Chapter 5 - "Danger"

Remembering You...

 

And I watch as the cold winter melts into spring

And I'll be remembering You

Oh and I'll smell the flowers and hear the birds sing

And I'll be remembering You, I'll be remembering You

And I'll be remembering,

The dark night, the hard fight

The long climb up the hill knowing the cost

The brave death, the last breath

The silence whispering that all hope was lost

The thunder, the wonder that brings the dead back to life.

 


 

My second week in Seoul passed by quickly, every day being blessed with the appearance of Jiyong. After our kiss, Jiyong had asked to see me again soon, and I was elated to agree. We met again accidently when I went on another exploration, and it was our routine then on.

 

He never came into my apartment let alone stay the night, which was my request. I still always imagined my mother's nagging voice about letting him stay that one night. In reality, I could never breathe a word of it to my parents for I knew my mother would demand my father to drive all the way from Busan to take my home. No, Jiyong was never mentioned in the conversations with my mother.

 

Jiyong didn't mind this either, and he told me that he didn't speak of me to his brothers. I was stunned to hear that he had siblings, but I didn't want to pry. I knew better than to do so. Jiyong always shied away when I tried to learn more about his personal life, and I thought I knew why.

 

He was afraid that he'd scare me off. Whatever dark secrets he had, I wanted him to trust me with them, but our relationship was too delicate still. I had to earn that trust just like he had to earn mine. We had such an understanding of each other that was so sweet and dear I cry when I think about it now.

 

"You're so cute," Jiyong laughed as he kissed my hair. He always said things like that making me feel special. I was the apple in his eye, all he wanted. He was all I needed, all I loved.

 

I blushed at his words leaning in closer to his form. Voluntarily he pulled me closer, and we continued to walk down the sidewalk like a lovesick couple. We'd get reproaching stares, but Jiyong just smiled pompously at everyone who did so. He was so proud to have me.

 

"What are you doing tonight?" I asked. My hopes were high that he was free to just stay with me. I'd blissfully walk to nowhere as long as if I was with him. I would willingly walk into another bar and dance in the smoke, loud music, and dimmed lights. I just wanted to be with him.

 

The look on his face didn't promise any of that.

 

"I have another…family meeting." He looked softly down at me, and I glanced away. I was still new at such a serious relationship as this one. I had no clue what I was supposed to do, but I still understood. I couldn't be upset.

 

He stopped, causing me to stop.

 

When I turned to ask him what was up, his lips crashed into mine. He swung me down holding me in his arms securely. Playing along I popped up my leg and therefore completed our picture of the prince kissing the princess dramatically. It lasted longer than I expected. Jiyong was usually really skittish about getting too close in public. I still hadn't figured out why.

 

He pulled away standing upright with me still in his arms. We stared into each other's eyes before roaring in laughter as some guy walked by grumbling, "Crazy kids."

 

"I'll see you later then," I told him, batting my eyelashes. We had made it to my apartment door, laughing the whole way. He tucked a stray hair behind my ear with a calloused hand. Before he dropped it to his side, I grabbed it and gave it a squeeze. Standing on my tip-toes with the help of him leaning down we said goodbye through a small peck on the lips.

 

I waited until he reached the stairs before entering my empty, lonesome home. My heavy sigh echoed off the bare walls as I kicked off my shoes. I was worn out, but I didn't feel like I could fall asleep. So, I decided to make something to eat instead.

 

I took out a box of macaroni and set to work. Seeing that my relationship with Jiyong was still new, I missed him incredibly quick. That was the evening where I mused over what exactly he had to do at these "meetings". What was it that he was hiding from me?

 

A wall inside my head slammed down in front of my thoughts blocking them from moving forward. I glared at the boiling water, my lips pursed tightly. I didn't want to try and figure out the mystery, I was too scared.

 

Why should it matter anyway?

 

I stirred the cooking macaroni in an attempt to calm down my panicked thoughts. It didn't matter. No matter what Jiyong was doing didn't bother me. He was mine that was all that I cared about.

 

I strained the steaming macaroni before putting it in a bowl to mix in the cheese. I wasn't huge fan of mac-and-cheese, but the smell still caused my mouth to water. I went into what was supposed the living room and took a seat in the middle of the floor.

 

But was he being safe?

 

Growling in frustration I stabbed some macaroni with my fork. He had no earthly idea how distraught I was when he was away. How could I go to school in Busan and leave him here? I chewed slowly considering this. I was sure that I could talk to Jiyong about it because…that's what couples do, right?

 

A sudden pitter patter upon my window caught my attention. I realized then that it had started raining unexpectedly. The once clear, blue skies had dramatically transformed into dark, threatening clouds.

 

"Wow," I whispered. So, there I ate listening to the thunderstorm roar out its anger. I was able to tune it out with my focused daydreaming.

 

You know how in a story the author writes the scene according to what mood he or she wants the reader to feel? It seems like now as I tell this chapter of my life that I'm doing the same thing. Of course, at the time I just thought it as an insignificant change in the weather.

 

 

It was about two hours after Jiyong had left when someone was pounding at my door breaking me from my reverie. My head snapped towards my door slightly frightened at what was on the other side. Nonetheless I built up the courage to get up and open the door. I had every right to be afraid.

 

Jiyong was pallid with sickening dark circles around his eyes, and he was holding his stomach. His usually shining, laughing brown eyes were dull and dead. He was soaking wet with his hair clinging to his face, and he was shivering. He resembled a ghost, and I was indeed terrified.

 

"Hey, baby," he croaked, his lips barely forming into a smile. I struggled to catch him as he fell forward. I couldn't even scream, I was so scared. The adrenaline rush, though, allowed me to drag Jiyong to my bed.

 

The first thing that came to mind was to get him out of his wet clothes, and I started for his shirt. He was reluctant to move his arm. The caution in his eyes wasn't hard to detect, and I hesitantly pried his arm away from his stomach. His white shirt was stained deep red, and I choked back tears.

 

I had to stay strong, and I stared into his eyes the rest of the time as I pulled off his shirt. After taking off his shoes and socks I also pulled of his jeans blushing the whole time. I ran to the bathroom for the first aid kit my mother forced me to bring. I thanked her for it afterwards.

 

I hurried back to Jiyong's side thrashing through the contents of the kit. I'm sad to admit that I had no experience of bandaging or even cleaning wounds. Seeing my confusion, Jiyong had muttered unclearly what to do. I followed his instructions with shaky hands.

 

Every time he had groaned in pain or even took in a sharp breath, I pulled my hands back until he reassured me he was fine. I didn't notice that I was crying the whole time until the tears slid off my face onto the bandages.

 

"Hey," Jiyong coughed, "at least now I'll have a cool scar to impress you with."

 

It relieved me that the bleeding, ghostly man in front me was still MY Jiyong. When I finished with his wound, I wrapped all the sheets on my bed snuggly around Jiyong then got a quilt from my closet. This I used to place over both of us as I lay beside him. All my concentration was on keeping him warm.

 

"Thanks, Dara." I only answered with a sob. He truly was an idiot.

 

But so was I because not once did I think to call 911. What if he had needed more medical help that what I provided? He could've died that very night, but I was selfish. I didn't want him away from me any longer. He was apart from me for a mere two hours, and he had been stabbed during that time.

 

How could I go to Busan now? How could I possibly leave him?

 

I stayed up listening to the thunder with the same question whispering my head long. Jiyong's soft snores lulled me to relaxation, and something told me he was going to be there alive the next morning. With this blessed thought, I finally dozed off to dream of simpler times when I was still a little girl.

 

I realize now that's when it had gone too far. That was the point that should've convinced me that my relationship with Jiyong needed to end. It was dangerous for both of us, but it pains me to say once again that I was naive. I didn't know. But he did.