Chapter 3 - "The City"

Remembering You...

 

And I watch as the cold winter melts into spring
And I'll be remembering You
Oh and I'll smell the flowers and hear the birds sing
and I'll be remembering You, I'll be remembering You

 

 

 

It was oddly comfortable being under Jiyong's arm feeling the reassuring warmth that kept me safe. Of course I still felt rather humiliated that I had needed saving in the first place. Country girls were supposed to be tough, and I was. A guy with a gun, though, was scarier than I had imagined.

 

"What are you doing out here?" I looked up to study Jiyong's carefree face. He stared back waiting for my answer. I became interested in the ground as I muttered,

 

"I couldn't fall asleep." Jiyong laughed good naturedly and pulled me closer. Normally I would've felt offended and pushed away from him. That was the standard Dara behavior. But I didn't.

 

I accepted this small hug even allowing a smile to form. I instantly felt better about everything, and my mother's warning had disappeared in these new feelings that started to spur.

 

"Where are we going?" I was losing recognition of my surroundings. Instead of this causing worry and panic, it brought excitement.

 

"Um, not really sure," Jiyong replied with that dumb smirk. The only thing that was beginning to scare me was how mesmerized I was by that same smirk. Still, I raised the skeptical eyebrow.

 

"You're not sure? So, we're just gonna walk around aimlessly?" Amusingly enough, Jiyong looked as if he were deep in thought. I fought back a fit of giggles at the expression of his face. He was really working the hamster at the moment.

 

"Want to go to a bar?" I had never been a bar or anything, so naturally I was a little hesitant. What had convinced me was the eager face that Jiyong had. My heart melted, and I had said, "Sure," without even thinking about my answer.

 

It was a blur after Jiyong had elatedly grabbed hold of my hand and ran in some direction. I just worked my legs to keep up with him. I guess you could call me dumb (which I was) because what smart person would actually be going through with this?

 

Jiyong saved my life, but he could be just as dangerous as the other man. In fact, this could be all a master plan of his to make me trust him then he kills me or something. That thought almost made me pull away from Jiyong and run the other direction. Almost.

 

It was similar to committing a sin, you know? You know it's wrong to back talk your parents when you should respect them, but you do it anyway. I shouldn't have been with Jiyong in the middle of the night, but I was. And I was enjoying it, which was even worse.

 

I didn't realize that Jiyong had stopped until I clumsily bumped into his back. He turned and smirked keenly. I was so fascinated I didn't apprehend where we had even stopped. Then I heard the blasting music and obnoxious laughing. I turned to my right and saw the bar; I vaguely wondered how I didn't notice it.

 

"This," Jiyong jabbed his thumb towards the bar, "is my favorite place."

 

Somehow it made sense, and it helped me understand more. Jiyong liked to party apparently, and college gets in the way of that. Jiyong was carefree with no worries, so why should he be afraid of knocking out a guy with a gun?

 

It made sense, yet I was still confused. Jiyong was chatting animatedly as he pulled me towards the bar. I didn't hear anything he said because I was deafened by my own thoughts.

 

Perhaps…I wasn't supposed to figure out Jiyong. Because…because that was what attracted me to him.

 

Someone rudely slammed into me, distracting me from my thoughts. I was brought back to reality to once again acknowledge my current surroundings. I instantly felt out of place.

 

All the girls here were wearing tight, revealing clothing with too much make up, and they made themselves way too comfortable on the laps of grungy, scary men. Subconsciously, I stuck very close to Jiyong.

 

It was clear to see that this wasn't my typical scene. I received curious and even hateful looks from the people around me.

 

"I need a beer," Jiyong yelled over the music at the bartender, who was a large tattooed man. He eyed me probably judging my age, but he handed over a beer to Jiyong. I watched doe-eyed as Jiyong chugged half of it.

 

"Let's dance," Jiyong voice slurred excitedly as he pulled me into the crowd. I stood like a stiff doll not sure what to do. Back home I didn't attend many parties let alone dance in public.

 

Jiyong made up for my lack of dancing. It was hilarious, and I couldn't fight back to the roars of laughter. I danced only slightly, seeing that Jiyong's outrageous moves would hide my own.

 

And that's what we did the entire night with Jiyong having a drink every now and then.

 

It was wrong. Sickly wrong.

 

But I loved every moment of it.

 

It just felt right to be doing something wrong for once. To be rebel. Back home, I was so sheltered with the same routine every day. The only difference was the clouds being diverse every day. Let me tell you, it was quite boring.

 

Jiyong brought diversity, a different life style. Watching him get drunk and dance to the beat without a care was fun. Until he collapsed from being drunk.

 

"Come on, Jiyong. Help me out here," I grunted shoving Jiyong's weight back onto me. The big oaf just tripped over his own two feet. I growled under my breath.

 

"Sssssorry," he slurred. I rolled my eyes as I tried to brace myself to keep from falling. I wasn't sure what to do with Jiyong. I had no clue where he lived, but I couldn't have just left him on the dance floor to be trampled. The only choice I had was to take him to my apartment.

 

I'll tell the truth that I wasn't too keen on that idea. Too bad the odds weren't in my favor; therefore, I was forced to find my way back home carrying a drunk guy who was way heavier than he looked.

 

"What's the country-side like?" Jiyong asked half dazed and drunk. I peered down at him stunned by his random question. I was quiet for a moment thinking over my answer.

 

"It's vast and empty for the most part. There's plenty of privacy, and it's serene. The mountains are beautiful especially when the sun's rays hit them on a cloudy day. Birds sing everyday and crickets join in when the sun sets; it's a natural lullaby. There was a creek close to where I lived.

 

My sisters and I used to go down there and stick our feet in the clear, cool water. We'd just follow the stream and try to catch the little fish. There was also a barn nearby that same creek, and we'd play in there. We especially liked climbing up in the haylofts. It was fun to make up ghost stories.

 

There's not much too it, I suppose. But it's still home."

 

I paused finally aware of the tears stinging my eyes. It was then I realized how much I missed home and how alone I felt.

 

"It sounds nice…" Jiyong tripped again, and I held close to his frame. He was very close, and his breath tickled my ear. I wasn't alone. I had him. No matter how stupid it was for feeling that way, I still had him.

 

"You like the city, okay?" My eyes soften at the drunken idiot. I looked up at the world around me. I always liked the city lights, the reassuring sound of cars meaning life, and the huge buildings. In a way, the city had its only beauty that could be respected.

 

"Yeah," I whispered, "I like it a lot."

 

 


 

Annyeong everyone!! Thanks for all the love. Keke :) Short update. Sorry. Well, this is just a short story after all. Haha Anyway, you guys are right. This is Turn Out The Lights-inspired. It's also a litlle similar to Jhana's I'm Dating Mr. Gangster. (Hi Jhana! XD)

So, there. Haha See you soon! :D