Chapter 2 - "Saviour"

Remembering You...

 

And I found myself in the gifts that you gave.

You gave me so much, and I, I wish you could stay,

But I'll, I'll wait for the day.

 

 

Back home, I came home to a decent sized house with flowers all in the front, an open backyard, and it was just so free. It really put things in perspective when I reached my shabby, closed in apartment. Home Sweet Home.

 

I hadn't gotten to know my neighbors very well, but something told me that it was better off that way. So, I walked to my apartment door without anyone stopping me for conversation. Unlocking the door I walked in the bare apartment. I had a few boxes lying around and basically no furniture.

 

I didn't really see the need for the usual comfort items when I wasn't going to be living there for very long. The most I had was a bed, which I'll admit was sad. I'd still keep my reasons as a good enough excuse.

 

My feet were killing me from walking around all day, so I headed towards my bedroom. While I did this I had my cell phone in hand and saw that I had four missed calls all from Omma. It never ceased to amaze me how much a mother could worry. Thankfully I didn't have any voicemails from her.

 

I slumped down on my bed, exhausted. I debated on whether I should call my mother back or not. It'd be a real pain since I was so worn-out, but if I didn't, she'd have panic attack. I sighed and called her.

 

Ring…Ring…Ring….

 

"Hello? Dara?"

 

"Omma."

 

"Why haven't you answered my calls?" Despite my mother's furious tone I smiled. She was always overreacting.

 

"I was out exploring. My phone was in my bag on silent mode. Sorry."

 

"Well, at least you called me back," she said, sounding only a tad bit upset. "You said you went 'exploring'? Anything interesting happen?"

 

Jiyong came to mind, and I was tempted to tell her everything that had happened. I couldn't do that, I knew. Telling your mom that you were almost mugged and that you bought a drink for that same person while having a conversation wasn't the smartest thing. I guess I could just leave that part out.

 

"I met a guy," I told her nonchalantly, shrugging. Much to my annoyance, my mother gasped rather loudly.

 

"A guy? Dara, honey, you have to be careful up there! You can't just talk to random men." She scolded like a good ol' mom. I found her words amusing. For some reason I couldn't put the word "men" with Jiyong. It was weird thinking of him as a man.

 

The weird thing was that Jiyong technically was considered a man. An even weirder thing? When I had thought, it sent an unexpected shiver of pleasure through my body.

 

"We just talked, Omma," I reassured my worrisome mother. She sighed at my response. Apparently to her I never listened to what she had to say, and I was too "carefree" for my own good. At least I was going to college and making something for myself. Jiyong…

 

"Did he tell you his name?" That wasn't a question I was expecting. It was also something I was very unwilling to answer.

 

"Jiyong," I revealed very reluctantly. Oh, I knew what was coming.

 

"Jiyong? Dara, that sounds like something they name gang members!" Of course, the typical panicking mom answered. They always had a make-a-mountain-out-of-a-mole-hill about everything you said. A gang member? Was she for real?

 

He did try to steal your bag.

 

"It's okay, Omma," I replied quickly. "I'll probably never see him again anyway." I sounded like I was trying to convince myself and not Mom. We had little petty gangs in Busan, but the suggestion of Jiyong being in a gang here sounded more threatening.

 

"You better not," Mom warned (it was a little half assed if you ask me). "Well, I better go and start on dinner. I love you, baby girl."

 

"I love you too. Bye." I hung up and threw my phone beside me. Yeah, I was pretty sure I'd never see Jiyong again. I just didn't know if I’m glad about that or not.

 

Later that night I just couldn't stop tossing and turning. Earlier I was about to pass out but now I couldn't even get a wink of sleep. Ugh, it frustrated me! And you want to know who I blamed?

 

Jiyong! He just had implanted himself in my head like he had his own little reserved spot. I just couldn't stop seeing his face or hearing his voice. It was driving me insane. I had to do something to get him out of my mind.

 

But what? As I mentioned before I had absolutely nothing in my home. Back in Busan, it would be easy for me to call up some friends, and we could dive in the beach with all our clothes on or even go cow tipping. I had countless possibilities there. I wasn't in Busan, though, I was in Seoul City-a city I had only explored during the day.

 

Before I could change my notions, I jumped out of bed and pulled on some blue jeans, a white tank top, and a thin gray jacket. I slipped on some very unattractive, filthy sneakers and ran out the door.

 

It amazed me how empty the once crowded streets were. I walked not seeing a single person. Then again I was still just around neighborhoods and not the main parts of the city.

 

I looked around me. I couldn't see the stars, which disappointed me. In Busan, you could always see them, and it was beautiful every night. Homesickness hit me finally, and it was hard to ignore.

 

"Growing up ," I mumbled while walking in a dark alley.

 

A sudden crash from the alley I was passing caught me off guard. I froze staring wide eyed in the darkness of the alley. Paranoia swept over me as I began to imagine huge, monstrous figures dancing in the shadows.

 

I gasped holding back a scream as a filthy white cat appeared out of those threatening shadows and ran down the street. I stood there watching it run until I could see it no longer. Suddenly I laughed at myself.

 

A cat? There were millions of those in Busan, and I let one scare me. Shaking my head at my own stupidity, I began to walk on again. When I did, I was face to face with a revolver held by a hooded figure.

 

I was stupid. For a young lady who was going to one of the best colleges in the South Korea, I was pretty darn right retarded. I should've known better than to have walked out in the middle of the night. In Seoul City of all places!

 

"Get in that alley," he growled. My stomach churned at the sick glint in his eyes. I really did not want to go in the alley, but I also really didn't want to die. Therefore, I hesitated in my decision whether to comply or get shot. I remember thinking maybe I could have kicked him in a very sensitive spot that I could run away. Then I feared if I did that then the sudden pain would make him clutch his gun and pull the trigger. I didn't know what to do.

 

"BANANA CREAM PIE!" The voice cut us both off guard. Confused the man turned around, putting his gun done. In instant too fast for me to even think about running, the man was on the ground, passed out.

 

I looked in awe at Jiyong, who had just became my brave knight in shabby clothing, as he grinned broadly back at me. He rested the lead pipe he had used as a weapon on his shoulder.

 

"Thanks," I mumbled, embarrassed at the situation I had got myself in. Jiyong said nothing as he threw the lead pipe in the alley. I watched him silently, and he just smiled back at me. Then he offered his arm to me.

 

He saved me, so even though my inner voice was screaming no, I linked arms with him while rolling my eyes.

 


 

Hi everyone!! Thank you for commenting and subscribing! This is just a short story. Maybe 7-8 chapters. So, how was the 2nd chapter? :)