Chapter VI

A Heart of Glass

 

 

 

  The chilling evening air greeted Sooyung as she half stumbled half ran. She didn’t care where she was or where she was going— all that mattered was she had to get away. The bright city lights with its motley of yellow, white and the occasional neon became a blur, adding an illuminating glow to the dark landscape. Sooyung’s legs almost gave out on several occasions, but she just kept running.

 

        Finally, she managed to find an empty bench facing the Han River. Sooyung sat on the bench, the metal the little warmth she had out of her. The night sky, dotted with distant flecks of light, glimmered, a delicate ornament to an otherwise enchanting night.

 

        Under the glow of the starlight, Sooyung made a wish on the North Star: she wished for Suho to realize and return her feelings. Sooyung knew it was useless and futile, but it didn’t hurt to try.

 

        She took another look at the sky. To simply put it, it was breathtaking. The various hues of indigo and violet with a tinge of green swirled together like a watercolor painting, the colors running into each other, any artist’s masterpiece. If only she could be that beautiful, that ethereal, then maybe, just maybe Suho will realize her feelings. If only.

 

        Then, she took a look at the dark, churning river in front of her. How easy it was, just one tiny slip or misstep, and she could leave everything behind, all the pain and suffering. She was sure of it. Nobody would miss her, not even her own family. They would just brush it off like dust in the dining room. Meaningless and insignificant.

 

Although Sooyung acted like she didn’t really needed friends, she yearned for a friend on the inside. The loneliness had been eating her alive for the past few years. Every day, she would see her fellow classmates gathered in cliques, chatting about the latest gossip while she, on the other hand, would just walk hallways alone, a shadow.

 

Sooyung took small cautious steps towards the river, looking over her shoulder to check if anyone is watching. No one. She was alone like always. Just as she was about to step over the edge, she heard a rowdy chatter. She peered through the darkness, trying to locate the sound. It was none other than Suho and his group of model students.

 

She watched them. For a long time, they were just bantering around, making loud jokes followed by raucous laughter. Someone heartily slapped Suho on the back after he told a witty anecdote. A bit too hard. Suho fell, his body tumbling through space and into the rushing river. Without a second thought, Sooyung stepped over the edge.