Chapter V

A Heart of Glass

 

 

   

   To the mentally intact mind, Kai probably spoke those words out of jealousy, not out of hatred or spite. Well, maybe a little bit; even so, one can be sure he didn’t mean it. But Sooyung wasn’t mentally intact at the moment, so none of the previous statements applied.

 

        “Maybe Kai’s right for once. I really deserve to die,” she murmured to herself in her dorm.

 

      “I mean, everybody hates me so much to the point I get a dorm to myself,” she closed her eyes as if waiting for someone to agree with her.

 

        “I’m just a burden to everyone else; Suho just asked that question out of pity and to maintain his caring class president image. Why do I even try anymore?” The words slipped out of her like October rain splashing on to pavement. Cold and merciless.

 

        She grabbed a nearby knife, slightly blunt with usage but still sharp enough to pierce skin. It gave off a silvery sheen in the dim light, the edge almost inviting Sooyung to touch it.

 

        Sooyung carefully ran her fingers along the edge, admiring the beauty of such a deadly tool.

 

        “So it’s true,” she whispered to herself, “what gives life also takes it away.” With that said, she placed the blade on her wrist, pressing it into her flesh ever so gently. The crimson liquid seeped out quietly, trickling down her hands and on to the floor.

 

        “They say those who take their own life are weak, but in fact, it is they who are strong enough to endure the pain. Life is too precious to waste, but what is so precious about it when nobody out there cares for you?” Sooyung said to no one in particular. The small gurgling stream of blood had become a flowing river, gushing out of her wrists at a steady rhythm. She smiled in satisfaction. The pain she felt in her heart had paled in comparison to the pain she felt now. It was acute, and Sooyung could feel the mist in her mind clearing up. She can finally “think” clearly for the first time in days.

 

        “Hey, Sooyung, do you hav— oh my god, what are you doing?” a voice interrupted her thoughts.

 

        Sooyung slightly turned her head to see the owner of the voice, who happened to be Suho.

 

        “Is there something you need?” she asked, oblivious of his shock.

 

        “Yes, are you stupid or something? Why are you slitting your wrists?” Suho yelled at her after he recovered from his initial shock.

 

        “I— you’re stupid and weak for not considering the consequences for your actions” Suho cut in before she could deliver her reply.

 

        “I know the finals are stressful, but that doesn’t mean you should take the easy way out.”  Suho continued his rant. The finals? That’s what he’s worked up about? Oh god, the irony.

 

        “By staying strong and studying, and not slitting your wrists shows resilience and determination. I thought higher of you, Kim Sooyung. But clearly, I was wrong,” Suho shook his head in disappointment.

 

        “Do you know why I hurt myself? It’s because the finals don’t matter anymore because my life will be ending in two weeks.” Sooyung finally explained in a cracked whisper.

 

        “What? Why? Have you alerted the college about this?” Suho was appalled by Sooyung’s revelation.

 

        “I-I’m in a late stage of sickle cell anemia. The doctor says I only have two weeks to live.” Sooyung mumbled, ashamed that Suho had to find out.

 

        “Wait, I’m sorr—” Suho was about to apologize when Sooyung ran out, mumbling something about getting fresh air and time to think. Their shoulders brushed for the briefest moment, but it was enough to give Sooyung the equivalent of an electric shock. She sighed, and left the dorm.

 

        Suho slumped to his knees, near that crimson puddle.


I know I already said this but Sooyung will not be dying from sickle cell anemia. And I realized I had foreshadowed Sooyung's death. Oh well, that's not the surprise.