Chapter I

A Heart of Glass

        Sooyung has always looked up to Suho. He was the epitome of perfection. Kind, considering, the class president, and ranked first in the district, who could not like him? But for Sooyung, this feeling was much deeper than simple admiration. Yes, she can confidently say that she was in love with Suho. But there was one problem: Suho was completely oblivious of her feelings.

 

        He treated her like he treated everyone else. He never spared an extra glance at her. He knew Kim Sooyung as the reserved classmate whose scores immediately followed his. All this caused Sooyung to cry herself to sleep at night, knowing Suho was so close, yet so far. But they also the reason for her rare smiles— an upward curving of the lips may seem insignificant, but for Sooyung, it expressed absolute bless. She would steal glances at Suho during class, admiring him from the shadows despite her heart splintering into bleeding shards.

 

        Although Sooyung harbored deep feelings for Suho, she had never gathered her courage to confess to him and never will. Naturally, her heart was mercilessly ripped in two one day after class.

 

 

        It was another day in college. The lecture had been beyond boring; the lectured material was something Sooyung had covered three months ago. She could have easily skipped class knowing the professor wouldn’t have cared. But she still attended anyways just because she can see Suho.

 

        She saw Suho at the vending machine, conversing with Mi Young, one of the popular and attractive girls on campus. Sooyung saw this and ducked her head, pretending to line up behind them to get a drink. Mi Young was flirtatiously twirling a strand of her hair while batting her mascara-coated eyelashes one too many times.

 

        “Oppa,” she began in a sugary tone. Sooyung began to feel like she might throw up her breakfast, but on second thought, she never had breakfast in the first place.

 

        “Yes, is there something I can help you with?” Suho, being the polite one, responded with a gentleman air. If he was someone else, he probably would have run away screaming.

 

        Mi Young leaned closer, too close for Sooyung’s comfort. The distance between Suho and her nose was less than a few inches.

 

        “Will you go out with me?”

 

        That did it for Sooyung. That one sentence brought her entire world crashing down on her; the words cut her more than any knife will. Suho had every reason to accept Mi Young’s feelings— she was gorgeous, her hair always had that perfect shape and volume, her makeup was perfectly done, and a long list of other perfections Mi Young had. How could Sooyung compare to the divine being known as Mi Young?

 

        Common sense told her to flee in order to save her heart from fracturing into a fine dust. Witnessing Mi Young asking Suho out had already dissected her in half, and she didn’t need to see Suho accepting Mi Young’s feelings. Holding back her tears with an iron will, she quickly left the vending machine and proceeded to her dormitory. Nobody saw that single tear spill from her eyes and dropped to the ceramic ground with a soft plink.