A friend with Junhong

A friend with Junhong

            I swung myself slowly on the swing, letting my feet drag on the ground.  There was a little trench that had started and it kept growing with every passing minute.  My brother’s life was changing; the girl that he loved dumped him for another man.  And I was left to pick up the pieces to help him through this hard time. 

            I was glad that it was summer, most of my thinking could be done outside and late into the night, I looked up at the night sky, only seeing the lights from the city that covered the stars above.  I watched as two hands grabbed hold of the chain of the swing to stop me, and seen Junhong’s face come into view.  “What do you want?” I asked sourly.  I didn’t like people coming to me when I’m in deep thought.

            “Your mom got worried, and she had me go out to look for you,” he said softly as he let go of the chain and started to push me softly on the swing.  The relationship between Junhong and I was that not only were neighbors, but we also were good friends.  We go to the same school and we have that close brother/sister bond going on.  “So, tell me, what’s on your mind noona?” he asked as he kept pushing me softly on the swing.

            I sighed heavily; he knew the details of all of what has been going on.  The girl that my brother was dating had been a good friend of Junhong’s and mine for years.  Until that she felt that we didn’t met up to her standard of friends and ditched us.  She was acting like a child, and wasn’t seeing the pain that she was putting every one through.  I was about to open my mouth when my phone started to vibrate.  I knew who it was and I wasn’t going to talk to that cold hearted .  She had hurt too many people as is and I wasn’t going to get hurt more by her.

            “Noona,” Junhong cooed softly, this time, the soft pushes stopped all together.  I closed my eyes to figure out the right words, and I was also preparing myself to fight back the tears that I knew would be shed as I told him the story of what was going on.

            “She’s been cheating on my brother,” I managed to get the words out of my mouth, but I was struggling to keep the tears held in.  “She’s been two timing my brother for the past month and I was the one that told him about it.  Now, she has the balls to say that she wasn’t when she has a guy staying at her place.  She has guts to tell him that Junhong, first she ditched us after middle school, because she thought she was too cool for us, and then we met up with her in high school for a little bit before she left for college, and now she thinks her doesn’t stink.”  It was getting harder for me to keep back the tears.  I could tell my voice was weaving in and out and Junhong could pick up on it.

            He walked up in front of me and grabbed my hands along with the chain.  He knelt down so that we were eye to eye, and I see the sparkle in his eyes from the tears that were starting to form.  “Noona,” he whispered, “it’s time that we both move on this time and don’t look back.  We both need to be a rock for hyung as he deals with this hardship, but we both knew what she could do to him.  We’ve seen her do it time and time again; it was bound to happen at some point.”  Junhong was right.  She had the long history of cheating on her lovers, and my brother was just another one of her victims that she had lost her feelings for and couldn’t leave him.

            This time it was his phone that vibrated.  He let go of my hands and looked down at the name on the screen.  He smiled softly as he messaged back and hit send before laying his hands on top of mine.  I looked at him with a puzzled glance and he just smiled at me.  “Jongup,” was all he said, and I could feel the heat in my face.  Jongup was a friend of Junhong’s that he met in our first year in high school.  He was a few years older than us, but he still hung around us. 

            “What did oppa want?” I asked, I knew Junhong could see me blushing.  He also knew that I had a slight crush on Jongup, but he also knew something about Jongup that he wouldn’t tell me.  I always feared it would be Jongup having a girlfriend, but he was too shy and he still didn’t act the same around me as he did with Junhong.

            “He wanted to see if I found you and if you are ok, he was worried about you too,” Junhong said.  My foot had started digging the trench again as I thought about every one that I worried with running off.  I was mad and wanted to clear my head and didn’t tell anyone where I was going.  Junhong was the only person that knew when I got mad and needed to cool off that this park was my hiding spot.  It had been for all of my life.  When I was a kid my mom took me here and it made me happy to be here playing.  However, as I grew up, she didn’t take me here as much, so when I was able to leave the house on my own, I would come here for a few hours and just sit and think.  I was happy in this little park, and I still am.

            “Noona, we should get going,” Junhong said as he intertwined his fingers in with mine to pull me out of the swing.  I let him pull me up; I really didn’t want to move.  However, I would follow Junhong to the end of the world if he asked me to do that with him. I looked up at the night sky one more time, and letting a tear fall onto my face, then next few days were going to be hell.  I was just glad that Junhong, and Jongup would always be by my side when I need them the most.