Kevin's story.

Broken Angel Across The Street

“I had an interesting story when I was pre-natal. Well, actually it happened when I wasn’t even convinced.”

 

“My mother is a Korean. She worked in a restaurant in Seoul. I didn’t know how come, but my mother fell in love with an American man. Then they dated. A year after that, my mother took him to meet her family formally, in order to propose to her.”

 

“The respond was rather unexpected. My mother’s parents didn’t accept him, not even as a proper guest. They told my mother and her boyfriend that my mother was going to marry someone else. That someone else is one of the richest man’s son of the region that time. They were really short in financial, so...they sold my mother to that man. My mother was later locked inside her room, and she never met his lover again. When she got out of the room three days later, she was already dressed up for a marriage ceremony.”

 

“The rich man who married to my mother was a nice man. He was never intended to marry her, as well, it was all his parent’s forceful act. Though it happened to him, he always treated my mother well. He didn’t even touch her, knowing that her heart wasn’t belonged to him. My mother almost sobbed every day, but he was always there for her to comfort her.”

 

“One day, he decided to take her to a vacation. That’s what he told her parents. The truth was...he took her to meet her long lost love. I didn’t know how he arranged all that. For sure, he told my mother to spend the rest of the weekend with him. My mother never thought that her husband would be that sincere to her. My mother thanked him and she used well the whole weekend with that American man.”

 

“Do you know old my mother was, that time? Nineteen.”

 

“Sunday evening, the husband picked her up from her vacation, back to their house. Her acts toward her husband changed completely. She turned into a cheerful, obedient wife. She didn’t know how to thank him for his kindness. At the same time, she felt guilty for making him sacrificing his own feeling, only for her happiness. A few days later, she confessed to his husband that she’s not pure anymore. His husband wasn’t surprised, but she knew he was disappointed, badly. The same day, she let him touch her for the very first time. For the first time, that day, they’re husband and wife.”

 

“Three months later, my mother was known pregnant.”

 

“The husband never questioned about the father of the womb. My mother was feeling guilty and happy at the same time. She had never met a man like her husband. His heart was purer than hers, for sure. Since then, my mother decided to bury her memories with the American man. Later, they found out that they’re having a twin.”

 

“Months after that, my mother was in labor, and her husband stay right beside her every minute. She looked very sick that time. Her husband even cry seeing her in pain. She gave birth to her first son at 5:00PM. The doctor said that my mother couldn’t be saved, so did her first son’s twin. Then, a miracle occured. The second son started to show his slow-paced heartbeat. While my mother...the miracle didn’t happen to her.”

 

“Shortly, her wise husband made a decision to keep only one of the twin. The other one...he gave it to the American man. Both of the twin have a beautiful Korean look, just like their mother’s. My mother’s family never know about it. They only knew that the second twin was died before her.”

 

“I am that second son.”

 

You changed your sitting position, still not saying a word, only glancing at him with a smile, hoping he could read your face that you’re anticipating. Your eyeballs were wet. He saw it and smiled.

“I hope you’re not bored,” He his hand on your hair gently. “That’s not the end, though. We’re not yet there.” You smiled, couldn’t be more impressed by his silent charming charisma.

He’s more than a guy-I-knew-a-few-days-ago.

You were hypnotized. You didn’t know that he felt the same way when you flashed a smile. Oh, my goddess, he thought.

“I’m not bored. Carry on. I’m listening, oppa,” you removed his hand from your hair and clasped his fingers with yours.

 

He sighed and started again.

 

“So we have two fathers. They named us both Kevin. To make it easier to call us, the first son called Kev, while they called me Vinny.”

 

 “My father is the Korean one. He raised me well, even without a mother. My American father returned to his homeland when Kev and I were 6 years old. I and Kev used to be inseparable, you know? When Kev was taken away from me, I felt so sad. Like missing the half of me. But then, I realized that when I got sad, my father got even sadder than me. I was so guilty seeing him like that. My father raised me by himself, and I didn’t want to give a trace of pain in his life.”

 

“I promised myself to make him proud and not to be sad again.”

 

I’ve promised myself not to come back there ever. Never.

 

“My Korean father died of cancer when I was in highschool. I haven’t gave him my best yet. My American father offered me to live with them, but I refused. I chose to live my own way. He sent me some money monthly, pretty big number, which really helped me on my school life. I also graduated university in three years and a half. My American family attended my graduation, Kev, too. That time I had a girlfriend, so I was able to introduce her to them. It was the happiest moment of my life. I couldn’t ask for more in this life.”

 

“Somehow, fate interfered. I made the biggest mistake of my life.”

 

“I became a gambler. One day, a friend introduced me to a casino. The owner was his uncle. Someway, somehow, I was addicted. At first, I often won. The next plays, I won some, I lost some. After that, I was out of my mind. The game trapped me inside, like I couldn’t live without it. I got so drunk one day. I was so desperate, I hadn’t won anything that day, so I bet everything I had. Next morning, my house was already on lease.”

 

“I was so stupid. It wasn’t me. I was smart and educated. I got all that from my hard work, but I screwed it up myself. Isn’t it awful?”

 

“I went to my dad’s grave on the same day. Regretting my stupidity and how foolish I was. I bowed three times in front of his grave and started to talk to him in tears. I imagined he didn’t want to talk to me again. The image was so clear. I have to admit, I cried so loud there. Suddenly, the rain poured softly over the graveyard. The day was sunny, though. I thought to myself, maybe it’s my father’s answer. He probably cried up there. Or maybe it’s my mother’s tears. Either way, I have become a disappointment.”

 

“I started from the very beginning again. I didn’t have anything. I didn’t care about my life anymore. I even told my girlfriend to stay away from me. I rent a small house in the suburbs. All I could afford for the day were simple meals two times a day and boxes of aspirin to comfort myself. My life was too heavy for me, so...sometimes I took an aspirin or two to relieve myself. When I got headache, I took four. And when the headache lasted long, I took the entire strip.”

 

“That day, when I was at work, I consumed five, since my headache made me go crazy. Out of the sudden, blood dripped from my nostrils. My head spun like a flying frisbee. Then, it was black.”

 

“ Hours later, I woke up in a hospital. I barely recognize those people around me. Then, the doctor came in. He said that I suffered from accute liver failure. He also mentioned that I maybe suffer from amnesia for some time.”

 

“Since then, I knew I was counting down the days.”

 

“My memories gradually returned to their place, but the pain didn’t. I knew I deserve all the pain, but my family didn’t. So, I decided to tell my American father, and Kev, who was starting his career in music industry, to disappear from their lives. Of course I broke their hearts, but at least I knew, it’s going to be the last time. In return, Kev asked me to exchange last names, in order to keep the memories of me alive in him. I couldn’t say no. I love him so much, but yes, I still have to leave him for good.”

 

“Then we were reborn. Now I am Kevin Richie. He is Kevin Woo.”

 

“So here I am. Hiding from the world. Waiting for fate itself to pick me up to wherever it wants.”

 

You knew it was the end of the story since he turned his face at you and used his palms to wiped your tears.

“I’m sorry.” He whispered to you as he pulled you into his arms. You drowned your face to his broad shoulder as you ordered to yourself not to cry anymore. But it was useless. Your tears flew naturally, as your emotions embraced with his.

A few minutes had passed, and you started to calm down. You pulled yourself away from him and laughed weakly.

“Okay, tomorrow I’m going to be super ugly with these bulges under my eyes.”

“I’m sorry.” His hand cupped your cheeks.

“Don’t be.”

“Let’s go home. The sun will set, soon.” He took your hand and helped you to stand up.

“I’m still enjoying the view, oppa.” You actually wanted to say that you were too weak to go home. Your eyes were red because of crying.

 

He didn’t answer you. Instead, he carried the backpack on his chest and bent over himself.

“Hop to my back.” He said. You weren’t sure of what you hear. You were about to ask him again when he said, “Don’t make me say it twice.”

You lift your floral dress a few inches up, so you could climbed to his back easily. After you circled your arms around his shoulders and your legs secured in his hands, he carried you all the way to the car without a word.

 

Sungmin, I think you’ve sent me an angel from heaven.