hanging out.

Broken Angel Across The Street

At 6:00AM, the neighborhood was still at peace. Instead of joining the harmony, you were busy ironing the white hem you would wear for the Monday’s meeting. After you got the exact moisture level of the fabric, you left it at the ironing table and hurried to the kitchen. When you put it on the plate, the waffle was a little bit overdone, but you could just say ‘whatever’ as you buttered the top randomly. You took a spoonful into your mouth, and then ran upstairs to fix your face and hair. Four minutes later, you ran downstairs with ponytailed hair and simple make-up. You put on your warm hem, but you put it off on the next second. You wore it backwards.

 

After series of running and swearing, you finally got yourself together. You grabbed your bag and your coffee tumbler before you hopped into the car. After you put the car out of the carport, you got out and double checked your fence’s lock. When you’re about to enter the car, you heard a moan. A painful moan. You looked around to find the source, and finally made sure to yourself that it was Kevin’s. You eyed inside his window, but you didn’t make it to see him. You came back to your senses and hit the gas pedal immediately to your office.

 

The morning meeting went well. You gained a lot of confidence after some of your colleagues said that your look was beautiful. You checked your android phone, and found a text message.

[Kevin 8:12AM]

Hey, it’s me. I want to take Leelee for a walk. Any do’s and don’ts’?

[Gigi 8:57AM]

Sorry, I was on a meeting when you texted. Just don’t feed him with sweets, or any other fructose-based food. The strap is behind the fences. Thanks taking him to a walk! J

You were confused whether you should ask him about the moans or not. Your inquiring minds really wanted to know, but your conscience told you to be patient. You followed your conscience, then walked back to your working space.

 

You drove yourself home after a little shopping at the supermarket, with two plastic bags filling the passengers’ seat. You couldn’t live a day without tea. When you ran out of tea bags, you always go to the supermarket to buy a dozen or two.

You finally arrived at home, ending the first, also the busiest day of the week. You entered the kitchen, putting your groceries on the counter. It was a bit noisy when the cans made a clanking noise.

After shower, you put your loose t-shirt and your pajama trousers on. You went downstairs, checking email with your android phone. Then you realized something. You were looking for something you felt “not there”, but you didn’t know just yet. You were curious, but you put it aside as you typed something to reply the e-mails you just opened.

Your curiosity won your attention. You started looking around you. You checked the living room. Your electronic goods and furnitures were still there. Spotting the strap left on the floor, you realized that you hadn’t seen your dog anywhere.

You texted Kevin in an instant.

[Gigi 8:33PM]

Hey, I can’t find my dog. Have you seen him?

Your phone beeped.

[Kevin 8:34PM]

Come over. Leelee’s having a dinner with me. You should, too ^^

 

 

You were relieved that Leelee’s still around. You won’t have any idea if your pomeranian was stolen, or walked away from you. You crossed the street and entered Kevin’s house from the kitchen door because you saw him there. The aroma of fried sausages spread all over the room.

You greeted each other as soon as you entered the kitchen. He smiled widely and you could see his eunthusiasm feedback at your presence. He turned off the stove and put the sausages he just fried into a plate. He offered you the plate, and you accepted it. You both sit side by side at the kitchen’s stool. You were a little hesitate to eat at first, because he didn’t want to eat the same dish with you. Instead of that, he took a bowl and fill it with cornflakes and cold milk chocolate.

“Cornflakes for dinner? Interesting.”

“Ah yes. This is a light meal. I eat it as main course. Anyway, let’s eat!” He grabbed a spoonful and put it in his mouth one at a time.

“Will it make you full?” you asked him as you chewed the sausage.

“I don’t need to be full. Life is short, though.”

You stopped chewing for a second.

“What do you mean?”

“That’s why I moved here.” He answered flatly.

“Anyway again, don’t think about it. Don’t want to talk about it. Continue!” He added. His face expression was still calm as usual. Your mind, again, full of thought. Then you had a feeling that the person sitting next to you was dying. Inside your heart, you felt like you want to cry. You were so afraid. You had a bad memory of someone you love dying.

“Sungmin! Don’t leave me!”

The shadow of the past crept on your veins, as it struggled to weigh your heart rate down.

“Hey, is there something wrong?” Kevin broke the silence.

“Nothing.” I lied.

“But you’re crying.” He wiped my cheek with his thumb. “Is it because of me?” he asked.

“No.” You lied again.

 

You washed the dishes together and then you both walked to the living room. You saw Leelee was sleeping peacefully on a pillow near the bookshelf. Kevin told you not to wake Leelee up because it was hard to make it falling asleep.

You ended up sitting on the couch with him, watching re-run of Marry Me, Mary. You were a fan of Jang Geunseok and he was a fan of Moon Geunyoung. You both had watched the drama from A to Z, but still, the drama was really addicting. You and Kevin talked, commenting at every scene on.

You looked at your phone’s clock. It was 11:00 PM already. You knew you had to go to work tomorrow morning, but you decided to pend your bedtime. You didn’t know for sure, but you knew you both enjoyed the time you spent together.

When you were about to start another conversation, you saw his face changed expression. He turned pale, and his left hand massaging his head softly. You could see it from his eyes, he was in pain.

“Hey, you okay?” you asked him.

“Ssshhh! Don’t talk.” He closed his eyes, like trying to hold something inside.

“You look sick! Let me get some aspirin for you.”

“NO!” he yelled. Then, out of the sudden, blood dripped from his nostrils.

You automatically took a few steps back from him, since you’re having a haemophobia since a long time ago. But you realized that the man in front of you needed your help.

You grabbed a pack of tissue from the table and quickly stepped towards him. You wiped his nose, but he threw your hand away harshly.

“Get out of here!” he yelled at you, his hand pointing the door.

“Kevin...”

“Go!” he yelled again. Without a word, you walked out of his house without taking the sleeping Leelee with you.