San - One Of Them

The Wolf and the Beauty

It was maybe two weeks after the start of school and Luhan’s arrival, and he was fitting in just fine, contrary to his original expectations. It was Monday, and the EXO group was beginning the end of the first day of the week with a soccer game.

 

Focused, Luhan weaved between the opposing players, dribbling the ball effortlessly between his feet. He moved like the wind... No. That wasn’t accurate. His Force power wasn’t of the Free Spirit. He was the Displacer. It wasn’t just that he was too fast for them, it was as if they physically couldn’t catch him. His Force held them at bay.

 

Luhan’s team and the opposing team were tied 5-5. His teammates--his friends--were counting on him. He dashed down the field and before any of his opponents could think of how to counter, he kicked and landed the ball in the net at the end of the field.

 

“Score~!!!” he heard the ever hyper Chanyeol shout from the sidelines. “Go Luhan~ Go Luhan~” he started to sing.

 

Suho, Tao, Sehun and Baekhyun--his teammates--ran up and tackle-hugged him.

 

“That was so awesome! Where’d you learn moves like that?!” Baekhyun patted his back and squeezed his shoulders.

 

“Nice going Lulu,” Suho praised him. “Good job.”

 

“Dude! I can’t even remember the last time we beat Kai, Lay, Xiumin, DO and Chen! And stupid Derp-yeol won’t play for us!” Tao complained, leaning on Luhan with his arm around his shoulders.

 

“It wouldn’t be fair,” Sehun said. “Besides, he likes acting like a cheerleader more than playing on the field.” As if on cue there was a loud “Whoooooo~~!!!” coming from Chanyeol’s direction.

 

Luhan looked over to see Chanyeol Jumping up and down with his arms in the air, still cheering. He laughed at the tallest’s silliness. Then his eyes landed on Lihua. She smiled, waved and gave him two thumbs up. His heart swelled with pride... or maybe it was just his ego?

 

Kai and the rest of the losing team walked up. Kai kicked at loose stones in the field grass. “Well that . But you ruled the field though Luhan.”

“Yeah, I couldn’t even keep up with you!” Xiumin huffed, still tired.

 

“Good game,” DO slapped hands with him and bumped his shoulder.

 

“Thanks guys, but really, we all worked together. We all made it fun!” Luhan smiled at all of them.

 

Just then he was hoisted up into the air by a still cheering Chanyeol. “Ye~aaaaah!!! That was so daebak!!! You totally owned them!”

 

Once Chanyeol finally put him down, Sehun turned to him. “Hey, Lulu-hyung?”

 

“Yeah?”

 

“You're one of us, right?”

 

Luhan eyed Sehun’s innocent face. Thoughts and outcomes played out in his head. But when he saw the maknae start to frown lightly, he immediately said, “Of course I am. Why would you ask a question like that?”

 

Sehun beamed and embraced him in a vice-grip hug. Luhan laughed. He spotted Lihua out of the corner of his eye and turned to her.

 

“Wow, you’re even better than Kai,” she said. Kai “meh”ed behind Luhan. “Where’d you learn to play like that?”

 

“I... played a lot at my school back in Beijing.”

 

“Well now you can play for us!” Chen pounded him on the back.

 

Suddenly, DO glanced at his watch. “Ohh man!! I missed my Kung Fu classes!! Damn!! We were practicing takedowns today!”

 

“Kung Fu?” Luhan turned to DO. “Oh that’s nothing. I could teach you that!”

 

DO grasped his shoulders. “Really? Would you? Please teach me Hyung!”

 

“Sure.”

 

 

“Okay, so the first thing you want to do is brace yourself so you’ll be firm on your feet when your opponent throws an attack.”

 

They had all relocated to the roofed part of the Changdam courtyard.  Lihua and the rest of the boys all circled around Luhan and DO in the center. The two of them were in their stances a few feet from each other. DO stared down Luhan in concentration.

 

“When your opponent attacks”--Luhan took a step forward and slowly moved his fist towards DO--“you have to be prepared for it and react fast.”

 

Luhan grabbed DO’s arm and positioned it so it looked like he had blocked Luhan’s attack. “But of course, your opponent isn’t going to quit after one attack.” Luhan grabbed DO’s wrist and twisted it to the side, then went for another slow attack with his opposite fist. “So don’t let your guard down. Read his movements and his muscles and anticipate his next attack then block accordingly.”

 

This time DO instinctively moved his other arm up to block Luhan. Luhan moved to attack a third time, but DO missed the opportunity to block it. Luhan stopped to show him what he should have done. He nodded when he understood his mistake.

 

“Okay, now you’re going to attack me the same way I did you, and I’ll show you what you’re supposed to do when taking down an opponent.”

 

DO nodded and moved to copy Luhan’s movements, only this time with a bit more power. Luhan blocked the first, the second and caught the third attack then moved his opposite hand in, grabbed DO’s shoulder and moved his leg to trip him backwards. It was still pretty slow, but Lihua and the boys wowed and applauded anyway.

 

“Wow. I’m not sure I can do that,” DO questioned himself.

 

“Sure you can. Now I’ll attack you. Just remember my movements when I took you down and you’ll do fine.”

 

DO gulped but Luhan was already on him. DO blocked exactly like Luhan showed him and then moved his hand onto his shoulder and tripped him back with his heel. This time, the boys and Lihua applauded for DO. Luhan joined in.

 

“See? I told you! You just have to work hard at it!”

 

“You’re really good at everything!” DO exclaimed, slapping Luhan a high five.

 

“Practice makes perfect,” Luhan smiled.

 

“Alright, I think it’s time to get home,” Lihua announced. “Let’s go.”

 

“She’s right. We have school tomorrow,” Suho agreed.

 

“Aww come on!” Kai moved to sling his arms around Lihua and Luhan’s shoulders. DO added himself onto the other side of Luhan. “Can’t we at least stop by and get some sodas first? I’m starving!”

 

“Yeah, me too!” Xiumin patted his stomach. “That game worked up an appetite.”

 

“Well...” Suho considered it.

 

“Sodas it is!” Chanyeol decided himself. “Let’s go!”


Luhan and Lihua laughed, catching each other’s eyes, but not before Kai noticed them. He bit the inside of his cheek.

 

(I think you all know what comes next. ;) and thank you to all my subscribers. 14 overnight! wow!!! Kamsahamnida!!!)