Agape: You and Me

The Folded Wind
 
Agape - selfless, unconditional love; passionately committed to the well-being of others
 
 
Note: There might be a bit of foul language in this chapter. 
 
 

 

And she did succeed in protecting him, partially. Seohyun managed to convince Kris to move out of his home into a nearby apartment - ensuring that he would still "be his own man" because he would be paying for his own rent. Initially Kris had rejected the idea, adamant on the fact that he had to care for his alcoholic of a father who couldn't tell the difference between left and right when he was drunk. But after much coaxing, Seohyun finally won out, telling him that he could care more for his dad after he focused on college.
 
After agreeing to her plan, Kris proposed that he would go home once a month because he wasn't sure that his father could last longer than that without him.
 
Then it was Seohyun's turn to be stubborn; she was furious at the idea of him wanting to go back, even if it was just for a little bit. But Kris wouldn't budge, and despite her protests that consisted of ferocious screaming, teeth baring and hair pulling - he stood firm. So Seohyun finally let him take this one. Besides, what harm can be done if he only goes once a month? 
 
 
 
"Hey, hey that tickles!"
"Huh? What does," mumbled Kris.
"You! Stop hugging me like that, your hair brushes against my neck and -"
Kris smirked, 'But you smell nice."
The two of them were sitting in the middle of her living, him locking her in a back hug as she struggled to get away.
"My dad is going to kill you if he sees us - did you finish your term essay yet?"
"Yeah," he released her with a sigh, "I miss high school - the teachers loved me."
Seohyun giggled, "Sure, Kris. Sure they did. Because everyone loves a goofy narcissist."
"Hey! Of course they did and - wait, I'm not goofy," Kris said defensively.
Seohyun smiled sweetly, slowly backing away from him and making a break for the safety of the kitchen. "I'll make you some tea..."
"Get back here," Kris growled in a failed attempt to look mad, chasing her and cornering her by the fridge. "Apologize."
Seohyun stuck her chin out in mock defiance, "Why should I?"
"Because I'll punish you.'
Seohyun smirked, "Ey - big boy you ain't got nuthin on me."
He quirked an eyebrow, "Oh, really?" Then proceeded to tickle her half to death. Seohyun, caught off guard, could only double over and back up more against the fridge, squirming helplessly under his assault.
"Sto-opp," she protested breathlessly, attempting to swat his arms away from her sides.
Kris smiled cheekily, "Kiss me."
Seohyun hesitated for a moment, having never initiated skinship before, jumping as his fingers jabbed her sides again. Cheeks blushing, she quickly tiptoed to give him a quick peck. "Happy?"
"Very," he answered, his eyes twinkling mischievously, earning a smack on the arm from her. 
 
 
 
The two of them were able to see each other even more than before now that he lived literally down the block from her. He probably spent more time at her house than at his own apartment, always arriving in time for meals and coming over to hang out with her dad.
 
Grocery shopping, post office runs, coffee shops for breakfast - everything became a date when they went together. However, college began taking a toll on Kris, and he pulled many all nighters in her living room. She wouldn't sleep well while he was over at her place, waking up often in the middle of the night to check up on him. But they tried their best to make time for each other - working with each other's schedules. She took him to the library often, dragging him along as he grumbled about how books were useless and a waste of time. 
 
 Kris even took her by an orphanage, just because she found out he had a soft spot for children. The moment they stepped in through the door of the playroom, a small blur of pink attached onto Kris' leg. Seohyun saw Kris smile, bending down to scoop the little girl up into his arms.
 
"Hey there, Jinah! How have you been?" Kris asked while patting the girl's hair lovingly.
"I've missed you! Where did you go for the past week," Jinah questioned, little arms flung around his neck. Seohyun felt as if she had intruded into an intimate moment - with the way they seemed to forget about her presence. Slightly jealous of the little girl who was totally adorable, she backed away a little to go look around the area - until Kris pulled her by the arm towards them.
"This is my lovely girlfriend, Seo Joo Hyun", he said to the little girl who suddenly cocked her head towards Seohyun as if just noticing her for the first time. She seemed to scan Seohyun from top to bottom, sizing her up.
"Wahh - I thought I was your girlfriend Kris-oppa! I told you I would even marry you!" The little girl squealed, clinging onto Kris, "Unnie can't have himm - he's my Kris oppaaa. I gave him my everythingg alreadyy."
Seohyun chuckled, patting the little girl's head to console her, "It's okay Jinah, you can have him - he's all yours, I'm tired of this big dinosaur anyway."
Kris gaped at her, before lightly punching her arm, "Tch - this little."
"Little what?" Seohyun answered smugly, "You had a girlfriend this whole time? What a cheater!" She laughed before running off. He obviously couldn't follow, the bundle in his arms had managed to fall asleep somehow, despite all that squealing just seconds prior. When Seohyun came back with two mugs of tea from the visitor's lounge, she found him cradling the child in his arms, her little forehead resting on his neck as they both slept peacefully on the bright blue couch - his mouth wide open. Seohyun smiled and stealthily snapped a few photos of them on her cellphone, before going over to pat his arm gently.
 
He awoke, blinking his eyes confusedly before seeming to register her face. He smiled and tugged her to sit beside them.
She felt like she had a family then, with Kris' arm around her waist while the other one rubbed the little girl's back. A warmth spread over her heart as she gazed up at himWas it pride? Or admiration?
 
"What? Am I that gorgeous?" Kris joked as he turned towards her.
Seohyun smiled, "Nah - you have rice stuck on your face."
"What? Really - where," Kris asked frantically, hand shooting up to touch his face. 
She laughed at him, "Gah, you're such a pabo - you didn't even eat rice today. You had cereal for breakfast!"
Kris rolled his eyes, "You're just jealous of my flawlessness."
"She's cute," Seohyun blurted suddenly, fondly patting the small girl's head as she slept. 
"I know, I have the cutest girlfriends," Kris replied, ducking to avoid a blow to the side of his head, "But I do! You're cute, she's cute."
Seohyun laughed, "I want a daughter like her."
Kris turned towards her again. "Are you serious?"
Seohyun was surprised to say the least. "Yes? I thought you liked her..."
Kris began to shake his head, "That's not what I meant." His voice got more excited as he continued, "I actually was going to ask you about it."
"Hm?"
Kris played with her hair, avoiding her eyes. "I wanted to adopt her when we got married." He looked at her then, attempting to read her expression.
Seohyun pondered for a bit, making an act of seriously contemplating on his words. It wasn't often that she saw the mighty Kris so unsure. "Well..."
"Well?"
"I mean I like her a lot - and she likes you a lot...so I don't see the problem", Seohyun replied, eyes sparkling.
"Oh thank goodness," Kris said, letting out a whoosh of air, "I thought you were going to say no."
"I'm lucky to have you."
Kris' eyes grew wide with the sudden confession - she wasn't a person who expressed her feelings often. "Same here my angel." He put his arm around her head and kissed her crown affectionately. "Same here."
 
"Do you have to go back to that place tonight?", she murmured into his neck.
Kris sighed, "Yes, I have to - he might have starved to death or something. I need to go check the mail and pack his fridge."
Seohyun crinkled her nose, "How long do you think that'll take?"
"Well, including clean up and stuff - probably around four hours? Don't worry honey, I'll be at your house in the morning."
Seohyun pouted, "Why not in time for dinner?"
"Tomorrow Hyunnie. Tomorrow."
 
 
 
The next morning, he came to her house with a black eye. Seohyun had groggily opened the door, jumping in surprise at his state. Not only was his eye bruised, but his lip was cut and his nose looked slightly bent out of shape.
"What happened??" But the guilt had already seeped in. No matter how many times she tried to look out for him, this always happened.
Kris shrugged as he walked into the kitchen, "May I get some ice?"
Seohyun hurried to help him, pushing him into a chair as she ran around in her pajamas, hair tied in a messy bun. "You sit right there Mister. And tell me what the hell happened."
Kris was quiet for a while, wincing every now and then as she tended to his face.
"I told him."
"Told him?"
"Yeah...I told my dad that maybe he should...get a job. And how the bills were getting hard for me to handle." 
Seohyun gasped, "And he did this?? You go home for one damn day to see him, and he pulls this bull ?"
"Hyun...", Kris trailed off - surprised at her explosion. Seohyun never cussed. 
"Don't 'well' me! He freaking gave you a cut lip, almost broke your nose and gave you a black eye because of me?" She shrieked, almost forgetting that her dad was still asleep upstairs.
"No! Not because of you!", Kris shot up, grabbing her arms and making her look up at him. Her teary eyes met with his, wide and scared for his life. "Never Hyunnie, never."
"If - if you won't listen to me and stop him - then, then I will!" She shouted, breaking free from his grip. She ran for the front door, grabbing her purse and car keys which she never used - she always walked everywhere with Kris.
 
For once, she was going to use her wealth to get her way.
 
"Mr. Jung? Please don't let Kris out - I don't want him to follow me," she screamed into the intercom system as she was pulling out of her driveway. The front gates ,which were never locked because of Kris, were shut immediately. Good thing her butler believed that they were having a lover's quarrel - which they technically were. The moment her car pulled away, Kris was at the gate, banging on the bars - screaming at her to come back.
 
Her phone continued to ring in the passenger seat; Kris singing "Snsd's Gee" was her ring tone. How could he be that happy with such a father at home?
It ceased to ring, but continued to ding continuously- he was texting her now. Seohyun gripped tightly onto the steering wheel, speeding along the slick road. It had begun to drizzle lightly, the clouds coming out to cover the sun. It was early Sunday morning, barely any people were out except for the occasional early bird. She ran at least three red lights, forgetting about stop signs until she slammed the brakes, causing her car to screech to a halt in front of his house. The lawn was unkempt, the shutters mismatched, even the mailbox seemed to be falling apart - completely different from her own home.
 
An old, golden Toyota was parked in the driveway. 
 
If it's just you and me, then I will set your dad straight. I won't let him hurt you again.
 
She grabbed her purse and stormed out of the car, banging on the front door repeatedly. Eventually, it opened - revealing a disheveled man along with the putrid smell of alcohol. He was clutching his head as well as the door frame - obviously still hungover.
 
"What do you want," he growled menacingly - yellow eyes glaring at her, "I was sleeping dammit."
Seohyun gulped, she hadn't felt so intimidated in a long time - since the first day of middle school to be exact. "I need to talk to you about Kris oppa."
"Oh, so you're that bastard's girlfriend who talked him into moving out and now into telling me to get a job. What the hell do you know about me? You screwed him up with your principle crap. Did he get you pregnant or something? Why are you here you cheap - you want money now?" The man hissed seeming ready to cut .
 
Seohyun's eyes widened momentarily, and she breathed in multiple times, attempting to calm herself. She wanted to slap this man across the cheek, the flame of indignation burning within her at his every word. It's okay Seohyun. It's okay - don't be scared. Don't be scared. This is for Kris. This is for Kris. This is for Kris. "I want you to stop hurting him."