7: Just wanted to see you

These Childhood Memories

Leaving Baekhyun asleep became the solution; Tao knew how comforting sleeping was in comparison to being awake and alone with one's thoughts. He reached the hotel in a state of almost disbelief - what happened the day before and the fact that Kris was in town both seeming unreal.

Kris really was standing in the lounge, conversing with Kyungsoo, and Tao couldn’t even run away because Kris had already turned and set his eyes on the black-haired boy.

“Tao.” He said, simply. Only this wasn’t simple and Tao knew it and Kris didn’t seem to.

“Hey Kris.” Trying a smile, Tao walked slowly towards Kris, who seemed genuinely surprised that it wasn’t him who made an advance first. He too took a few steps forward, until they were standing a few feet apart.

Kris looked into Tao’s eyes, before his gaze came to rest at Tao’s lips. Tao knew he needed to tell Kris to stop soon, that he needed to tell Kris the truth. Impulsively, he grabbed Kris’ wrist and dragged him to his room.

Before Kris could think too many thoughts about why Tao would want to be alone with him, Tao started attempted starting his confession.

“Kris.” He said, expecting the words to come easily but they didn’t.

“I came because I missed you. And because I wanted to talk to you. I’m really happy to see you.” Kris was looking at the floor, smiling. Happy Kris. This was what Tao wanted to avoid, so he wouldn’t have to shatter his happiness.

“Kris, we can never… I don’t feel- It’s just impossible.” Tao’s words were small and sharp and his breathing too, gaze avoiding Kris’ direction and hands desperately trying to find something to do.

A silence that felt worse than it probably was filled the room. Tao knew Kris wasn’t smiling anymore, even if he didn’t look at him. In order to kill the silence, Tao had to continue.

“I know what you feel. I’ve known for a long time but ignored it because I don’t want to hurt you by telling you that I don’t feel the same. I appreciate your friendship more than I can say, but I know that it isn’t enough for you. If you want to end it here, I won’t blame you. I just don’t want you to hurt anymore.”

Tao didn’t know how, but the things he’d been through, the things he’d experienced since he came back had prepared him for this. They had shown him the right words and the strength to say them. Tao felt lighter, even if he hated himself in the moment his eyes finally met Kris’ again. Kris’ expression was no less than heartbroken, eyes wide and disappointed.

“Can I… would you mind if-“Kris cut himself off as he strode forwards, enveloping Tao in his long arms. Hugging had become easier but it still made Tao uncomfortable. But he knew Kris’ was a safe point to him.

“I care for you more than words can say. I’ve watched you struggle for so long and not known how to help you. If I didn’t want to hurt anymore, I could’ve left so many times, Tao, you made that part easy. You told me you didn’t need anyone but I stayed because I wanted to. That’s love I guess. Makes you make some crazy decisions.”

Tao breathed in, smelling Kris for the first time. He didn’t smell like perfume or something artificial, he smelled like comfort and safety. Tao would be deeply saddened to lose Kris, he knew, but the thought of inflicting pain on him by demanding he stay by his side made him even sadder.

“You can leave me if you want to. I’ll be alright, Kris.” Tao murmured into Kris’ shirt. Kris broke the hug, finding Tao’s eyes and sending him a determined stare.

“I know you will. But don’t you get it? You’ve been telling me to leave for so long and I still haven’t. You’re not an easy person to be in love with,” Tao cringed at the words, “but I’m still here. If me being your friend is what you prefer, that’s what I’ll be. I’m staying.”

Tao smiled. It wasn’t a conscious smile; it was one that forced itself onto his lips from deep down in his stomach. It was a physical manifestation of the gratefulness he felt towards Kris. Hopefully, Kris read it that way too.

The rumble of Tao’s stomach broke the silence that followed. If things had gone as Kris wished, they would probably have walked out to grab breakfast hand in hand, smiling as the birds sang in the sky and everything seemed to glow a slight pink. But it hadn’t, and the awkwardness of the situation was hard to ignore.

“Uhm.” Tao uttered.

“I haven’t eaten yet either. Should we grab something together?” Kris asked, friendly. Tao’s mind screamed no but he felt guilty for turning Kris’ down. He did think he had kind of been leading him on. So he agreed to the offer, and they walked in silence to the breakfast bar close to the hotel.

Munching silently is impossible. Tao knew this, and it had him on edge for the entire 20 minutes it took for Kris to eat. Tao didn’t have much, he was done in just a few minutes. He smiled awkwardly at Kris, then returned his gaze to his empty plate. Baekhyun kept invading his mind. He was starting to regret having left him asleep. Hopefully he didn’t wake up before Tao could return to him. But then again, he couldn’t return with Kris. The whole situation had gotten more complicated than it should and Tao wanted to be alone, finding himself wanting to push Kris away again, which in turn made him feel guilty. In that moment, however, Tao’s mind was eased with a timely, if horrifying distraction.

The same jacket, the same hat. Tao had seen them before and the circumstances under which they had become familiar had him shivering. The stranger that had been following him the other day got up from his chair in the other end of the café, walking towards the door. He didn’t look Tao’s way, but Tao still felt his body stiffen as he watched the stranger make his way towards the hotel. Kris’ voice tore him back to reality.

“Tao? What is it?” He was concerned, and his eyes went wide when Tao’s frightened gaze met his. He had been staring, he realized. As he turned his head to look for the stranger in the street, he was nowhere to see.

“It was… nothing. Just thought I recognized someone.” Tao wanted to shrug it off, really wanted to, but uneasiness and nervousness spread through his nerves. He could feel himself start to cold sweat, the familiar warning that was almost always ensued by a panic attack, and even if he wanted to assure Kris that nothing was wrong, he wasn’t in charge of his body anymore. Nothing he could do would stop this.

Kris’ eyes went even wider when Tao started having trouble breathing, inhaling sharply and loudly. He sprang from his chair to Tao’s side, helping him up, sweeping one arm around him and placing Tao’s arm around his neck. Tao tried walking, wobbly legs proving an obstacle.

“Tao, I’ll get you to the hotel. Just try to walk, ok? I’ll help you.” Kris voice was heavy in Tao’s ear. Stumbling out of the door of the café, no doubt with the stare of every single person there directed towards them, Kris and Tao made it onto the street. At that point, the sunlight stressing Tao’s eyes, black dots started appearing in his vision. The last thing he registered before going unconscious was Kris lifting him off the ground, running across the street and telling him that “we’ll be there soon, it’s going to be ok, don’t worry.”

Tao opened his eyes to stare directly into Kyungsoo’s. His face was a bit too close for Tao’s liking, so he squirmed, pushing his body deeper down into the couch on which he had been placed while he was unconscious. His head felt heavy and hurting, and one of his hands felt warmer than the other. He quickly realized why as he looked at it - Kris was holding it, squeezing it lightly. A look of panic traced his face as Tao found his eyes; he let go of the hand quickly.

“No, don’t…” Tao murmured as he closed his eyes again, not quite disliking the comfort Kris’ hand had given him. But his mouth was dry and his words slurred, and Kris’ hand never found his again as Kyungsoo spoke.

“Tao. Are you feeling ok? You fainted in the street, good thing your friend was there to help you. You should probably drink more water in this heat.”

He didn’t just faint, but Kyungsoo was kind, much too kind for Tao to correct him. Tao found himself wondering how many of these much too kind people existed. Kris, Kyungsoo, Sehun, all supporting and helping him with absolutely no gain for themselves.

“It was… that guy. Again. The stranger that followed me. Then I started feeling sick…”

“Where did you see him?” This time Kyungsoo’s voice was strict, jaw tense and eyes serious.

“We went to have breakfast just across the street… I didn’t see him, though.” Kris spoke, his deep voice ringing in Tao’s slightly spinning head.

“Listen, Tao, I think you need to leave. Soon. I can’t tell you why but it’s important.” Tao had heard these words before, remembered and hated them and they didn’t make him feel any better at all.

“Is it him?” Tao asked. He thought he knew but he needed to ask.

“What do you mean, is it who?” Kyungsoo asked, puzzled.

“Is he the one who abused us. Who abused Baekhyun, me and the other kids.” It didn’t come out as a question at all, and that was because Tao knew.

Tao reopened his eyes to find Kyungsoo having backed off, Kris sporting a confused expression.

“How do you know? No, that’s not important. What’s important is that you leave. You should bring Baekhyun if you can.”

Tao’s heart twitched as he remembered. Baekhyun. He was alone right now, possibly in danger. Tao should never have left him. He started to get up, but he was still dizzy, and had it not been for Kris catching him in the last second, he would have fallen to the floor.

“We need to go get him.” Tao was sure. He tried to free himself from Kris, who only held his arms tighter.

“Who is Baekhyun?” Kris asked, lowly, like he wasn’t allowed to ask. Tao didn’t answer anyway, directing his attention at Kyungsoo.

“You’re not just a hotel manager, are you?” Of course he wasn’t.  

“No, I’m not. I can’t tell you who I work for, I shouldn’t even be telling you this, but I worked on your case and Baekhyun’s 10 years ago. The two cases were connected in a special way. We thought we had him, then left the country, but recently he’s come back and we’re afraid he’ll try to find some of the kids that he…” It was clear who he meant even if he didn’t have the appropriate words. “That’s why you need to leave.”

“I will. I just- I have to bring Baekhyun. He’s alone right now and vulnerable.”

“I’m going with you.” Kris spoke, ignoring that fact that he was being ignored and didn’t know whom Tao was speaking of. “We’ll leave right away.” His grip on Tao loosened, to the point where the pressure from his hands was reassuring instead of restricting.

Kyungsoo nodded, looking to be deep in thought. “You should be careful. I don’t know how far he’s gotten, but if he knows that you’re staying at this hotel… there’s no telling how much he knows. We’ve been tracking him but it’s hard. He’s extremely clever and hardly ever leaves tracks.”

Tao nodded, once again grabbing Kris’ wrist and dragging him towards the hall. “Would you mind getting a cab for us?” Kris said, having thought in advance, and Tao could’ve sworn he’d never appreciated him more. Kyungsoo inclined, exiting the lounge. 

When Kris and Tao got to his room, the door wasn’t locked. Inside, nothing seemed to be missing, but Tao felt his legs give in once again. Who could’ve been there? Of course he knew who. And he hadn’t just forgotten to lock the door. Kris noticed and guided Tao to the bed to sit him down, himself squatting in front of him. He experimentally grabbed Tao’s hand again, squeezing it when Tao made no move to retract it.

“Breathe. Tao, breathe.” His voice was soothing but demanding.

“He’s been in here.” Tao shivered.

“I know.” Kris didn’t even ask questions. He had accepted every questionable word of Tao’s from the moment he arrived.

“Don’t you want me to explain?” Tao finally looked into Kris’ eyes. Kris’ was so calm.

“No. I just want to help you. Tell me what to do and I’ll do it. Tell me who to bring down and I’ll bring them down.”

Tao decided to tell him anyway. “I was 10 when we moved. At that point he’d probably abused me for at least a couple of months. My parents found out but I didn’t. I was drugged every time. The drug made me forget everything. Baekhyun wasn’t as lucky. He became immune to the drug and remembered. His family found out too late. He’s so fragile… why did I leave him again?” Tao felt the tears pressing, the anger at himself becoming too much.

“If he knows you’re staying here and you’ve visited Baekhyun, he might know where Baekhyun lives. Tao, we need to be quick. If he’s as dangerous as that man said…” Kris shook his head, not finishing the sentence. “Pack your stuff.”

It was easy - Tao hadn’t brought many things with him. He didn’t care if he forgot any, either. He stumbled around the room, Kris standing helplessly, his offers to help ignored. When Tao was about to exit the door, Kris carrying the two bags, he came to a halt.

He hadn’t seen it when they came in. The note was crumbled because someone had stepped on it; it had been dropped right inside the room, by the door. Tao picked it up, hands shaking, and read the few sentences at least three times before the words made sense, and his blood went cold.

“I’ve got your precious Baekhyun. If you want him to live, it would be a very good idea to meet with me at this address to discuss his possibilities. Feel like bringing your friend? Then just don’t come. Just you or nothing. I’m looking forward to seeing you.”

This time, Kris only barely caught him before his head hit the floor.

The blackout lasted something like 5 hours, at least in Tao’s head. In reality, it lasted 2 minutes and Tao woke up on the floor exactly where he fell, Kris crouching protectively over him, Kyungsoo standing at his feet.

“Maybe it was the water thing after all.” Kris said as he handed Tao a bottle of water. He sat up to drink it, dizziness making the world turn. The water tasted like ashes when he remembered Baekhyun, gaze flickering to see if the note was real or imagined. It was indeed real, resting in Kyungsoo’s hand as if it was not the most poisonous piece of paper the world had ever seen. Tao attempted to get up, and this time, when Kris’ was ready to catch him, he didn’t fall. Standing straight came easily to him when he thought of Baekhyun and where he must go.

“I have to go alone.”

“You can’t.” Kris spoke, Kyungsoo nodding.

“There’s no telling what he’ll do to him if I don’t follow his orders. Please just… let me go alone.” Tao pleaded.

“Kris and I will go with you. But we can remain unseen. We’ll take a different cab and follow you. When you’ve found him, we’ll come to help you.”

It wasn’t ideal, but it could work. Tao thought he might even be able to shake the two others off if he was lucky. That way, he could rescue Baekhyun and not risk him getting hurt.

“Okay, but we need to hurry.” Tao agreed.

“Yes. Leave your stuff in my office; I’ll make sure it’ll make it home. As soon as you get the chance, leave with Baekhyun.”

Kris stood awkwardly, not knowing his role. “I’ll make sure Kris comes home, too, but you just focus on getting Baekhyun out safely. Kris is not who he’s after so he’s not in danger.” Kyungsoo said hushed, leading them both to his office. They dropped off Tao’s stuff and went into the street. One cab was already waiting, and a second followed in a few minutes time. Tao felt like throwing up as he got in the car, everything about the situation making him uncomfortable. But Baekhyun was in danger and Tao thought the boy was really the only reason that his heart was still beating, keeping him moving.

The cab ride was around 10 minutes, he didn’t keep track of time. Any kind of residential building had vanished in favor of factories and storage buildings. Tao made a move to pay the driver, but he shook his head and simply gestured for him to get out. Tao did, and the cab was gone from sight within minutes. It must have been noon by the way the sun was burning into Tao’s hair and neck. He walked slowly toward the grey building he’d been taken to. If Kris and Kyungsoo where following him, they were doing a damn good job at being invisible. Was he supposed to just go in? The thought of Baekhyun making staying still unbearable, he decided he probably should.

The large black door creaked loudly as Tao slowly pulled it open just enough to slide in sideways. The light provided by the crack in the door was enough to make out the first 3 meters of a dark hallway, but no more than that. Tao tryingly moved forward, then halted. If someone was hiding in the dark, waiting to attack him, the light behind Tao would only be his advantage. He went back to close the door, hoping that if their help became necessary, Kris and Kyungsoo would be able to figure out where he had entered the building.

Darkness didn’t bother Tao. He felt comfortable with it. When it was dark, he could only think and listen. He did not have to see. He moved along the wall, stretching his right leg and armout along it before every step to make sure he did not knock anything over. He made it around 32 steps (counting them just in case it would become useful) like this before he reached another cold wall. It was as dark as when he started, and he still couldn’t see anything, so he decided to follow the wall he’d just met.

It took a couple of meters before the wall started sticking out in the shape of a door, and another meter for Tao to find the handle. He listened closely for a minute before deciding that no one was behind it or that whoever was there was very silent. The door didn’t creak like the other one when Tao opened it. The only sound that was made came from Tao, as he gasped when he saw Baekhyun lying motionlessly on the floor, clothes and hair ruffled and face paler than ever. He would’ve run to him that second had he not heard a soft laughter and decided to locate the source.

Standing a couple of meters to the right of Tao, previously hidden by the door, was he. He who had haunted and followed Tao for so long. His expression was calm, he smiled when his eyes briefly caught Tao's. In his hand was a gun, pointed towards a defenseless Baekhyun. When he spoke, Tao felt every molecule of his body scream for him to flee: "I'm so glad to see you."


A/N: *kyungsoo voice* listen. Jk, listen tho. I don't know what I'm doing and this story is terrible and too long and it's probably ending soon and I'm afraid I'm gonna cry but that doesn't matter. What matters is that you're reading this and you've read it and you can tell me how I'm doing because I really don't know. Please comment and tell me what you think. I don't want to put too much work into something nobody cares about. And I don't want to keep writing something that's not worth reading. I didn't proofread this too thoroughly so don't kill me if I made some major mistakes. I love you, thanks for reading!