Chapter 6: Coming Out from Hiding

Accidental Roomies of Apartment 312
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Coming Out from Hiding

It’s been a couple of months since Dara’s siblings came for a visit. Everything has been normal for the two roomies. There are no crazy events happening. So far and madam Yoon’s drama is almost over. At least the writing part is. They shoot will end in a month until then madam Yoon will be open for revisions and update should there be a need for it.

“So did you tell Madam Yoon where you want to be assigned during her 3 months break?” Tabi asked while eating breakfast.

“What? Madam Yoon is going on a break? Why was I not informed?” Dara blurted almost spewing out her food.

“After a project she goes on a 3 month long break before writing again. She will let you choose where you want to work with during that period. So choose wisely.  That’s three long months. It’s a good experience though. I decided to become a director after I worked with the drama team but I worked with the variety, music show and news team as well,” he explained.

“Where do you suggest I work with first? I’m going to miss working with Madam Yoon. I wanted to learn more from her,” Dara said.

“It’s a routine only those who lasted a whole complete drama as apprentice can experience. Some don’t even last a couple of weeks.  Some are lucky to last a month.  You on the other hand made it through with flying colors. Usually they treat Madam Yoon  apprentices as special members. Of course I’m not sure if it’s still the same different production groups have different ways of treating staff,” he said.

“You know a lot about drama production you even went to film school. You should apply for work in the company. I’m sure they’ll welcome a talented person like you,” she commented.

“But I haven’t showed you any of my work,” Tabi said.

“I kind of asked Madam Yoon about you wanting to be a director when you were still her apprentice. She showed me the short film you wrote and directed yourself. She said it was all she needed to see and she was automatically convinced that you are meant to be one,” Dara explained. “If a short film like that was made by you when you haven’t even been to film school what more now that you actually went there. I’m a big fan of your work,” she admitted. “Please consider directing my future drama,” she added.

“She kept that old thing,” Tabi said.

“I think it’s a good thing she did. A few years from now a documentary about you will probably be made because you’ve become a well-known drama series or film director,” she exclaimed. “We should have a contract of some sort just so you won’t forget that you have to direct one of my works.”

“If Madam Yoon acknowledged a talent like yours how can I refuse a lucrative offer like that?” he stated.

“Tell me if you need help submitting your resume and I’ll forward it to Bom for you,” she offered.

“I’m actually planning to meet my family. Well, not mom and dad but my noona. She’ll definitely hear me out,” he said.

“I guess it’s better to work at the family business. I hope your meeting goes well,” she said.  “So I guess I’m taking the bus today.”

“Nope I’ll give you a ride to work,” he told her. 

“Thank you. I’ll do the dishes when you’re done just put it in the sink,” she exclaimed then she went there and started washing the dishes.

“I’m done eating. Thank you for the meal,” he said as he started clearing out the table. “I should start making breakfast again. You’ve been in charge of cooking both  breakfast and dinner lately.”

“It’s fine. Cooking is like a stress reliever for me. It’s actually nice that I’m cooking for you. I miss cooking for my two dongseng, halmeoni and appa. At least I have one other person to cook for other than myself,” she said.

“You just don’t like to eat the same stuff I cook over and over,” he joked.

“Well that too,” she teased and they both laughed

“I’ll finish the dishes. You go get ready for work,” he told her.

“Gumawo,” she said before she made a run for the bathroom.

*~*~*~*~*~

Dara was surprised that Seung Hyun was dropping her off in front of the broadcast station building.

“This is a first?” Dara asked a little bit confused.

“”Yup, just for today,” he said, “Have fun at work. Message me if you need a ride to Madam Yoons.  Hopefully my meeting wouldn’t be so long. I wanted to visit her after my meeting.

“I guess your family's business is in the area. Well good luck! And I hope everything goes according to your plans,” she said.

“Thank you. I hope it goes well too,” he said.

Dara walked inside the building to head to the drama department. It’s her usual routine unless Madam Yoon tells her to go straight to her place.

“Dara-yah!” It was Bom who called out to her. “Was that Seung Hyun-shi who dropped you off? It’s the first time I saw him near the building.“

“It’s just for today. He’s meeting his noona. He said that their business is close by this area,” Dara replied.

“He did? Oh of course. You should go to the drama department. I think the director would be asking for some revisions.  At least that’s what Daesung told me,” Bom explained.

“See you around then,” Dara said before heading to the drama department.

“Assistant writer Park, I’m glad you came here today I need for Madam Yoon to make some revisions for me. I need this done no later than tomorrow. The lead actress wants to make her death scene more dramatic since it’s the first time she’s doing a scene like this in a drama series,” The director said as soon as she stood in front of his desk.  He handed her the final script with the director’s notations. “I already told Madam Yoon. She’s against it but let her read the suggestions that I finally got our lead actress to agree with. I think it would still work better in the story.”

“I’ll bring this to her.  Thank you. Anything else you need for me to give her, kamdong-nim?” She asked.

“That’s all. And oh she will go on a break as soon as the drama is over. If you like you can join our team during that period. I heard you’re quite hard working. I’m sure the rest of the drama team A will welcome you. Half of the team will be working on a new project. Director Cho will be more than glad to have you in his team,” the director said.

“Thank you for the offer kamdong-nim. I still haven’t decided where to go yet. I will keep your offer in mind,” she replied before saying goodbye and heading out.  On her way to the elevator she saw the familiar smiley face of Daesung.

“Dara-shi jeon-achim! “ He greeted her.

“Oh Daesung-shi annyeong,” she greeted back.

A number of guys from the department all stood behind him.

“Dara-shi, I heard Madam Yoon will be on break soon. The drama team is wondering if you’ve already decided where you will be temporarily moving?” he asked.

“I just found out about it now. So I haven’t really thought about it yet,” she told him.

“Oh I forgot to introduce you to some of our team members.  This is Jang Ki Yong, Park Hyeong Seop and Shin Jae Hyuk.”

“Hi nice to meet you all.  My name is Park Sandara but you can call me Dara. Wow you are all very tall,” she said as she shook hands with them.

“Hi Dara I’m so happy to finally meet you. Please join the drama team,” Ki yong almost pleaded while shaking her hand.

“Yes please,” Hyeong Seop seconded as he snatched Dara’s hand from Kiyong for a handshake.

“I’m just happy we’re formally introduced,” Jae Hyuk muttered as he took Dara’s hand from Hyeong Seop.

“I’m sorry but I have to go to Madam Yoon’s. She doesn’t like it when I come in late for work. It’s really nice meeting you all. I will definitely keep your offer of temporarily joining the drama team in mind,” she said before she excused herself from the group and made her way to the elevator.  She suddenly stopped, when she thought she saw Seung Hyun being led to the other side of the building. She thought she must be mistaken. She checked the time and it was still early so she decided to just message Seung Hyun that she’s already on her way to Madam Yoon’s place and wished him luck on his meeting.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Seung Hyun is really nervous about meeting his noona. He’s been in the country for months and he’s pretty sure she’s already aware of this but she didn’t bother forcing him to show himself. He was partly grateful but he was also worried about facing his sister. He doesn’t know what his sister will do to him when they meet.

After taking the private elevator leading to the executive floor of the broadcasting station there he stood in front of the CEO office. The secretary announced his arrival before he was let in.

He slowly walked through the threshold and he finally saw his noona sitting on the couch in her office’s receiving area. He heard the door behind him close.

“It’s been a while noona,” he greeted her.

“Take a seat,” she ordered him.  

“I’m really happy to see you again,” he said.

“You’ve been back in the country for months now but you didn’t bother visiting home. I haven’t told our parents that you’re back yet. I wanted you to take the initiative to do it yourself,” she said.

“I know. I’m sorry noona. I just didn’t want them to force me to do their bidding again. I don’t want to be forced to get married again or to take the role of CEO. I want to be a film and TV director. You know that. That’s the reason why I went to film school. I want to make movies or TV series. I don’t want to manage a company. You’re better at doing that,” he said.

“But that’s what appa wants,” his noona said.

“I think up to this day you’ve proven that you’re better for the CEO role than I am. You deserve this better than I do,” he insisted.

“Allow me to do what I want noona. I’ll prove to them that being a film and TV director is what I’m supposed to be. I also want to see our parents. I just don’t want to argue with them again when we meet,” he reasoned.

“Where are you staying now, you’re not staying in Daesung or Ji Yong’s house. And you’re not staying in a hotel either. Where have you been hiding?” His noona pried.

“I’m staying at a friend’s house. It’s someone you don’t know. I think it’s best to keep it that way for now. Please trust me noona. I just need some time to prove to our parents that this is what I’m meant to do. You deserve to be the CEO more than I do,” he insisted.

“I have no control over that. It’s appa’s decision to make. But I’ll let you do things in your own pace. If you’re going to pursue directing do it under our company. I want you to be on top of everything. Including working with producers, scouting cast members, budget negotiations and sponsorship. I want to you to produce and direct on your own. You have to experience both the creative and the business side of making a drama or a movie. And I want you to report to me directly on your progress,” she said.

“Thank you noona. I’ll do my best. I’ll make sure that you’ll be proud of my work,” he exclaimed.

As soon as his noona st

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter