Chapter 4: Getting to Know Each other

Accidental Roomies of Apartment 312
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

  4. Getting to Know Each other

 

Seung Hyun arrived an hour shy off midnight. He didn’t expect to see his housemate sprawled on the floor with her head resting on the sofa and her laptop still open. The coffee table was littered with empty beer cans and 2 sojus bottles.  But as expected he has food waiting for him on the table. He went over to his roommate and shook his head. The poor thing must not have a lot of friends at work and decided to drink at home. She’s new in Seoul after all. He gently carried his roommate and placed her comfortably in the sofa; he placed a pillow under her head then covered her with a blanket. She was a sight to behold a tiny woman piss drunk and reeking in alcohol. Her face is flush red. Truth be told she looks kind of cute in a very drunk kind of way.

 

He cleared the table of the empty beer cans and soju bottles. He made a mental note to come home early on weekends so he can accompany his roommate for a drink. He would have introduced her to friends but he’s trying to keep a low profile so that the rest of his family will not know about his return.

 

He reheated the kimchijigae and rice and mixed them all up in a big bowl and added the prepared banchan. Having home cooked meals every day is one of the many perks of being roommates with Dara. No matter how late he came back home he knew she would have something prepared for him because she was just too generous and kind hearted. The house he is living in is also always spick and span, a complete opposite of his pigsty of a crash pad when he lived overseas. His tragic living environment was all thanks to his roommate back then who’s a walking pile of mess that no matter how many times he cleaned the place up it will be back to its chaotic state within the day as soon as the said roommate is around. His living condition now is like heaven compared to back then. All thanks to his petite but capable housemate he is living like a normal human being. He took his bowl of food with him and made his way to the coffee table where Dara’s laptop was still open.

 

Seung Hyun doesn’t know much about her other than the fact that she’s an aspiring writer. His first thought after finding out the reason for her coming to the city was she’s either really stupid or really brave. He had met a lot of aspiring writers who were rejected and discouraged after their failed attempts in being a writer. The Kdrama world is no exception. A lot of talented writers are in the industry and maybe there are handfuls of rising star writers and a lot of one hit wonders so it’s tough to stand out in this field.

 

He decided to read a bit of what she has written. He scrolled up to the very beginning page. Surprisingly it piqued his interest and he continuously read the story while eating until he’s at the very last page. He smiled maybe she has what it takes to be a successful writer. He would like to read her other work.

 

He thought that madam Yoon would definitely like an apprentice like her. He will have to ask Dara who she is working under at the moment and maybe he can help her get an apprenticeship under his former mentor. He made a mental note to ask her in the morning.

 

He told his hoobae Daesung to look after Dara since they’re both in the Drama department. Seung Hyun is aware that some of the older staff members like to play tricks on the new blood. He thought he was just returning the favor since she’s been taking care of everything in the house. The only thing that she hasn’t done is do his laundry. 

 

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

 

Dara woke up feeling her head ready to explode. She should have held back on the drinking especially since she’s doing it by herself. She doesn’t remember lying on the couch but she found herself on it covered with her blanket.

 

She noticed that the soju bottles and beer cans were also cleared out.

 

“Good morning my drunkard roommate,” Seung Hyun greeted her.

 

Seung Hyun is a vision in his plain white t-shirt and his black drawstring pants. He looks so pristine. Looking at him was almost blinding. It must be the alcohol because he seems to be dazzling.

 

Dara suddenly felt self-conscious she probably looks like a complete mess. Quick note to self always wake up earlier than Seung Hyun to prevent imminent personal humiliation. She immediate runs to the bathroom to wash up. It would have been more ideal if he was a neighbor rather than a roommate. It’s just not fair when she’s so plain looking and he’s all gorgeous she thought while she brushes her teeth.

 

She heard a soft knock on the bathroom door.

 

“I made breakfast, if you want any?”

 

She heard Seung Hyun on the other side of the door. That’s so nice of him, she thought to herself.

 

She got out of the bathroom after washing her face and tying her hair in a neat bun.

 

She was surprised to see Omurice and bean sprout soup.

 

“These are the only things I know how to cook and well the soup is good for hangovers,” he said.

 

“This is great. Wow! No one has ever cooked for me before other than my family members of course,” she commented as she sat down in front of him. “Oh wait Hae cooked ramyun for me one time. I never thought anyone can burn ramyun but he proved me wrong.”

 

“Boyfriend?” Seung Hyun nonchalantly asked then took a mouth full of omurice.

 

“Ex-boyfriend,” she corrected. “We broke up before I came to Seoul. It’s for the best since he wants to settle down and I want to pursue my dreams.” 

 

Seung Hyun looked at her thoughtfully. “Do you have any regrets leaving him?”

 

“I think it would be a bigger regret if I stayed in Busan and just settled for whatever plans he had for us,” she explained. “We’ve known each other since high school and we started dating in college. He’s aware that being a drama writer is my biggest dream, I just wish he would be supportive of it just as I support his dream of being a prosecutor.”

 

“Aren’t you worried that you’re going to fail and he’s going to be the biggest what could have been in your life?” Seung Hyun asked and he was honestly curious about her answer.

 

Dara laughed. “I’d rather try and fail at being a writer than to settle because of fear of failure. I know that life is too short. You never know when you’re times up. My mom told me before she died that no matter what I should follow my dreams. And if we’re meant to be we’ll eventually end up together.”

 

“I’m sorry to hear about your mom’s death,” he told her.

 

“It has been a long time since she died. I had to be more mature,” she said.

 

“It must have been tough living with just one parent,” he muttered.

 

 “It was a real challenge growing up without my mom. My halmoeni is sick and my brothers were all so young and appa was always away. But I’m fortunate I have good people around me. Chaerin’s eomma is almost like a second mom to me and my siblings, I’m quite grateful to her family. Her appa even helped me get a scholarship in the university. I owe a lot to her family.”

 

Seung Hyun didn’t know that his roommate had gone through some tough times. Dara was very cheerful and positive that he didn’t expect to know how she must have suffered in the past.

 

“I think you’ll do well as a writer,” he commented.

 

“Really? I hope what you said will come true,” she exclaimed.

 

“Do you like watching movies?” Seung Hyun asked.

 

“I do. I particularly like old foreign films.”

 

“If you have nothing to do today my collection of old foreign films just came in. I’ll be watching a few of them tonight. You can join me if you like,” he suggested.

 

“Are you kidding me? I’d love too,” she said excitedly. 

 

“But I wouldn’t mind you helping me while I do some general cleaning,” she added.

 

“I don’t h

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter