Kiss Scenes

Painting With Words

You want to write a kiss scene? Well, sit down then. Let's get down to business. *rubs hands together with a creepy grin ;D*

Truth be told, I really do enjoy reading and writing scenes about kissing. But sometimes, scenes like this hinder authors from writing a scenes such as this one simply because many people haven't experienced it first hand.

If you want the kiss to actually mean something, you can't just slap it into a reader's face. You've got to set the scene, the mood and atmosphere for the kiss itself. There are a lot of factors to consider that play a big role. Some of these factors are:

Are they a couple?

What's the situation they're in?

What's the time?

Are they on a date, at an event, what?

Of course, there are other factors, but these are just a few.

Distance between the two characters can have a huge impact. You can't just go from that they were walking and they kissed. There wasn't anything in between. As a writer, you want to build up 'tension' between the two - whether it be pent up desire or a chaste kiss. Also you can foreshadow what type of kiss it would be. For example, if the distance between them is closed slowly and is uh... controlled (?); this usually foreshadows that it'll be a chaste, soft, passionate, etc kiss. If the distance between them is closed all to soon, this will usually foreshadow a kiss that's hard, ual, etc. 

We use our five senses in everyday life right? Why not use them in a kiss scene too! For sight, you can write about what the character's see. With the sense of sound, you can write about what the character's hear (obviously). Some of these sounds can include sensual noises, heart beating. I find smell a little awkward about, but for this, you can write about what the character smells like. Do they smell nice? Natural Scent, perfume, cologne, and the list goes on and on! Touch is important as you can get to describe what the character feels. Lips against lips, smooth skin, and all that jazz. For taste; if a character ate some chocolate for example beforehand, you can write about what the character tastes like. For example: 'I can still taste the sweet chocolate which ate beforehand'. You catch my drift, yeah? 

Body language plays an important part in any good ol' kiss scene. Here are a few:

Eyes; The window to the soul. I'm just kidding. Are they opened or closed? Character's with eyes that are open give that awkward yet chaste, tender kiss feel to it. Closed eyes indicate a passionate kiss, they don't think about anything other than the kiss.

Hands, Arms, Legs? Does your character's arms encircle around the other's waist? Do their arms lay by their side? Does the guy cup the other's cheek? Are they running their fingers through each other's hair?

You can also describe the emotional aspect to a kiss. Were they longing for each other? If it was their first kiss, what was their first instinct/reaction - was it to slap them, keep their eyes wide open? Were they surprised? Were they enjoying the kiss? Who kissed them - was it their long time crush? 

Remember, when focusing on a kiss scene, remember that there are other parts of the body other than the lips. Use the five senses, and write about the character's emotions from both views (unless you're writing in first person pov, of course. :P)

I'm just going to put some of my favourite kiss scenes here now.

“Before I could stop myself or think or do anything that made any sense at all, I spoke. ‘Savannah…’ Then I stopped talking. She was so close to me, her slender fist bunched up in my shirt, her eyes huge, her lips so close I couldn’t stop myself from touching them, and I was compelled to know what those lips felt like again. ‘Gregory, I…’ Her words were cut off when my lips touched hers, and I felt a wave of euphoria wash over me. This was no slow, gentle kiss. Our mouths opened immediately, and she gripped the back of my neck, pushing us together closer, a low moan like a growl rising from as she pressed her body against mine, hard.”  - Nocturne by Charles Sheehan Miles and Andrea Randall

"Without meaning to, he reached her in three strides and snatched her in his arms. Her joyous laugh tickled his ear as he lifted her off his feet. Urgently his mouth roved across her face with rough kisses that stung her cheek, her chin, her forehead." - Dreaming of You by Lisa Kleypas

 


I'm aware that I skipped some of the descriptive writing parts, but I really couln't wait to write this chapter. Eep!