Pool Boy

One's Summer Love is Another's Summer Fling

tumblr_morf3xfl211rhcs6co1_250.giftumblr_morf3xfl211rhcs6co2_250.gif

Sehun wasn’t expecting anything when he began his summer vacation.  Sehun was on college break and instead of actually finding a legit part time job for the summer; he applied for an ad that he found at the local bus stop.  The position was pool boy for some family located in the richer part of Busan. 

            No qualifications were necessary. All he needed to do was clean the pool every other day, which was about four times a week.  And the pay was good, really good. 

‘Getting paid to do partly nothing.’ Sehun scoffed at his idiot friends who were working at cafes for the summer.  However, he was somewhat jealous that his best friend, Jongin, kept talking about his co-worker, Kyungsoo.  Jongin claimed that he’d fallen in love with the boy at first sight and knew they were soul mates. And apparently Jongin knew all this just after meeting the guy yesterday. 

            But Sehun being the idiot he was didn’t even know that Busan was a good 3 hours away from Seoul and that was if you took the KTX which was the fastest train available.  And it cost 55,000 won for a one-way ticket.  Well there goes his pay. 

            “You’re so stupid.  How can someone like you be so stupid?” Jongin leaned over the coffee counter to laugh at Sehun, “I didn’t know people like you could exist.  You’ve been living here your whole life.  How can you not know that Busan is not in Seoul?” 

            Sehun pretty much wanted to punch his best friend in the face because; hello you are supposed to be sympathizing for his pathetic situation. But nope his best friend was laughing at him. 

            Suddenly the bell rang and a flustered boy with cute big eyes came into the café.  He was trying to put on his apron while speed walking to the counter. 

            “Uuuh hi,” Jongin tried to wave but forgot that he had a cup of coffee in his hand and ended up spilling it on his hand, “Oh wow that’s hot!” Jongin yelled.

            “Who’s the idiot now,” Sehun laughed hysterically, “How can someone be so stupid?” Sehun mocked Jongin’s earlier statement.  But he stopped when Kyungsoo ran over to Jongin with worry in his eyes.  Jongin smirked at him and Sehun felt like punching him in the face again. 

 

            So obviously Sehun wouldn’t be able to do this job. The money he’d be making was yes a lot but taking into account the train fare and the time (mostly the waste of time) he wasn’t willing to go all the way to Busan for a job he could probably find closer to home.  And if he couldn’t find a job, he could just spend the summer vacation in Jongin’s café, sabotaging his friend’s love life. 

            He looked at the ad and punched in the numbers that he’d called before.  Instead of a lady’s voice answering the phone, this time it was a male’s voice. 

            It was kind of soft and nice sounding, Sehun had to admit.  And when he heard the ‘hello’ Sehun thought that he heard bells chiming in his mind.  But Sehun shook off that thought because maybe he’d eaten something wrong and was hallucinating.  But the voice was definitely nice to listen to. 

            He quickly explained the situation and hoped that the guy wouldn’t be too angry at him.  Not that he really cared.  But he didn’t want that angelic voice to start yelling.  That would be bad. 

            “Um….look this is really short notice.  I don’t think we can find someone else that fast.”

            “I’m sorry.  I take full responsibility.  It’s just that Busan is pretty far from Seoul.”

            “Didn’t you know that when you applied?” the voice was flabbergasted. 

            “Um…” Sehun didn’t want to embarrass himself further so he said, “I’m a foreigner.”

            There was silence, “Oh.  You speak Korean really well.  I mean you have a ….lisp…I think.  But it’s cute.”

            ‘Did this guy just call me cute?’ Sehun was speechless. 

            “Look I know Busan is far, but just come for this weekend.  Just until we find another pool boy.  I’ll double the pay.”

            “Well…in that case…what time do I need to be there?”   

            The guy gave a sigh of relief, “Saturday around 12.  Is that alright?”

            “Yeah it’s fine.”

            “Great!  You have my address.  When you arrive at the house, ask for Suho okay?”

            “Suho,” Sehun let the name roll off his tongue. 

            “Okay, then!  I’ll see you Saturday!”

            Sehun hung up the phone.  Maybe it wouldn’t be that bad.  Suho seemed nice and friendly.  He couldn’t help thinking about what Suho looked like.  He wondered if the guy was tall, tan, and handsome with a million watt smile.  Most rich people were, in Sehun’s opinion.  But in the end he stopped trying to wonder what Suho looked like because it would be weird if he arrived on Saturday and was met with a 50 year old man with that angelic voice he liked hearing.  That would be the most awkward thing ever.  And just another thing that Jongin could laugh about. 

 

            When he arrived at the Kim residence he was in complete awe.  The house was huge.  He had to pass a mile wide driveway just to reach the gates and once he passed the gates he had to go ¼ of a mile pass lawn animals and huge fruit trees.  When the taxi rode up to the drive way in front of the house, a man wearing a suit opened the door for him.  Sehun was about to pay the taxi driver when the man, who opened the door put some bills in the taxi driver’s hands.  Sehun wasn’t going to complain for the free ride. 

            He got out of the taxi and looked up.  The house was huge: it was at least four stories high and there were some parts of the house that were distinctly newly renovated.  But then again rich people renovated their houses every year.  Sehun hated to think how huge the pool would be. 

            The person who paid for his cab pointed at the door of the house without a word and Sehun started walking slowly up the front steps.  What did he have to do?  Knock on the door?  Was there a doorbell?  Why was that guy staring at him?

            But then the front door opened and a man came out of it.  Sehun’s dreams were thrown to the ground.  His prediction was right.  Suho was a 50 year old man with graying hair.  Not his type.  Goodbye summer fling. 

            “You must be Sehun.”

            And yet the voice wasn’t Suho’s.  Well that was good news. 

            “Yeah,” Sehun waved awkwardly. 

            “I’ll go get Suho,” the man turned his head to face the side of the house and yelled, “Suho!”

            Sehun had to quickly cover his ears.  Man this guy had some loud vocals, “He’ll be here in a minute.  And then he will take you to the pool.”

            Sehun nodded.  While he waited he started to play with the bottom of his shirt and suddenly he poked a hole through the bottom of it, “Well great.” Sehun cursed his bad luck.

            “Sehun!”

            Sehun turned and his mouth fell to the floor. 

            Suho wasn’t tall, not dark, but he was ing hot.  The guy had short brown hair and nice milky skin.  The guy’s eyes were a sparkling hazel and he wasn’t wearing a shirt.  And the guy had abs…really nice looking abs!  And they were glistening, probably from sweat because it seemed like Suho was working outside before being called.  He even had some dirt on his arms.  OMG his arms…his muscles. 

            Sehun cursed Jongin internally because Jongin had been right.  There was such a thing as love at first sight. 

            “Hey,” Suho’s magical voice made Sehun look up and he saw a pearly white angelic smile aimed at him, “I’m Suho.”

            “I’m…so..se…wow.”

            Suho smiled as he gently grabbed Sehun by the elbow, “I’ll take you to the pool. It’s just over here.” 

           

            “There’s not much to clean,” Suho said embarrassedly as he pointed at the pool.  Like Sehun expected, it was large; it was an Olympic sized pool.  But it was flawlessly sparkling and clean.  Actually, there really wasn’t even a need for a pool boy because there was a filtration system installed into the pool specifically for cleaning the pool. 

            “But mom says we need a pool boy anyways, so here you are.” 

            Sehun looked around.  Since Mrs. Kim hired him, shouldn’t she also be here.  Suho seemed to know what he was thinking because he said, “But I’m the only one here for the summer.  She has business trips and other things to do.  I guess her way of feeling less guilty is hiring unnecessary staff to keep me company,” Suho sat down by the edge of the pool, “It does get lonely sometimes.” 

            Sehun sat down next to him, “Actually…” 

            “But you know Sehun,” Suho turned to him, “This house is pretty big.  I know Seoul is far away but you’re always welcomed to stay here!”

            “I guess I don’t mind taking the job then.”  How could Sehun refuse the job now? After meeting Suho? 

            And that’s how Sehun’s summer romance began.