JOONSOO

The Book Of EXO Ships

"Annyeonghaseyo class!" The fresh, new face turns to look at the students, sitting with their backs straight, politely waiting for him to continue. "I'll be taking over for Mrs. Song while she's on a maternity leave. I'm---" he turns around to write on the chalkboard, carefully scribing every character as he says it out loud.  "---Kim...Joon...Myun!" He puts the chalk down and grins at the class. "But let's not be so formal. I hope we'll all be friends soon, so please, just call me Joon Myun."

Upon hearing this, Do Kyung Soo looks up from his notebook in surprise. Why is he so cheery? He mentally shrugs to himself and turns his head to stare out the window. His chin resting in his hands, his elbow on the table, he closes his eyes and lets himself dream. In his head, he sees last semester's report card. I'll do better this time. I promised mom and dad, he thinks to himself.

He opens his eyes to re-focus himself. Listening to Joon Myun teach and enjoying the scenery out the window at the same time gave Kyung Soo a sense of calm.

Kyung Soo's always had trouble paying attention during classes like math, art, history, sciences. During these periods, the clock seems to never move for him, and he contents himself with his window view.

Outside, there's a big tree that stands firmly rooted to the ground, an easily climbable one, with branches that perfectly shielded the window from direct sunlight by hanging overhead at just the right angle. A soft breeze blows by that Kyung Soo breathes in. The leaves rustle and he becomes lost in its sound.

He returns to the real world to finally pay some attention to his favorite class. English.

Something about the way letters formed words, words make sentences, sentences make meaning. It was intriguing to Kyung Soo. And the way Joon Myun taught it made it fascinating

A classmate of Kyung Soo's, Tao, raises his hand. "Joonma?" Giggles are heard throughout the class. Joonma? Is he trying to be cute? "How old are you?" Even he has a smile on his face, laughing at himself for calling him that. Several people lean in out of curiosity, as if that would make Joon Myun answer faster.

Joon Myun chuckles. "How old are you, Tao?"

"Seventeen."

Kyung Soo had recently turned eighteen.

"Well, I'm only a teacher-assistant." He smiles. "So I'm probably not what you expect, but I'm twenty-one years old." 

Kyung Soo's eyes widen in surprise. He's only twenty-one? He can hear whispers across the classroom as everyone marvels at the young, handsome TA. But then Joonma shushes everyone and continues the lesson.

He scrawls something on the board. "Does anyone know what this is in English?"

No one in the room raises their hand. No one in the room likes English class. No one in the room is even good at English class. Well, except for Kyung Soo.

"Yes, Kyung Soo?"

"Uhm.. In English, it is I love you."

"Very good! Anyoen know why I wrote this?"

"It's almost Valentine's Day?" Another student answers.

"Correct!"

And as class continues, he teaches them different love-related phrases in English, cheesy and sweet. Will you go out with me? You're beautiful. I only think of you. My lady. 

Kyung Soo closes his eyes again. Valentine's Day...

--------------------------------------------------------------------

"Joonma! Joonma!" The bell had rung over ten minutes ago. Everyone in class now calls him that instead of his requested "Joon Myun". 

Kyung Soo waited patiently in the back for everyone else to leave. Joon Myun knows why he's still here, waiting. He gives him a signal, and Kyung Soo nods to let him know that he had seen it. After half an hour, everyone is done with their questions and heads out. 

"Kyung Soo." He smiles at the student standing alone, quietly, behind his desk. "I hope you don't mind that I'm the one helping you now."

"Not at all, sir."

"Joon. Just Joon is fine. Or Joon Myun. Or Joonma." He chuckles at that. "Or Suho."

" 'Suho'?"

"It was a nickname I had. Can't remember how I got it, though."

"S...Suho. I'll call you Suho."

Kyung Soo always used to get private help from his teacher after school. Because, no matter how hard he works, he could never get that perfect grade. He's just never good enough. The teacher had always been very patient with him. He could only hope that Suho was the same.

"What do you want to know? Or need help on?" Suho asks him.

He took a deep breath...and Kyung Soo starts questioning him. Everything. Every single subject, anything he wants to know. Even if it's a question about something they hadn't learned yet, he asks it. And Joon Myun answers them all.

"Is that all?" He asks as Kyung Soo finally stops. 

"Yes. I think that's all." 

Joon Myun smiles politely. Then he gives him a questioning look. "Why didn't you ask anything about English class?"

It's true. Kyung Soo never wondered about English class. "I don't know. It's something I'm good at, I guess."

Suho smiles. "I think I have to go now." Kyung Soo says, putting his notebook back in his bag. "Thank you...Suho."

"You're welcome. I'll see you tomorrow then."

And Kyung Soo smiles, the first time Suho's seen him smile since he arrived. "Good bye."

For the next few days, Kyung Soo stays after class and questions Suho. Joon Myun patiently answers each and every question honestly, and Kyung Soo starts to have fun with it. He starts asking Suho random questions, such as "what's your favorite color?" and "Do you like spicy food?" He smiles more, laughs more, and their friendship grows. 

And then it's Friday. Valentine's Day.

Kyung Soo has been fidgeting a lot during their private lesson study session this time. Suho notices it, but doesn't ask about it until finally Kyung Soo asks his last question. 

"Joon Myun? I have one more question."

"Ne?" Kyung Soo switches between "Joon Myun" and "Suho" often, depending on his mood as Suho's noticed. He must be very serious at the moment.

"You might not like it."

"Go on."

"You might not know the answer."

Now Suho is really curious about what it could be. He smiles at that. "I can't know everything. Try asking it first."

Kyung Soo hesitates. "How..how long does it take to fall in love with someone?"

There's a silence. Finally, Suho speaks. "Not too long, don't you think?"

"Joon Myun?"

"Ne?"

Kyung Soo pulls out a small box from his backpack. A surprise he had made himself, prepared meticulously the previous night. A box of homemade chocolates. "I love you." He says in perfect English.

Suho smiles as he accepts it. Then he leans close and kisses Kyung Soo lightly on the forehead. Holding his face close to his, he smirks. "Shhh..." he says. "I'll get in trouble. But I love you too."