BAEKCHEN

The Book Of EXO Ships

Chen and Baekhyun have never really gotten along. It's not that they don't like each other, it's more that they're just never together without everyone else. Baekhyun hangs out with Kai, Sehun, Kyungsoo, Suho, and Chanyeol, and Chen spends his time with Xiumin, Luhan, Tao, Kris, and Lay. The two groups mingle often, in fact, more often than not. But with all the people and commotion, Chen never really got the chance to hang out with Baekhyun.

And actually, it goes deeper than that.

Chen is struggling, money wise. He lives in a small apartment by himself, works a decent part-time job with Xiumin at a small restaurant, and bikes to school. His parents are dead. He has an aunt that occasionally checks up on him through strange and sudden phone calls, but he's very much alone in the city. He smiles his way through school all the while thinking about ways to get more money and what he's going to eat that night. He manages, of course, but just barely and he does not have the luxury to buy himself things for his own entertainment. Things like CDs or even a cellphone. 

Baekhyun is the second son of a rich business man. His house is enormous and when the twelve of them go out, it's often he who pays for most of the meal. He has a private driver and he shined with a brilliance. Chen thinks that Baekhyun must not have suffered a single day in his life. It could only seem that way, what with him living in that style. 

Chen feels in debt to Baekhyun, partly for the meals and partly because Baekhyun is so nice to him.

There had been one day Baekhyun caught Chen crying.

"What's wrong?" He'd asked. Chen hadn't even noticed who was talking to him. He let all his miseries out.

The other boy had sat there with him and hugged him and comforted him. Despite the fact that the two had their differences. Despite the fact that Chen had made his lack of affection quite obvious. Baekhyun had sat down with Chen and stayed with him. He'd whispered to him, "It's okay Chen. It's okay. I'm sure everything will be fine." And that was all Chen had needed to hear. It'll all be fine.

Baekhyun's kindness had been a harsh blow to him for assuming all those awful things. 

Baekhyun must have a great life.

He must have everything he wants.

I'm so jealous of him.

Why does he hang out with people like us?

Did he pay to make us feel bad?

Byun Baekhyun is an awful person.

Chen wants to take back all these words, but of course one cannot take back thoughts. He walks up to Baekhyun one day, as the rest of the group are arguing over something silly and pointless. ("Chocolate ice cream is way better!" Luhan yells, and Tao readies himself for the rebuttal.) "Um, Baekhyun?"

The other boy turns to look at him. The group is gathered outside under a huge tree in the school courtyard for the lunch period. The event is typically a loud ruckus as all the boys have something to say at one point or another. Chen is one of the more quiet ones, like Lay or Kyungsoo. Baekhyun had been resting and leaning against the tree when Chen approached him. He sat up quickly, eyes slightly widened.

"Yeah?"

"Uh," Chen's voice falters as he stares at Baekhyun's shining eyes. They're pretty, he thinks, and he finds himself forgetting what he'd wanted to say. "Can I talk to you?" He finally spits out, and he sees Baekhyun make the tiniest nod of his head.

"Sure." Baekhyun looks up at him, as if waiting, and Chen shakes his head.

"Can we go somewhere more private?"

Baekhyun nods again. He stands up slowly and Chen leads the way back to their empty classroom. He sits down on a desk and Baek does the same, taking a seat on the desk next to him. Chen finds the atmosphere here rather soothing. The classroom without its inhabitants was a quiet and peaceful place.

"Baekhyun, I'm really sorry." He says quietly, feeling nervous.

Baekhyun perks up. "Why?"

Chen takes a breath. "I always thought you were a bad guy. And now I know that's not true. To be honest, you've been nothing but kind to everyone and I always thought bad of it."

He sneaks a glance at the other boy after a few seconds, to see what he's thinking. Baekhyun stares back at him quietly.

"That's alright."

Chen's eyes widen. "Wha- Really?" He stands up and bows, flustered. "I'm really sorry!" He hears the other boy chuckle, and glances up. 

Baekhyun suddenly grabs hold of Chen's wrist and pulls him close. Their faces are centimeters apart. "Well, if you're really sorry, then I guess you'll just have to make up for it." He smirks and Chen gulps. Then the unexpected happens. Baekhyun lightly kisses Chen's lips. "One....by....one." 

Chen's in a shocked silence and Baekhyun suddenly switches back to his old self. "C'mon!" He says, cheerily. "Let's go back to the others." He drags Chen back to the tree by his hand and Chen is still in a daze when they arrive.

Everyone looks up at them. Kai coughs awkwardly. "Um," he starts. "Weren't you two...kinda.... I dunno..."

Baekhyun throws him arm around Chen and beams. He interrupts Kai. "We're best friends now! Right, Chen?"

He looks him in the eye and Chen finally snaps out of it. He looks back at the group.

"Uh. Yeah. Best friends."

Chen starts to wonder what he'd gotten himself into.

 

[131111] A request I received on Wattpad! Yes, I'm starting to leave author's note now~ I hope you don't mind ^^