SULAY

The Book Of EXO Ships

It wasn't like he came here to the library every week. But he totally did.

And it wasn't like he came here to study for classes he already knew everything about. But he totally did.

And it also wasn't like his new second motivation for coming was the gorgeous boy who always sat on the sofa in the corner of the study area next to the window.

But, well, he totally was.

Kim Junmyeon was a strong believer in the nonexistence of perfection. Simply because nothing could be so immaculately put together to call perfect. But the strange boy was the closest he'd ever seen and there was no one who could change his mind.

"I still think Jongin is better looking," said Kyungsoo, barely glancing up from his textbook.

"And Luhan," piped Sehun, barely glancing up from his manga.

Junmyeon groaned into his hands. "You're both absolutely useless. I don't care if he's good looking or not, just... look at him!" He waved his hands as indiscreetly as he could. The mystery-boy was reading classics today, flipping slowly through pages as he ate up the words that Junmyeon could only imagine the pages fed him. "His aura, his ambience, his character. He envelopes perfection."

And okay, maybe he was kind of insanely good looking too. But judging someone on looks was beyond Junmyeon's humble and mature persona and he couldn't risk having his inner indulgences revealed to these two.

Sehun let out an obnoxiously loud sigh before leaning his chair on its back legs and crossing his arms behind his head. Like a troublemaker. "Hyung, as much as we support you, we can barely remember the joys of chasing after someone who doesn't even know your name."

Junmyeon was tempted to groan again. Of course they didn't. They'd both been taken for years now. Kyungsoo and Jongin, Sehun and Luhan. Those years they'd ridiculed themselves to impress their hyungs had been the best. And now it was just Junmyeon left. 

He'd at least expected Kyungsoo to be more sympathetic about it. He'd met Jongin at a cafe, after all.

"Hyung," Kyungsoo said, putting his book down. "Why don't you just go ask for his name and number?"

Well it took you a couple months before you could tell Jongin your freaking order, he wanted to say. He was beyond frustrated. Why had he invited these two to come with him this time around? Oh yeah, they were his friends. But he had other friends too. 

Unfortunately, they were just as bad.

"Want me to ask him for you?" Baekhyun grinned up at him a week after Kyungsoo and Sehun had come. Beside him, Chanyeol had his arm slung around Baekhyun's shoulders, head in the crook of his neck, as if public PDA was something they often did. 

"Yeah, hyung. It's not that hard, is it?" Chanyeol asked, voice reaching utterly impossibly low registers.

Oh but it was that bad. There had been one week Junmyeon fondly called both his best and worst when he'd bumped into mystery-boy between the aisles. He'd been right in front of the book Junmyeon was aiming for. He'd walked up, ready to ask for him to please move over when, all of a sudden, mystery-boy had looked up from his novel, eyes wide and curious as to why he was being approached.

"I... I, uh. Could, um. Please." Junmyeon had frozen up, lamely pointing to the book he needed. 

Mystery-boy had cocked his head to one side, a small smirk curling up from his lips. Even worse, there was a dimple. Oh good lord, why did there always have to be a dimple? Crescent digging into his right cheek, mystery-boy smiled when he realized what Junmyeon wanted. "Sorry, should I move?"

His voice. Sweet? Smooth? A little higher than Junmyeon's? Indescribably endearing? Adorable?

"Um. Yes. Please." It took damn willpower to keep his own voice from cracking. 

Mystery-boy took a step to the side and resumed his reading, head bent low to peer at yellowed pages. Junmyeon kept staring for what felt like years. That dark hair swept to a side, those round eyes and silky skin. In reality, it'd only been a couple seconds, but it was enough for mystery-boy to turn to him, the question what are you looking at? written across his expression.

That snapped Junmyeon out of his trance enough to grab the book and half-run, half-speedwalk back to his table. 

His heart was threatening to leap miles out of his chest and his face felt hotter than the spicey curry Kyungsoo so enjoyed forcing Junmyeon to eat even though he absolutely cannot take spicy food, not for his life.

He peeked behind his eyelashes at mystery-boy. "No, you cannot do it for me and I'd rather you have no contact with him whatsoever." Baekhyun's evil ways could taint the goodness of mystery-boy and how he'd hate to have that happen. 

Baekhyun shrugged. "Suit yourself."

The next week, he went alone, very thoroughly sure that he had the worst friends in the history of the entire galaxy and beyond. Of course, there were other friends, but he highly doubted he wanted to do this ever again.

He resumed his normal schedule of studies and secretly staring -- not stalking -- mystery-boy. 

But he wasn't there. In his usual seat, there was a tall blond man, through a self-motivation-slash-secrets-of-the-universe guide. (He vaguely recalled his name. Kris? Wu Fan? Something of the sort. They'd had a class together last year.) In fact, the entire library seemed packed today.

His table was the only one seated with his sole existence. Other tables were filled to the brim, study groups and all. 

So then where, he wondered, was his mystery-boy?

"Hi, do you mind if I sit next to you? There's no seats anywhere else."

Ah, he thought. There he is.

He looked up to find mystery-boy himself, staring down at him through his dark bangs and a dimple trying to seduce him to smithereens. A pair of purple beat headphones was wrapped around his neck and a MGM backpack was draped across his shoulders. Junmyeon, no longer able to find his voice, motioned passively to the chair next to him, allowing permission.

"Thanks," mystery-boy replied to the gesture. He seemed to chuckle to himself and Junmyeon wanted to die right there and then.

Not only was the one and only mystery-boy sitting next to him, but he was also laughing at how pathetic Junmyeon was. There would be so many regrets to look back upon in the later years.

"Oh hey. I remember you," mystery-boy's smile widened. "You're the one who couldn't ask me for that book a couple weeks ago."

Kill me now. "Y-yeah."

He put out a hand. "My name's Zhang Yixing. And if it makes you feel any better, it was awfully cute how you tried pointing at it." Yixing laughed nervously.

Junmyeon shook the hand offered to him, hoping his own wasn't as sweaty as he thought it was. Yes! Yes, it made him feel better! Was he just called cute? This might just be the best day of his life.

"I'm Junmyeon," he managed to sputter out. "And I... think you're cute too."

Yixing raised an eyebrow before throwing his head back and laughing loudly enough to attract the attention of a particularly grumpy librarian. (It was a student helper, that Tao boy that Sehun had recently befriended. He walked over to Kris/Wu Fan and sat on his lap. Junmyeon awkwardly looked away from that. It was even worse than Baekhyun and Chanyeol.) "You think I'm cute?" Yixing's eyes sparkled.

It was now and never. He preferred never, but might as well be now. Junmyeon gulped. "Um, yes?"

Yixing grinned before ripping out a corner of his library book. Junmyeon cringed at the sight; he was destroying public property. And, as a supporter of the library and all its boundless mysteries, hurting the book hurt Junmyeon.

But all was forgiven when Yixing passed it to him and he saw that on it was a messily scrawled phone number. 

"I know we'll still be here for a while," Yixing said, peering at the notebooks and textbooks Junmyeon had stacked to his side. "But call me some time."

"Yeah, I will." Woah. Did Junmyeon just say a (sort of) full sentence? To mystery-boy-now-Zhang-Yixing? Without stuttering? 

His dimple deepened. "I'm really glad. I like you, you know. I saw you a couple times, at this table. Always here, you were. It was kind of attractive how studious you were." Yixing had the tiniest of blushes, but he was so outspoken. So unafraid.

Junmyeon almost fainted. "Thank...thank you."

"What kind of things are you always studying?"

"Math, mostly. Some stuff for World History. Occasionally Latin." Junmyeon's face was a tomato red. "What about you? What, uh, what are you reading?"

Yixing never stopped smiling as he closed the book that the little ripped piece with his phone number on was from. Junmyeon read the title. It was Shakespeare. 

All's Well That Ends Well.

Junmyeon thanked his lucky stars. And Shakespeare. And Zhang Yixing, for existing.

As they caught eyes and laughed at the strange coincidence that was All's Well That Ends Well, Junmyeon wasn't saying that he loved this boy. But he totally did.