KAIRIS

The Book Of EXO Ships

Kris approached EXO-K's second-maknae silently, making sure to keep his presence unnoticed. He was already feeling embarrassed enough and didn't want Kai to see him walk up red-faced. He towered over Jongin, looking more menacing than he felt as he tried to control the blood rushing to his cheeks. He felt stupid wanting to ask this but it was a wish that no one else could fulfill. He opened his mouth, took a breath, and let the words slip out.

 

"Jongin, teach me how to dance."

 

Kai had been sipping his fruit juice happily, leaning back with ease on the chair in the dorm's kitchen. He almost spit out his drink at the sound of the request and recognized the questioner just from the sound of his voice. He lurched forward and forced the drink down his throat, resulting in a horrendous coughing fit.

 

"Oi! Kai, are you okay?" Kris patted his back roughly, hoping he wouldn't have to resort to desperate measures if the boy was actually choking.

 

Between heaving coughs and sputters, Kai managed to say, "Yeah...I'm...fine..." He covered his mouth with his free hand -- the one not holding the plastic bottle of juice -- and spoke between his fingers. "Why," he coughed one more time, "do you want to learn how to dance? From me, I mean. Go ask Lay-hyung."

 

"I..." I don't want to ask Lay, I want to ask you, is what Kris wanted to say. But he cleared his throat and began again. "Lay's busy with Luhan a lot these days and I don't want to bother...them."

 

Kai nodded. It was no secret to the other group members the affection that had grown between the two. Luhan was a sweet and brotherly hyung and Lay was the precious child that wouldn't hurt a fly. Together, they were a match made in heaven, the angels would sing when they clicked. A few of the members used to have some thoughts towards Luhan, but when those two confessed to everyone that they were together, the others backed off. Kai included. But his feelings were more a fling than anything so it didn't hurt to suddenly tell himself it wasn't possible. He spent his time alone, usually in the dorms, and tried to stay out of there as much as possible.

 

Kai thought over the possibility quickly in his mind. Him? Teaching EXO's duizhang? It was something that had never occurred to him before. He faced forward, away from Kris, and leaned back in his chair once again. Kris looked intently at Jongin, feeling still a little awkward. Then Kai smirked, realizing he could take advantage of this situation.

 

The other eleven all knew that Kris had a certain pride that was rarely left unguarded. He was leader of half of them, now demoted when it came to promoting Growl. He liked to take care of the other members but when it came to trouble, he (and Kyungsoo) were the ones giving the scolding. But Kris didn't scold the way D.O did, with loud voices and targeting your bad behavior. Kris's scolding was the kind that made you feel absolutely guilty about what you had done. Kai had been scolded more times than he liked to think about and it didn't make him feel any kinder towards his hyung. Kris wasn't a dancer, he was a rapper, and he was trusting Kai to make him more of the former. 

 

Kai turned around and gave Kris his sweetest smile. "Sure Wu Fan, I'd love to teach you how to dance."

 

And even though it had been his request, Kris gulped uneasily as he tried smiling back.

 

---

 

"1-2-3-4, 2-2-3-4. Kris you're off-beat." Kai stood off to the side with his hands on his hips. "Try counting in your head."

 

Kris pressed his lips together and Kai stared. Kai had spent the last three days teaching hyung all different dances. Jazz, hip-hop, his and Lay's routine to Two Moons, even ballet, and no matter how many times Kris messed up or had to do something embarrassing (twirls really aren't the manliest), Kai couldn't find it in himself to feel satisfied. Kris had always gotten back up and tried again and that was something Kai admired. It was a trait he himself had yet to perfect -- he often getting frustrated when something wasn't going right the way he wanted it too. Yet here was Kris, prideful, somewhat-narcissistic, somewhat-sassy, dancing to Jazz and messing up every other beat, but getting up every beat after that and continuing. Kai couldn't help it; he felt jealous.

 

"Okay." He said, stopping the music with one click of a button. Kris froze on the floor of the practice room at SM, the sky painted wall behind him. "Let's try something else."

 

---

 

The next day they met again. Kai had begun to teach Wu Fan his own dances, the ones in the teasers, the ones with Luhan and Lay and Sehun. At first, they were his dances, something personal. But something compelled him to teach Kris and after an hour's worth of practicing he rewound the music, stood up and walked over next to Kris.

 

"What?" Kris asked.

 

"C'mon, let's do this." The music started playing and Kai smirked at his hyung.

 

They began dancing.

 

---

 

Kai didn't know when he started to develop feelings for the tall man. It was when he saw how hard he worked. It was the way his fingers moved when Kai taught him the routine to Baby Don't Cry. It was the way his eyes bore into Kai's soul when their eyes met during practice. It was everything

 

He took advantage of the fact that, for once, he was the mentor and corrected Kris whenever he could. A touch on his shoulder here, moving his posture there. He let his hands travel around Kris's body, but never going too far. He bit his lip whenever he put his arm on Kris's lean muscles. It was like an ache in the pit of his stomach. He wanted him.

 

---

 

They met up every day for the next week, secretly, without the knowledge of the other members. They often did this now by request of Wu Fan who wanted to "surprise them on stage". Kai laughed at that and was met with a slap on the arm by Kris who was dead serious.

 

They argued sometimes just about random things like life in the dorms. Or suspicious activity from the other members.

 

"I think Kyungsoo has a thing for Baekhyun." Kai said, starting their gossip session.

 

"And I think Baekhyun has a thing for short Korean chefs named Kyungsoo." They both nodded like too professors sitting down to chat between lessons. Sometimes they shared mutual thoughts like that. 

 

"And, you know," Kai munched on a piece of bread and took a sip of his hot chocolate. Kris had bought various snacks and drinks for today, finding the outside weather to be exceptionally colder than the day before. Winter was approaching fast and he wondered how much longer he and Kai could continue sneaking out of the dorms to practice. It was getting harder with the thicker clothes and boots they each had to adorn before escaping the place. Kris looked at Kai as he continued. They were taking a break from their current "lesson" and Wu Fan rubbed his calves roughly, hoping to relax his muscles. "Suho has been hanging out with Chen a lot lately."

 

Kris nodded again in agreement. "Poor Xiumin."

 

"I dunno. Xiumin-hyung seems to be fine off with just hanging out with the both of them, don't you think?" 

 

Kris looked up, taking a sip from his own drink which was a cup of hot green tea. "Yeah, but I always thought Xiumin and Chen would get together."

 

Kai made a sound like, "Mm" as if in agreement. "Okay, should we continue?" He stood up and put his hand out to help Wu Fan stand.

 

"Jongin, do you think I'm making progress?"

 

Kai pulled him up and Kris marveled at how surprisingly strong he was. "Yeah, of course. We've been doing this for a week, of course you got better." And it was true. Kris was a fast learner and he seemed dedicated. The combination of the two resulted in quick progress and less and less mistakes.

 

Kris brushed himself off and looked around the practice room. "Alright. Let's keep going."

 

--

 

Another week later, the first snow arrived. They wouldn't have been able to sneak out anyway. Kai had come down with a fever.

 

"Hyung, I feel like ." Jongin groaned, his back propped up by a mound of pillows behind him.

 

Kris laughed, sitting on the edge of Kai's bed while holding a bowl of soup. He had intended to take care of the younger boy while the others were out and about. He ladled a spoonful of the broth and fed him. "You look like it too."

 

Kai slapped Kris's arm, but there wasn't much strength in it. Kris laughed again and continuing spoon-feeding him. He set the bowl down when it was empty. 

 

Wu Fan looked at him for a second before smiling and saying, "I guess we can't go out and practice today." Kai scowled and adjusted the bedsheets.

 

"We could'nt've gone out anyway." He felt weird saying "gone out" but he didn't mean it that way anyway. "It's freaking snowing outside."

 

"Jeez," Kris took one of the pillows away from behind Jongin and helped him lie down. "You're really grumpy when you're sick."

 

Kai scoffed. He looked away for a minute feeling slightly bothered by the fact that they weren't spending this time in the practice studio. "We could go anyway..." He muttered under his breath.

 

"What? Are you crazy?" Kris raised an eyebrow and sighed in exasperation. "It's snowing, you've got a fever, and I don't want to be responsible for a sick kid."

 

"I'm not a kid." Was the first thing Kai said back to him. It came out sharper than he wanted it to and he cleared his throat to try again. "It's fine, let's go."

 

Kris knew how stubborn Jongin could be when he made a final decision. He'd lived and looked over all the members for the past year or so; he knew all their habits. "Alright." He grumbled, still unsure. "I'll help you get jackets on and whatever." He put his arm around Kai's back and aided him onto his feet. Kai blushed, whether it was from having to have someone help him up or the fact that that someone was Kris he wasn't sure. But his cheeks shined a rosy red and he looked down to make sure his hyung couldn't see. Kris's arm around his back felt protective, felt warm, felt right and he blushed even harder when he thought that.

 

As promised, Kris helped him put on the thick winter jackets and heavy boots. The locked up the dorm and left for the SM building.

 

---

 

Kai the music gently with his middle finger, pressing the "play" button slowly. The familiar beats of hip-hop came on and he directed Kris to start. "Just do what we did last time, 'kay?"

 

Kris nodded. "Yup." He began dancing.

 

Maybe Kai was feeling delusional. Maybe he was hallucinating. Or maybe Kris had genuinely gotten better at dancing (which was something Kai hadn't expected, to be honest.) But the way Kris moved was like liquid, fluid motions that were kept in perfect time. Kai couldn't move his eyes away from the spectacle and it was going so well too. Until Kris's foot slipped. 

 

"..." He muttered, rubbing his ankle. 

 

Kai got up quickly and instantly tuned into mentor-mode. "You were doing it wrong." Kris stood up quickly.

 

"I thought I was doing pretty well..." 

 

So did I, Kai thought. He didn't say anything though. "Look." He demonstrated the move again. The second time, he told Kris to look carefully. The third time, he waved a hand at Wu Fan, motioning for him to do it with him. And then the unexpected happened.

 

Well, it wasn't really unexpected considering the fact that Kai had been so dizzy he could barely stand straight and that he'd almost fainted getting out of bed earlier. So Kai fell that third time, hitting the floor with a thud.

 

To be more specific, his hand hit the floor with a thud. The rest of him was supported by strong, muscled arms. The arms of his hyung.

 

"Hey, are you okay?" Kris held Kai tightly, worried that the maknae might slip again. Kai felt his head throb from the fall itself, and his face go red from the capture.

 

"Yeah, yeah, yeah." He said, trying to push his way out of Wu Fan's hold. But Kris wouldn't let go. His normal strength probably couldn't match up against Kris's, let alone his strength now that he was sick. "Oi, let me go." He grumbled. But in his head, he was wondering why he was being held so tight. And why it felt so good and maybe his brain was messed up because he was hitting over 100 degrees by now. His heart pounded loudly and he desperately hoped Kris couldn't hear it. Kris held Kai in a more upright position and stared into his eyes, slowly moving his head so that their faces were inches apart and Kai's breath came hard and fast. 

 

Kai opened his mouth, "Y-you probably shouldn't stand so close to me. You'll...get sick."

 

Kris smirked. "To be frank, I don't really care." And he lightly pecked Kai's lips with his own. The kiss lasted no more than three seconds but Kai savored it. Kris's rose pink lips, soft and sweet, the way they curved into his and fit just right. "I've been waiting to do that since day one."

 

Kai pulled back just a little and raised an eyebrow at him. "You never wanted to learn to dance?" Kris chuckled lightly and kissed Kai's forehead lightly.

 

"No. Not really. I just thought it'd be nice to have a really cute dance teacher."

 

They both stood there until Kai put his arms around Wu Fan's back, feeling his muscles through the thin jacket and pulled him in for a hug. His breathing was shakier than ever, but he didn't feel nervous. He felt warm. Words slipped out of his lips before he could comprehend, "Kris, let's go out." It felt as if a pressure had been lifted from his shoulders, a weight removed from the pit of his stomach. And now he felt light. 

 

Kris whispered a breathy reply into Kai's ear. "Let's."