KRISYEOL

The Book Of EXO Ships

It's a sunny day at the park. The sky is blue, birds are chirping, the weather is slowly getting warmer, and the people are happy. It's not hard to say that this is a picture perfect day. It's a small park; a few trees, a little pond, benches scattered here and there. Some couples roam around walking hand in hand. Little kids are on the playground, on the swings or hanging by the monkey bars. Unfortunately, it's also a school day, so most teens are in their classrooms studying.

But not Park Chan Yeol. He's busy climbing a tree.

It's not unusual for him to be doing so. Chan Yeol loves to play around and have fun, but he's also a good student. He should be in school. Technically, class had started about half an hour ago and Chan Yeol had been on his way there too. With a smile on his face, no less. He was excited to see the person he liked, an older boy named Byun Baek Hyun. Baek Hyun is a cute boy, adorable and extremely popular. He's stubborn and puts up a fight, but is as smily and cheery as Chan Yeol. Baek Hyun seemed to show a liking to Chan Yeol recently and Chan Yeol likes his chances. 

He was walking to school with a letter in his hands. A letter from Baek Hyun that said to meet him on the rooftop after school. He was smiling, as usual, but even wider than normal. His heart was happy and even boring, old school couldn't bring him down. That is, until a breeze swept the letter from his hands and into the branches of the largest tree in the park. 

You're kidding me. Absolutely kidding me. Chan Yeol was never too unlucky, but why did things like this seem to always happen to him? He sighed heavily as he felt his heart drop. The tree was tall, but so was he. And he's a good climber. He glanced at his watch and saw that he didn't have any time left. He set his priorities straight....and started the climb.

After just a few minutes, he's about half way up the tree. He takes a careful glance up and sees that the letter is on the branch just above him. He reaches his arm up, higher and higher. It's just out of reach. He decides to risk it and he stretches his arm just a little more. He needs that note back, desperately. He keeps reaching, waving his fingers, trying to gain just a little height so he could get it back. It's about 3 centimeters away, but he just can't reach. Still, he keeps trying.

And that's when his foot slips.

He closes his eyes and feels his hand scrape the branch he was holding on to, and down, down, down he tumbles, hitting every tree limb on the way. He expects to hit the cold, hard, ground, with its grass recently trimmed, too short to stop the impact. He expects to land on his back, not in someone's arms. So when he did land in someone's arms, he can't help but squeeze his eyes even tighter. He feels strong hands under his knees and on his back; he is being held in a princess hold. Aish, so embarrassing, he thinks. He slowly opens his eyes.

The man above him is gorgeous. Absolutely breathtaking. His face has a sculptured look to it, his full lips are pink, his eyes could stare into your soul, and he has three piercings on each ear. His short black hair is spiked up just a little, sort of like Chan Yeol's. He looks down at Chan Yeol and slowly sets him down. Chan Yeol, now on his feet, continues staring at the man's face. He spoke.

"Are you okay?" The man asks him. Even his deep voice is godly. Chan Yeol looks up, realizing that the man is taller than him. He's never met anyone taller than him before. 

"I'm...fine, thank you." He brushes himself off. The man also helps brush off some twigs from Chan Yeol's shoulders. He thanks him again. The man sticks out his hand.

"My name is Wu Yi Fan. But you can call me Kris, everyone else does." Kris gives him a smile.

"Y-yeah. My name's Park Chan Yeol." He takes his hand and shakes it.

"So...why were you climbing that tree in the first place? Shouldn't you be in school?" Chan Yeol cringes at the sound of that. Yeah, I should be... But instead of saying that, he just sighs and points up at the letter, still stuck on that branch. Kris laughs as he sees this and tussles Chan Yeol's hair. He then sticks up one finger as if to say "one second", and starts climbing. Chan Yeol tries to stop him, saying "Hey! It's okay, really!" but he stops as he sees that Kris is a really fast climber. He freezes at the same place Chan Yeol was right before he fell. 

"It's no use, you're not tall eno--" He stops as Kris swings his arm, grabs the letter, and swiftly climbs his way down. "Oh," is all he can manage to say. Kris is about to hand him back the letter, but instead stops to read it. "HEY!" Chan Yeol says, snatching it back.

"Someone's about to confess to you?"

"Wh-what would I know?" Chan Yeol says, embarrassed again.

Kris gives him a smile and tussles his hair again. "Good luck."

"Wait, wha--?" But he is already walking away. "Tha...nks?" He pauses for a second, unsure if the mysterious man had heard him, but he sees Kris raise one hand in farewell. Trying to be cool? Chan Yeol thinks, then jumps in surprise as he realizes what time it is. He'd forgotten about school. "AISH!" And he starts to run.

---------------------------------------------------------------

[AFTER SCHOOL]

Chan Yeol heads up the stairs to the roof. His heart is pounding, his cheeks feel warm, and he's dead nervous. He's about to see Byun Baek Hyun, a boy he's liked for months, well over a year. He hesitates...then opens the door.

Baek Hyun turns around with a cheery smile on his face. "Channie! You made it." 

"Hyung." Chan Yeol greets him with a shaky smile. "What's..up?"

Baek Hyun pauses, seeing Chan Yeol in his nervous state. "Park Chan Yeol." He says slowly and deliberately, exaggerating every syllable precisely. Chan Yeol nods, urging him to go on. "Would you like to go out with me?"

Chan Yeol almost stops breathing. It's a moment he's been waiting for for years. But something feels so wrong. He keeps thinking about full lips, triple ear piercings, a sharp stare. He keeps thinking about not the man in front of him, but a complete stranger who saved him from a bad fall. It's a moment he's been waiting forever for, but he doesn't want it. "I'm so sorry, hyung." He himself can't believe what he's about to say. "I'm so sorry. I appreciate your words...I've been waiting a long time to hear them. And I love you too...but not that way." He whispers again, "I'm sorry hyung" and gives a small bow. Baek Hyun looks sad for a moment, and then gives a smile.

"It's okay Channie. I'll see you tomorrow." His sad smile is knowing, as if he sees what Chan Yeol must be thinking of. Chan Yeol gives another bow, and takes his leave.

He starts to run to the park and stops at the largest tree. He looks up at the branch that his letter was stuck on about 6 hours ago, which is now crumpled in his back pocket. He hears someone walking towards him. He turns around quickly.

"Park Chan Yeol. Fancy meeting you here again." Kris says with a smile. Still trying to look cool? Tch. Chan Yeol can't help but smile.

"How old are you?" Chan Yeol asks him.

Kris raises an eyebrow. "That's a bit personal. You'll have to get to know me first before you can ask that."

Chan Yeol grins. "Okay, sounds about right." Then he laughs and starts climbing. Kris climbs up too and they both sit down on a single large branch very high up in the tree.

They look at each other silently, unsure of what to do next. Kris is the one to break the silence. He sighs, annoyed, and scratches his head. He looks irritated. Then he takes Chan Yeol's hand. Chan Yeol looks over at him, surprised at the sudden contact. Kris isn't looking at him, but instead stares straight ahead at the sky.

"Tell me about you." He says, and Chan Yeol grins. 

"I'd love to."