Discovery

illicit love

   The next morning Leo and Hongbin rose early to explore the island. They had traveled most of the day and still had not covered a third of the island. Leo bagan to get discouraged. On their trip they had not discovered one thing that looked remotely edible. Hongbin began to whine for a rest and water.

"Lets go back to the stream and the clearing," Hongbin said.

"It would take the rest of the day to get back to where we were. That's if we remember where it was," Leo said.

   Hongbin huffed and plopped down in the grass.

"Don't sit down yet. We still have to find some water. Let's continue for a little more," Leo said.

   Hongbin grudgingly got up and followed behind Leo through the forest. They continued to walk for another 20 minutes, Hongbin growing more and more impatient. They finally broke through into a large clearing where a strong river ran on the edge of the clearing. Hongbin ran to the river and fell to his knees at the edge of the river. He cupped the water into his hands and gazed at the water as if it were gold. He continued to drink even after Leo was finished.

"Take it easy," Leo said.

   Hongbin slowed down a bit. He washed his face and walked over to Leo and sat.

"What are we going to do hyung?" Hongbin asked.

"I don't know..." Leo said.

"I'm going to go search the surrounding forest," Leo said.

"I don't feel like moving! Let's just rest hyung!" Hongbin whined.

"We have to find food or else we won't last another day," Leo said.

"Well I'm taking a nap," Hongbin said.

   Leo sighed.

"Ok I won't be too far call me if you need me," Leo said.

"Ok," Hongbin said.

   Hongbin laid down as Leo walked off into the forest. Leo walked around for a good 10 minutes ready to turn around and head back, when he found a trail. A man made trail. Leo's hope shot through the roof.

'There are people on this island!' Leo thought.

  Suddenly Leo heard Hongbin yell his name. Leo raced through the forest trying to retrace his steps. Hongbin yelled his name again. Leo burst through the clearing on the opposite side of where Hongbin sat. Leo spotted Hongbin sitting staring off into the forest. Leo looked in the direction that Hongbin was. There, coming through the brush, was a wild pig. Leo froze. He frantically looked back and forth between Hongbin and the boar. He searched around him and found a large tree branch. He picked it up and gripped it like a bat.

"Hongbin!" Leo shouted, "Get up slowly and walk to me."

  Hongbin whipped his head around to stare at Leo, eyes wide with fear. The boar charged straight for Hongbin.

"HONGBIN RUN!!!" Leo yelled.

  Hongbin got up and ran towards Leo.

"LEO!!" Hongbin yelled.

  Hongbin tripped and twisted his ankle. Leo sprinted towards Hongbin. He reached Hongbin the same time the boar did. Leo pulled back and whacked the boar across the side of its head. Hongbin screamed and covered his face. Leo continued to hit the boar. It squealed and tried to get away but Leo wouldn't let it. Something had taken over Leo when the thought of losing Hongbin crossed his mind.

"LEO!! STOP! THAT'S ENOUGH!" Hongbin shouted.

  Leo stopped and turned around to look at Hongbin, the look of a crazed person in his eyes. Leo saw how scared Hongbin looked and dropped the stick. He sunk to the ground next to Hongbin and embraced him. Hongbin began to cry into Leo's shoulder. Leo hugged the younger harder.

"I can't take this anymore. I can't stay here any longer, " Hongbin sobbed.

"It's ok now," Leo said.

"No it's not!" Hongbin shouted.

  Hongbin continued to cry until his tears subsided.

"You want to know how I know it's ok?" Leo asked.

"How?" Hongbin asked.

"I found a trail 10 minutes away from here. A man made trail," Leo stated.

"Take me away from here," Hongbin said, staring up at Leo, eyes full of hope.                                                                                  

   Leo hoped the trail would take them away from this place. Leo put Hongbin on his back and walked away from the dead boar and the clearing that brought hongbin distress. Leo promised himself that he would never bring Hongbin back to this clearing of bad memories. Leo walked back the way he went the first time. When he came across the trail again he pointed it out to Hongbin. He heard Hongbin heave a great sigh of relief. Leo led them down the trail. They heard waves as they continued on the trail. They came upon a tall wall that looked as if someone stacked large rocks on top of each other. Leo walked around the wall until he came to a small opening.

It was a house.