Chapter 1: The One with the Broken Heart

The One
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 1: The One With the Broken Heart

It was a gloomy afternoon that indicates it may soon start to pour. However, this seems like an opportunity given from above to break a topic that was longing to be spoken by two individuals, or rather by a person. After the school bell rang, Shim Nayoung was excited to meet her boyfriend, Oh Sehun. Although they recently celebrated their 100th day of dating, she still feels the butterflies fluttering in her stomach when she thinks of the day Sehun confessed to her.

As she gets near her locker, she saw Sehun in a daze that seemed to be far fetched. “Hey!” Nayoung smiled and tapped his shoulder, “What are you looking at? Did you wait too long?” She easily entered her pin number into her lock and began collecting necessary books that were needed to be brought home.  

Sehun studied her as she moves her things from and to her bags. “Nayoung, I think we need to talk.” He sighed deeply and leaned on the locker beside her, still studying her as if it is going to be his last. Nayoung looked at him for a brisk moment and smiled, “Sure, I’ll just tidy these up and let’s talk.” She pushed her glasses up as she finished packing and began to zip her bag.

As soon as she closed her locker, Sehun laced his fingers together into hers and began walking away from the school hall. “Where are we going? And what are we going to talk about?” Nayoung asked curiously. “You’ll find out soon,” Sehun answered.

Once they reach a secluded parking area, Sehun took off his hand away from hers and looked at her sternly. “What’s the matter? Did something happen?” Nayoung asked and went closer to him to hold his face, but Sehun moved quickly away from her grasp. “It’s just…” Sehun sighed. “We need to break up.” He looked away from her, unable to meet her eyes.

“Why? What’s wrong?” She asked and tried to move closer to him, but once again he was able to dodge away from her. “Perhaps did I do something wrong?” She asked again.

He sighed deeply, unable to speak the words that he had practiced since last night. “I-I just can’t. I can’t pretend anymore! I can’t pretend to love you.” He looked at her gathering an ounce of courage that he has. He slowly walked towards her and held both of her hands, “I’m sorry.”

Disbelieved, Nayoung shook her head, “No… What you said can’t be true… What about you telling me you love me? What about the day we spent our anniversary?” She fought the tears that were welling in her eyes. “Was that just all an act to you?”

He was speechless for a moment but was able to regain his momentum. He took off his hands and smirked. “Do you really think that I, Oh Sehun, is the type to hang out or more even to date someone like you? We have nothing in common.” This was not at all true, one thing that clicked between them was their love for science and how they had almost the same way of thinking. Which had intrigued Sehun and pushed him to get to know her better.

“B-but…” She stuttered unable to finish her sentence as the tears she fought gushed down on her cheeks. He went closer to her and whispered in her ears, “You were just a bet.” He sneered. “A bet between my friends and I made.”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter