iii.

Her Eternal Peter Pan

            “I’m sorry.”

            Those were the words that escaped Ara’s mouth at the moment as Chanyeol; who was still hugging her asked, “What was that sorry for?”

            “For worrying everyone again and...” she halted for a second to think how would she tell this thing to him.

            Chanyeol who was oblivious to her pause gently put his chin on top of her head as he said, “It’s okay. At least I’ve found you now. It’s getting late in the evening, we should get home. Besides you need more rest.”

            Ara felt like crying at the moment. Why did he care so much for her when she was about to break his heart? She wished she could yell at him; telling him to stop being so nice towards her when she couldn’t return his kindness.

            He then broke the hug as he turned her around so she’d face him. “I really don’t want you to get hurt, Ara. You have no idea how it hurts me badly when you’re hurt. Do you know how much I love you? So much that I don’t even want an ant to hurt you. I care for you because you’re my girl and you were Baekhyun’s girl.

            We both love you but it’s really okay if you remain to love the gone since love can’t be replaced easily, right? I hope what I said to you don’t give you a hard time. The last thing I want to happen is hurting you so I’ll just wish that I won’t ever hurt you, not even once,” he softly spoke to her. He didn’t want to burden her with his confession. He was ready to get hurt because he knew at least the one who hurt him was someone he really cherished.

            Ara was feeling beyond guilty at the moment. To be completely honest, it terribly hurt her to listen to what Chanyeol spoke. It was like he already knew that he wasn’t going to be her eternal love. How she wanted to cry the most at his sincere love. Why couldn’t she see how pure the love that he gave to her? Why was she trapped in the past memories which made her couldn’t face the present?

            “I’m sorry that I can’t give you a fixed answer for now,” she smoothly said those lies. But it didn’t go that smooth as she couldn’t look at his dark brown eyes. It felt like she was shooting fire on those awing eyes if she stared at them.

            Chanyeol understandingly nodded his head. He really meant what he said. He cared for Ara’s feelings way more than his own.

            “You have nothing to worry about that. I’ll wait for your ultimate answer, even though it’s going to take decades,” he beamed at her.

            Ara stiffly curved a smile as she gulped; her saliva felt like it was mixed with sands.

            ‘I already have my eternal answer. But I just can’t say it out to you for now. I’m not ready yet to see you get hurt because of me. I really love you, as a friend.’

                                                                        -

As Chanyeol went home after sending Ara to her place, he was greeted with a big smile from her sister, Park Yura.

            “What’s wrong with you, noona? Are you finally getting yourself a man?” he snickered. Park Yura and men just didn’t mix well; that was a true fact.

            Yura narrowed her big eyes at the younger. “This is not about me, you silly.”

            He stopped snickering as he heard what his sister said. “Then, it’s about what?”

            Yura, who had been hiding her left hand at the back suddenly took out something with a happy grin. It was... paper sheets? Well, it wasn’t just some normal papers.

            Chanyeol took the papers that Yura was holding and as he read what was written on those papers, his eyes grew big as he looked at his sister; asking for a confirmation. Who knew if he might be too excited that he read it wrong?

            Yura knew how happy her younger brother was at the moment as she nodded her head cheerfully like a proud mother. “Congrats, Chanyeol. Your wish has been granted.”

            With eyes which were still staring down at the paper, he said, “I can’t believe this. This is just unbelievable. Do I really get a scholarship offer to further my study at Berklee Music College? I’m not dreaming, am I?”

            Yura pinched Chanyeol’s cheeks as she laughed. “That’s hurt, right? You’re not dreaming at all! This is a dream comes true.”

            Chanyeol instantly threw a big hug to Yura as the elder lovingly patted his back. “Make up your decision well. I know you’ve been waiting and wanting for this ever since you were a kid. Don’t waste this chance,” she advised.

            Chanyeol nodded his head smiling.

 

                                                            -

 

After a long and refreshing shower, Chanyeol took the letter of information that he put on the study table as he reread it over and over again. He smiled at himself. There was no way he would reject this scholarship. He worked hard for it. He felt satisfied by looking at the letter.

            “Congratulations, Park Chanyeol,” the voice of Byun Baekhyun filled his room again.

            Chanyeol gazed around as he smiled, “Thank you, Baek. Do you think I really deserve it?” he asked; as his cheeks reddened.

            “What are you talking about, Chanyeol? You’re more than qualified to get that scholarship! I watched how hard you studied and worked for it and when I knew you succeed it, I seriously want to hug you so bad!” there was a hint of frown in his voice; perhaps because he didn’t get to hug his buddy during his happy moment.

            Chanyeol chuckled at how giddy Baekhyun sounded at the moment. But then he couldn’t help but to think about something; specifically someone. He suddenly grew uneasy as he went silent.

            “I can sense you’re actually thinking about Ara right now,” Baekhyun voiced to wake him up from his thoughts.

            “Or you’re actually reading my mind,” Chanyeol rolled his eyes.

            “Hello Mr. Park! Ghost doesn’t read people’s minds, excuse you,” now he could sense Baekhyun was rolling his eyes.

            “Whatever you say, Baek. Since you can read minds, how about you tell me is Ara going to accept me or reject me?” he straightforwardly asked. He was nervous about her decision. What if she was going to accept him? Then he couldn’t just leave her to fly to USA once she accepted him. It could have gone bad. But then again, if she was planning on rejecting him, then he could go to the USA without burdens but disappointment.

            “I told you ghost doesn’t read people’s mind! It’s probably our instincts on certain things get stronger. Forget that, you won’t want to know anyway. About Ara, I’m not certain as well. Sometimes, it looks like she’s going to the bad one, but then she seems to choose a good decision. Her emotions changed rapidly that I can’t keep tracks with her emotions. I’ll pray for you, Chanyeol. I really want the two of you to get together. Good luck once again, Park Chanyeol,” with that, Baekhyun’s voice faded away leaving the lone Chanyeol in the room.

            “Thank you, Byun Baekhyun. I really appreciate it,” he said smiling at the moving curtains; like someone just passed through it.

            Chanyeol looked at the letter for the once last time before he put it back on his study table. Next, he made his way towards the bed as he slowly landed on it.

            “I hope the light will shine brighter for me tomorrow.”

                                                                        -

 

 

Yura was preparing the breakfast on the dining table when she suddenly felt a wet smooch on her cheek. She quickly got to know who was the ‘culprit’.

            “Good morning, pretty lady!” Chanyeol greeted her charmingly as he flashed his teeth smile at her.

            The elder chuckled at her brightened little brother. “You seem to be so enthusiastic, Chanyeol. On the other note, you rarely call me pretty and I’m so honoured that you called me pretty earlier. What’s with the smile which is even brighter than the sunshine?” she raised her eyebrow at Chanyeol as she put a sandwich on his plate.

            “My pleasure,” he winked at Yura before continuing, “How do you compare my smile with the sunlight anyway? That’s just amusing, Park Yura,” he laughed as he took a bite of the sandwich.

            Yura could only roll her eyes at Chanyeol’s sarcasm. “Have you thought about the scholarship? So, are you going to accept it or not?”

            Chanyeol gulped down the last bit of the sandwich as he gave a serious look to his sister before his lips broke into a boyish grin. “Of course I’m accepting it. There won’t be any way that I’ll reject such a valuable offer.”

            Yura seemed satisfied with his answer as she nodded. “I’m glad that you choose to accept it.”

            “Why are you saying like I won’t accept the offer?” Chanyeol knitted his eyebrows together.

            “I’m just wondering if you have a concrete reason to stay here instead of going to USA.”

            Her words seemed to pierce his heart. To be completely honest, of course he had a reason to stay here in Korea but the reason wasn’t strong enough. If he was Yoo Ara’s boyfriend, maybe, well maybe he would be torn about staying in Korea or achieving his dream in USA but the things weren’t unsure yet. So, he thought he had decided for the better.

            “That reason is probably you. I know how much you need me every single time. You won’t be able to lose me, even on a second of your life. That’s why I think I need to stay here for you,” he said with that cheeky grin of his.

            “You cheesy,” Yura annoyingly threw a cheese at Chanyeol which left the boy sniggering loudly.

                                                                        -

 

 

Alice trudged towards Ara’s room. With a heavy breath, she warily knocked on the door with her bare fist. After a few seconds, the door was opened from the inside, exposing Ara’s pale face as her eyes were swollen.

            “Come in,” the younger girl opened the door wider for her cousin as she retrieved back to her bed as she sat on it.

            Alice sat at the edge of Ara’s bed. “Am I disturbing you?” she eyed every inch of Ara’s room. It was organised well, except for the broken person in front of her.

            “No. You came in the right time since I need a companion to converse about some little stuff. But why do you look so worried anyway?” Ara asked. Who knew if Alice had something in mind so she could tell her parts beforehand Ara.

            “As I remember, you haven’t had your breakfast tonight and you also skipped dinner last night. This is not healthy, you know right?” Alice gave Ara a demanded look.

            Ara sighed. “I’m sorry but I seriously don’t feel like eating. There’s something which is more important than eating going through my miserable mind right now,” she took Alice’s hand as she held it tight as if she was asking for her strength.

            Alice noticed the desolation on Ara’s goddess-like face. She didn’t exactly know what her younger cousin was going through but she knew Ara was having a hard time and she would need her by her side to lend her some strength and caught her when she was about to trip.

            “What’s wrong, Ara? Is this somehow related to Baekhyun again?” her voice sounded hard on the word again. Alice didn’t despise Baekhyun, but she hated how a dead person could bring hundreds of troubles to the still living people.

            “Closely but it’s not him. It’s about his best friend,” Ara answered as another sigh escape .

            Alice raised a curious eyebrow at the answer. Even though Ara didn’t mention a name, but she already knew who. “What’s with Chanyeol? Did he do something out of the blue?” she guessed.

            Ara nodded her head meekly to Alice’s guess. “He confessed his love to me. And you know what, he is being seriously serious. I’ve never had the idea how Park Chanyeol can love me when I’m obviously his best friend’s girlfriend. This is just wrong. This shouldn’t even happen in the first place.”

            “Ara, you were Baekhyun’s girlfriend if you don’t take notice of that. And about Chanyeol loving you, what’s wrong with that? Too bad I don’t see any wrong regarding that. Yet I think it’s like the most rightful thing. Ara, you can’t force people’s feelings. Feelings aren’t something to be gaming about. It really happens now; Chanyeol does love you truly,” Alice said. She needed to strike some realization in Yoo Ara’s mind. Her mind shouldn’t be filled with a dead person. That was rightfully wrong.

            “How I wish I’ve never appeared in front of Park Chanyeol, then this nonsense wouldn’t be happening, right?” her words were harsh.

            That left Alice with a cynical laugh. “You need to remember, if there’s no Park Chanyeol then there wouldn’t be Byun Baekhyun as well. They were best friends and I know they still are. Yoo Ara, do you believe in fate?” she inquired the younger an answer. A truthful answer, which was born from her inner heart.

            Ara nodded with a slight scoff. “Of course I do believe in fate, why won’t I?” she asked back.

            “I’m asking you this because you’re currently denying the fate that God has arranged for you,” the elder gave a long stare at Ara. Her words were sharp and serious.

            “I am not! What are you trying to tell me actually?” Ara was taken aback by Alice’s conclusion regarding her.

            “You are. Do you know you’re being in your denial stage right now? I believe Park Chanyeol is the one for you, not Byun Baekhyun or even anyone else. Give him a chance, Ara,” Alice sincerely advised but she knew better. She knew Ara was going to be really stubborn upon this.

            “I’m not denying anything! And why should I give Park Chanyeol a chance when my heart is only for Byun Baekhyun? My love is eternally for Baekhyun. Byun Baekhyun is my eternal love, not Park Chanyeol! Listen carefully, I’ll only say this once. My eternal love is Baekhyun. And Chanyeol, he’s nothing. By nothing, I mean he’s no one important,” Ara snapped furiously. She was flustered at the moment as Alice continued to give her pressure.

            Alice was about to reply her when both of them heard the sound of a thud in front of Ara’s door. They looked at the door before looking at each other as Alice took the initiative to have a look at the person who was probably listening to their conversation earlier as she went to the door. As she looked on the floor, there was a small pink box and she picked it up to see what it was.

            But then Song Alice gasped to find the name written on top of the box. It wasn’t exactly a name, but the initials already gave her an answer she needed. P.C.Y.

            Ara got curious when she heard nothing from Alice as she went to her cousin and gave her a baffled look as she gazed at the box in Alice’s palm. “What is that?”

            But Alice didn’t respond to her question yet she stared at Ara with wide eyes. “He heard us. Chanyeol was here a while ago.”

            Ara’s face darkened. Damn it. What had she done?

                                 

 

                                                                                                                                                                                    

Ara stared at the small pink box tied with a purple ribbon in her hand. She contemplated about opening it or not. With trembling heart, she untied the ribbon as she put the ribbon away. Then, she slowly reached for the opener as the content in the box was finally shown.

            It was a silver necklace and attached to it was wings locket. Ara took out the necklace and her tears unintentionally dropped from her pools of eyes when she gazed at the striking necklace. It was beautiful and she knew Chanyeol must have been spending hard in order to enlighten her yet what did she do? She hurt him coincidentally.

            Inside the box, there was a neatly folded letter. She unfolded the letter and there were little notes from Chanyeol to her.

 

            Dear Yoo Ara,

            I’m sorry we’ve becoming like this. I know it’s my fault that we turn this way. Only if I didn’t let out those words, only if I wasn’t mesmerised by your beauty, only if I wasn’t contagious to your laugh, only if I didn’t fall for you…

            It’s a regret that it’s happening. I’m really in love with you and I don’t think I’ll be able to stop loving you, even in the future. Do you think I’ll eventually stop? If you do think so, do not come to the airport tomorrow.

            I can tell you’re currently raising your eyebrow by the word airport huh? I’m going to pursue my study abroad; to achieve my dream of becoming a great song writer.

            If you think I won’t stop loving you until the end of my life and you’ll try to love me back, do come to the airport tomorrow and wear the necklace that I gave you. Just to let you know, my flight will be before noon.

            Hoping to be your eternal Peter Pan,

            Park Chan Yeol.

 

            Ara held the letter tightly on her chest. She didn’t notice she was crumpling the letter.

            ‘You’re making it harder for me, Chanyeol. I can’t make up my mind well. Baekhyun, do help me.’

 

[]

 

Sorry for the late update. I've been sick and busy ;; Comment? (';