ii.

Her Eternal Peter Pan

Chanyeol threw himself on the queen-sized bed as a sigh was heard. He closed his eyes shut but images of Ara kept appearing. Yoo Ara whose eyes were telling she loved Baekhyun. Yoo Ara who seemed she wouldn’t and couldn’t get over her deceased boyfriend anytime soon. The fact hurt Chanyeol. It hurt Chanyeol really bad.

            “Why do I love you when I’m not supposed to?” he meekly whispered to himself. He had been loving her for years; even when he didn’t know Baekhyun was also fallen for the same girl. His mind rotated back to years ago during their early high school days.

            Baekhyun came in running as he jumped towards Chanyeol looking elated. “Park Chanyeol!!!” he screamed his best friend’s name out loud.

            Chanyeol blinked at him. Something was definitely gone wrong with Baekhyun’s nerve; either in a good way or bad one.

            Before Chanyeol could ask anything, Baekhyun had shaken the taller boy energetically as his eyes rounded in joy. “I’ve found her! I’ve found my Tinker Bell!”

            Chanyeol creased his eyebrows to load the info before laughing as if Baekhyun just had said the weirdest thing ever in the world. “I know you love the Peter Pan series, Baek. But what’s with you finding Tinker Bell?”

            Baekhyun narrowed his eyes at his buddy. Chanyeol was lucky he was Baekhyun’s best friend or he’d get choked already with Baekhyun’s own two hands. “Why are you this dense, Chanyeol? You’re frustrating me by days! Well, let’s forget that for a while. I have something very important to tell you!” he cheerfully smiled.

            Chanyeol gave a look at him telling him to continue. He wondered why was this friend of his was looking so enthusiastic.

            “I’m in love!” Baekhyun made sure he shouted at the highest octave he could reach.

            Chanyeol’s eyes turned 5 times wider as he grinned happily. “Really?! Who’s that Tinker Bell of yours? You should confess to her!” he lightly punched Baekhyun on the shoulder as he chuckled.

            “Actually, I’ve planned that out. I think I’ll confess to her by this evening. I’m so nervous right now, Chanyeol. And that girl is Yoo Ara,” he revealed to Chanyeol with a sheepish smile. He grew shy just by remembering her name.

            Chanyeol’s smile died down. But he tried his best to maintain his smile posture even though he knew it looked awkward and forced at that moment. “G-Good luck then, buddy.”

            That was all he could say because he suddenly went blank. And at night, he received a call from Baekhyun telling him that Ara had agreed to be his girlfriend which made him become sadder than ever.

            He opened his eyes and looked at the ceiling. “When did life suddenly turn harder for me?”

            “You idiot.”

            Chanyeol quickly rose up from his bed. He swore he heard a voice that called him idiot. It couldn’t be that he was calling himself as idiot, right? He looked around his dark room. He forgot to switch on the light when he came in minutes ago. As he was about to make way to the switch, that voice interrupted him.

            “You’re a real moron, Park Chanyeol.”

            He paused on his track. What was that? Hold on. He wasn’t experiencing any kind of paranormal things, right? This wasn’t right. He might have been hallucinating, he was sure of it or at least, try to make himself think that way.

            “I warn you, don’t ever try to haunt me,” he gulped as he looked around.

            A sudden laughter was heard from his room. Chanyeol was about to shout at the ‘spirit’ before noticing something. The laughter sounded very familiar to his ears. Could it be...?

            “It’s me Baekhyun, you dense,” the so-called Baekhyun scoffed at him.

            “What? Why are you Baekhyun? How can I hear you? Why am I talking to you? What is this nonsense about? This is totally ridiculous!” Chanyeol pulled his hair strands in disturbance because he couldn’t find any logic to this.

            “Shut that filthy mouth of yours, Chanyeol. I have no time to answer your questions. You need to figure that out by yourself sooner or later. Right now, I’m just trying to play Cupid. Or should I call it matchmaker? Well, I’m so fab like that—”

            “What are you blabbering, Baek?!” Chanyeol cried. Now he really did believe it was Baekhyun. But he couldn’t seem to believe it was only Baekhyun’s voice, it felt like it was Baekhyun himself besides him; nagging the old way he always did.

            “I should shut this filthy mouth of mine, I know. Okay let’s get straight to the point, shall we since I don’t want to cause you more puzzlement. Huh I bet you’re confused already, ain’t you? You and your denseness, I totally understand it. But no worries, I won’t blame you if you don’t get what I am trying to say here—” there went his unnecessary chatter again.

            “Cut the crap, Byun Baekhyun! Just get straight to the point!” Chanyeol was getting annoyed with this virtual Baekhyun. It seemed like Baekhyun and his mouth were sticking together until the end.

            “Tell her, Chanyeol. Tell her that you love her; tell Yoo Ara about your feelings towards her!” the voice yelled.

            Chanyeol gasped. “W-What are you talking about, Baek? That was j-just rid-diculous. I only see Ara as a friend, it’s not less or more,” he denied.

            “You do know that you’re not a good liar, right? And as your best friend, I can easily detect your lying so please, just tell me the truth. Admit it, you do love Ara. She is the only girl who you can’t easily give up. I know you love her until the very end,” Baekhyun spoke to his best friend. He needed to throw some realisation inside this friend of his. It was his job. He wanted his buddy to be happy, so did his girl.

            The tall male sighed. Damn this dead for being his best friend. Baekhyun knew just everything about him.

            “If you really love her just the way I did, then I suggest you to confess to her. Go tell Ara that you love her,” Baekhyun suggested.

            “You know that’s impossible right considering that she is your girl,” Chanyeol bitterly muttered.

            Baekhyun chortled. “She was my girl since I don’t belong to this world again,” he calmly stated.

            Before Chanyeol could ask anything, he interrupted, “But it doesn’t mean I don’t love her anymore, I still do that’s why I’m giving you this chance. I want the best for her and I know you can make her happy again. I have my trust on you; to make our girl becomes happy again.”

            Chanyeol beamed genuinely. “I’ll try my best to make her happy again. I’ll make Ara the happiest girl in the world. Thanks for encouraging me, Baek.”

            “You’re always welcome, buddy. This is your chance so use it properly. Be her eternal Peter Pan,” Baekhyun encouragingly said to his friend. It was like his last request to Chanyeol as well.

            “I will,” Chanyeol nodded determinedly.

                                                                                                                                                                                                                        -

 

The next tomorrow, Chanyeol took Ara out for a dinner at a luxurious steak restaurant. He was ready to confess to her. He had the greed to make her as his girl as soon as he could.

            Chanyeol pulled the chair for Ara as the confused girl mouthed a thank you at him. Then he went to sit on the chair that was facing her.

            Ara’s eyes wandered around the fancy restaurant. Why would Chanyeol take her out on an expensive dinner like this? She felt uneasy at the thought Chanyeol might had spent a big amount of money to have a dinner there. She didn’t want him to waste his money just to make her happy.

            She craned her neck closer at Chanyeol. “Why are you bringing me here? You know the menus are expensive, right? I didn’t want your money to be wasted on me,” she told him.

            That got Chanyeol laughing; a little bit too loud that Ara had to smack his hand and glared at him with her doe-shaped eyes. “It’s okay to spend some money on a special day, right?”

            Ara furrowed her eyebrows at Chanyeol’s sentence. “I don’t think there’s any special day occurs today, no?” it was her turn to ask.

            Just before Chanyeol could answer, two set of meals that was ordered before their arrival arrived on their table. He thanked the waitress before smiling at Ara. “Let’s dig in first then I’ll tell you the thing I have to tell you,” he said as he sipped his drink.

            Ara cautiously looked at the male. What was he actually up for? She couldn’t think of any possibility. So she decided to savour the taste of the expensive steak since it was not like they’d be eating there again; or perhaps once a year.

            Soon both of them finished their fancy meals. Ara put her arms on the chest as she gave a probing look at Chanyeol who looked like he tried to restrain his burp from coming out.

            “The meals are appetizing, aren’t them?” he asked; ignoring the look that she gave at him. He suddenly felt very edgy over this confession thing. Could he just run away at the moment?

            “It is. Thanks for the dinner anyway. I enjoy it, but there’s something bothering me. How about if you tell me what you have to tell me?” she inquired.

            He became nervous over her tone of voice. He suddenly didn’t feel amazingly good over it. His heart was palpitating; not in a good way. He wanted to stop what he had begun before it’d ruin. He didn’t dare to face the outcomes.

            “I didn’t tell you to keep quiet, Park Chanyeol,” she was so curious to know what he wanted to tell her. She didn’t know why but she could feel it was something important.

            He tried to combine all the sentences he had practiced earlier at home. His mind was so entangling that he couldn’t remember well. How would he begin her confession at her?

            “If you don’t have anything to say, then we should leave,” Ara groaned.

            Chanyeol was still in silence. He was afraid if he messed up this chance so he wanted to do the best. He thought this deluxe dinner would be useless if he didn’t confess.

            She was slightly winded up that he wasn’t speaking anything. “Then, I’m leaving,” she noted as she was about to stand up before a hand stopped her.

            “I love you, Yoo Ara. Will you be mine?”

            The words struck Ara as she looked at him in disbelief. Did he really just say those words? “W-What?”

            “I want you to be my girl. I’ve loved you in a long time. I love you very much. Will you accept me as your boyfriend?” he gazed at her lovingly as he held her hand affectionately.

            Ara became silent at the unexpected confession. It never crossed her mind that Chanyeol actually kept feelings on her. This was just surprising that her brain couldn’t react properly.

            “We’ve been friends for a long time, Chanyeol,” she began.

            The male gulped. “Yes, I’m aware of that. That’s why I want you to be my special girlfriend, not just a friend.”

            “I-I honestly think all of this is too abrupt. If you want the answer, I have to say that I don’t have the answer period,” she frankly told.

            Chanyeol bitterly smiled. “T-That’s okay. At least you’re not rejecting me right at the moment I confessed to you. Well, t-take your time,” he tensely chuckled.

            Ara awkwardly laughed at his statement. “Y-Yeah.” She didn’t want to hurt him but she didn’t want to hurt herself too. She didn’t know what she was supposed to do.

            ‘Help us, Baek.’

            The two secretly hoped inside their minds.

                                                                                        -

 

Alice was alarmed again. It was because Ara had been missing, again. Mrs. Yoo was crying when she found the memo that Ara stuck on her makeup table.

            I need a time on my own. I’ll be back once things are settled up. –Ara

     That was what Ara wrote on the small paper. Chanyeol arrived at Yoo’s house just a few minutes after he got a call from Alice saying Ara was missing. Alice gave the paper to Chanyeol as the male gave a look at her.

     “I guess the note at the back was meant for you,” the blonde said as she turned the paper. It turned out to be that Ara had written on both sides of the paper.

            PCY, you know where to find me.

     He reread the note again a few times as he looked at Alice. The girl nodded her head at him.

     “She wants you to find her, Chanyeol. Bring her home safe and sound.”

                                                                          -

 

Chanyeol had gone to many places that he thought Ara would be there. From her favourite cafe to the garden that she loved to come to but there wasn’t any single trace of her which disappointed him.

            The note that she wrote rang in his mind.

            ‘You know where to find me.’

            “Damn it. Just where the hell is it, Ara?!” he cussed infuriatingly. He was so worried over her. He couldn’t think well as he became angry to himself.

            ‘Calm down, Chanyeol. She’s there, waiting for you. She’s there; at the place where you once saved her.’

            He could tell the voice in his mind belongs to Baekhyun. He thought hard about the place and a place clicked in his mind right away. He smiled to himself but it died down at a second. What if she attempted to do the same thing again? No, he couldn’t let that happen.

            “I’ll be coming, Yoo Ara.”

                                                                                           -

 

He was panting hard after a run. No, it wasn’t because of the run. It was because he was afraid of losing her. He didn’t want to lose her again, not after he has lost her soul.

            He was about to scream her name out loud but stopped when he saw a walking figure alongside the beach. He let out a sigh of relief. Without waiting for any longer, he ran to her as he hugged her from the back; shocking the girl for a second.

            “I’m glad that I’ve found you. I thought you’re gone. Do you know how glad I feel to see you here? Please don’t scare me anymore. My heart can’t take it to lose you,” he tightened the hug as he kissed her waving hair.

            There was a moment of silence before she spoke, “I’m sorry.”

 

 

 

 

Hi people. Thank you for your views on my story. I really really really appreciate it (: And I don't think I mentioned this before, but this story will be really short (': This is supposed to be a one-shot only but well I guess it doesn't turn out that way aha. Hope to see your lovely comments down there. Thanks again :D