Taokai - Injured

Wolf Pack

(This is a lot longer than I planned for it to be... and I'm sorry if it's not very good!!! Anyways hope you guys enjoy!!! Comments and consturctive criticism are always welcome ~ XOXO ♥)

 

Jongin yawned, blinking away the edges of sleep that pulled at him. He lazily rolled over, facing his lover who still lay sprawled out under the blanket asleep. The blanket covered only the bottom half of Tao, his lover, leaving flawless white skin (with a few bright red hickeys covering his chest that Jongin took pride in making) exposed to the morning sunlight. Silently Jongin shifted to get out of bed, blankets falling off his skin to expose his tanned flesh that bore red hickeys, made by Tao, to the world. Jongin groaned quietly as he moved to get off the bed, his lower back aching from the nights previous events (but it was a pleasant ache so Jongin wasn't complaining... that much). A warm firm hand was pressed against Jongin's lower back, causing the boy to yelp. "Sorry." Came Tao's sleepy voice, and Jongin shuddered because Tao's morning voice was one of the iest things he'd ever heard. Tao's hand began to rub circles into Jongin's lower back, as if to soothe the ache. "Does it hurt a lot?" Tao asked, making to sit up before Jongin pushed him down. "I'm alright Tao," Jongin told him as he pressed against the others firm chest. "Besides it not like I'm not used to it. Now lie down and get some more rest. It's hunting night tonight and you know Kris is going to want you to be awake and alert for it." Jongin pointed out, shooting Tao a smile. Tao nodded as he went to lie back down to catch a few more hours of sleep. On a second thought Tao sat up and pressed his lips to Jongin's, shocking the other. "I'll see you in a few hours then. But take it easy, I don't want you to hurt yourself more before we have to hunt tonight, alright. I love you Jongin." Tao whispered against Jongin's lips giving the younger one last peck before relaxing back to fall asleep. "I love you too Tao." Jongin whispered back before making his way out of their shared bedroom.

The hunt was something the pack did annually with Kris leading the pack and Tao, as the beta, co-leading. The stronger males of the pack would usually break off from the weaker ones to go after the big game, while the rest would chase down the smaller animals (they would rejoin in the morning). Jongin loved the hunt because it gave him a chance to burn off the energy that built up when he was in wolf form. With this in mind Jongin hummed happily to himself as he made his way down the stairs, not paying attention to his step. When he was near the bottom he misjudged his step, causing himself to flail and fall the rest of the way down. He let out a yelp before covering his mouth and settling for low pitched groans as pain spread through his back and down his legs. He didn't want to wake his mate, especially after having the elder tell him not to hurt himself. It was a task to pick himself up off the ground and hobble into the bathroom. Once their he collapsed against the counter, a cry threatening to break loose and unshed tears forming in the corner of his eyes. Slowly Jongin turned his back towards the mirror and strained to look at his back. "How am I supposed to hunt tonight?" He asked himself as he took in the large bruise that was taking up his entire back.

Many hours and 2 aspirins later Jongin stood with the rest of the pack in the middle of their village listening as Kris talked. "You all know how it goes, we start together but halfway through the night when the bigger game comes out me and Tao will lead Sehun, Luhan, Jongdae, and Chanyeol to the deeper parts of the forest. The rest of you will follow Joonmyun and he'll lead you to find the smaller game. Got it?" Kris called out making sure everyone was clear. Jongin nodded from beside Tao, whom he was leaning heavily on, in agreement to Kris. "Are you alright Jongin?" Tao asked quietly noticing how Jongin was leaning into him more so than usual. "What? Oh yeah I'm fine. Just excited for tonight. You know?" Jongin replied, his voice a little strained. Tao nodded in response, and Jongin felt relieved that his mate wasn't able to see through him at the moment. Jongin wasn't sure how he was going to do this, but he hoped that he could pull it off without anyone noticing something was off.

"Let's go!" Kris spoke "the moon is rising and we're killing time! We have to move now!" Kris finished as he made his way towards the dense woods. Jongin trailed slowly behind the pack, Tao having already moved to the head to stand with Kris and Joonmyun. "Are you alright Jongin?" A voice broke into his reverie. Jongin turned to find Minseok walking beside him, worry evident in his eyes. "Yeah I'm alright, just a little sore you know." Jongin told him, shooting the older a smile he hoped would be believable. Minseok nodded "yeah I get that. Luhan isn't always gentle either and can leave me sore. I just always thought Tao was more gentle he's a romantic and all, but I guess you can't judge a beta by his nature." Minseok said as he clasped his hand on the younger's shoulder. Jongin yelped as a wave of pain shot through him, shocking Minseok. "Geez he must have done you good. Well take it easy okay Jongin. The change might be a little bit more painful." Minseok advised before moving ahead to stand with his mate, Luhan. Jongin nodded after the older, already dreading the change.

Jongin could not remember the change/shift from human for to wolf form being so painful. The muscles in his back stretched painfully and mercilessly, making what should have been a flawless and quick change into a choppy and slow one. By the time he was in wolf form everyone had already set off deeper into the woods. Jongin set off at a slow pace, hoping to pick up speed as he went in order to catch up to the rest of the pack. Jongin was able to pick up speed a bit, he even began to think that maybe he'd over reacted about his back; until a shock of pain ran through his back causing him to collapse to the ground. Jongin whimpered as he shifted himself on the ground to a more comfortable laying position. After a few minutes Jongin attempted to stand only to fall back down. With one last whimper Jongin settled himself, hoping that someone would notice he was missing and come find him.

Jongin wasn't sure when he had fallen asleep or drifted off, but the next thing he knew the sky was no longer dark, as the sun was beginning to rise. He blinked a few times to adjust his eyes to the light as he raised his head. Still in his wolf form, he tried to stand finding it a bit easier but still very much painful. With a huff he let himself drop back down to the ground. Jongin's mind began to wander to his pack, wondering where they were and what they were doing. He wondered if Tao had noticed his absence yet and was looking for him, or if the pack simply thought he was still tracking down some game late like he sometimes did. A puppy like whine escaped his muzzle as he thought about this. He didn't even know where or how far from the village he was. Whimpering like the lost and injured puppy he was, Jongin hoped that Tao would, or anybody, would come looking for him.

The breaking of branches alerted Jongin of the approach of a big animal. If Jongin had been in perfect condition he would have either bolted or stood his ground, but he really couldn't do either in his current condition. Fear overtook him for a second as the large animal approached before a familiar scent reached his nose. Jongin began barking (although it came out as a pitiful yelp - but Jongin could care less at the moment) alerting the other of his whereabouts. A giant red wolf came into his line of vision and Jongin let out a whimper of joy because Tao had come to find him. The older, and slightly bigger, wolf made his way over to Jongin sniffing him and pushing his muzzle softly into the others black fur. When Tao pushed lightly on his lower back Jongin let out a loud and pained yelp before shying away. He saw confusion then realization flash through Tao's eyes as the older followed Jongin's movements.

Jongin watched as Tao's wolf form melted back into his human form, leaving Tao as the day he was born. "I'm sorry Jongin." Tao breathed, apologizing as if it was his fault; which it wasn't. Jongin whined and shook his head before pushing his muzzle into Tao's out stretched hand, his mates other hand was rubbing soothing circles into his side. "God, I was so scared when they didn't know where you were Jongin. I thought something had happened to you." Tao confessed. "I’m going to take you back but you have to change so I can carry you back home. You can rest there." Tao said as he continued to pet and rub Jongin’s side. Jongin whimpered and shook his head, he didn't want to change back because he knew it would hurt and he didn't want any more pain. "Come on Jongin, please change so I can take you home where I know you'll be safe and warm." Tao tried, he really did want to get his younger mate back home because he had been so worried. With a defeated growl Jongin allowed his body to change. It wasn't as painful as the day before but it was just as slow and still hurt quite a bit.

When the change had finished Jongin lay sprawled out on his tummy, , on the cool forest ground. He felt Tao's hand run over the bruise that took up his whole back. "No wonder you couldn't move," Tao said in shock "did I cause this?" Tao asked. Jongin shook his head "no I fell down the stairs and that's how this happened. It's not your fault at all." Jongin replied, enjoying the way Tao's hand was soothing his back. "Why didn't you tell me? You should have stayed home and rested Jongin, instead of coming out for the hunt. What would have happened of you'd been injured more or I hadn't found you and something bigger and less friendly did?" Tao scolded, and Jongin felt guilty. "I didn't want to bother you about it." Jongin whimpered in reply. With a sigh Tao stood up before rolling Jongin over, gently, and scooping him up in his arms bridal style.

A few hours after Tao had carried Jongin through the forest and back to the village the pack lived in (and after many worried pack members questions and a small scolding from the Alpha) Jongin lay in bed warm and safe in Tao's arms. "I really wish you would have told me. We could have avoided all of this. Like what if I hadn't found you Jongin?" Tao asked as he shifted so he was on his side, his arm slung over Jongin's waist. "I knew you'd come find me though. You're my mate so I just knew you would." Jongin replied, sounding sleepy and tired, giving Tao a smile. Tao smiled back, because really his mate was just too precious even if he did worry Tao more than he likes to admit. "Go to sleep Jongin. You need to rest." Tao told him as he shifted the younger's body closer to his. "I'll be here when you wake up." Jongin nodded as he pushed himself more into Tao, placing light kisses to his mate’s chest. Tao sighed as he felt the warmth of Jongin's lips sink into his skin, softly running a hand through the younger's hair. With a hum of contentment Jongin allowed himself to be pulled into unconsciousness, lulled by the nearness of his mate.