Peter Pan

Tinkerbell of the Café

When the school bell signaled the end of the day, I simultaneously heard my best friend's shout and my phone's ringing. Glancing at the caller ID, I decided to answer the latter, seeing as how my mother wouldn't be pleased if I were to have a delayed reaction.

"Yeah, umma?" I wedged the phone between my ear and shoulder blade, meanwhile gesturing for Hyeri to stay silent. 

"Jae! Are you on your way?" 

"What?" I frantically asked. "Way where?"

"You have a dentist appointment downtown! Yah, you have a good brain and good looks, but why do you have such a selectively permeable memory," mother babbled on, and I laughed heartily.

"Can't hang out today, Hyeri, I have an appointment." I said as I hung up the phone.

"No problem, I have a chem test to study for, have fun!"

Dr. Min's is a five minute walk from Seoul Prep, and  I've been going to the same dentist since I was a fetus...okay, not quite since that period, but I'm well known at Dr. Min's. I'm not a frequent customer, what with my daily ritual of brushing my teeth and flossing, but I've been there enough to know its surroundings and staff. I arrive early as usual and sit down in the cafe downstairs of the dentist, Peter Pan's.

Even though Peter Pan's is the ideal hangout, being so affordable, serving delicious pastries, and close to my school, I barely go there because of my hectic senior year schedule. I've made a goal to stay on task, be efficient, and get into a good university, and unfortunately having a large goal means no room for social life.

Well, no, I still have my share of friends and lunchtime table fun. Hyeri has been by my side since grade 8, a friend that almost completely contrasts my own personality but as physics laws states, opposites attract. But I'm not the most popular; I prefer to keep a low profile, not quite the full-on nerd but not a flaunty queen bee either.

I've been to Peter Pan's less than half a dozen times. I dimly remember the floral wallpaper, only a hint of recognition upon seeing the waiters and waitresses holding petite tea cups and trays, transparent wings stuck to the back of their casual green uniform.  Upon walking through the door, the first sight is the ordering counter, lined with cup sizes, a coffee maker, and at the back is a cute menu listing the food they offer. Behind the display window are small pastries decorated heartily with sugar, sweets; diabetes in pastry form. Around the shop are booths and small two persons tables, single-seat tables facing the window. The tables vary in sizes, but are all light wood, covered with lace. 

I sit down near a crowded, loud booth, hoping that their rowdiness will balance out my shyness. Once seeing I have seated myself, a waiter pounced on me, his wings jumping as he approached with a happy grin. 

"Welcome to Peter Pan's, what would you like to order?" 

Taken aback with the lack of time to choose, I said the immediate response of my favorite drink, ever. "I'll have an iced green tea latte please, vendi." I was going to order a donut as well, but in context of me seeing the dentist soon, I decided against it.

"Is that all for you today?" he politely asked, plucking the menu from my hands gently. "Yeah, thanks."

Waiting for my drink, I sank back against the comfortable chair and absentmindedly flipped through my phone. When my text notification dinged, I jumped, and quickly shuddered it off, cursing Hyeri for choosing the most random times to text me. Ignoring hesitant glances from the waiter and nearby customers, I glued my eyes to the screen.

Hyeri [3:28 pm]

yah, how's the dentist? or are you at peter pan's? apparently seoul private students go there often...see any hot guys?

I rolled my eyes. Seoul Private is the male counterpart to Seoul Prep, and rumor has it that the boys there are mature, smart, and extremely good looking. Chivalry is still alive when it comes to Seoul Private boys. I looked around, spotting numerous identical uniforms with the badge S.P on it. 

me [3:29 pm]

you'd have a field day here! seoul private uniforms everywhere~ 

I could almost imagine her jumping in joy and flying through her closet to find the perfect outfit to meet me here, when I heard a familiar name.

"Kim Jonghyun seongsaenim, apparently he's moving to Gwangju! We should visit." 

My heart jumped. The voice had a painfully familiar tinge to it. 

I turned around to look for the speaker, and my eyes landed on the table beside me. I almost screamed in shock, in happiness, in anger, looking at the speaker animatedly tell his tale. 

I couldn't move; my phone kept notifying me of Hyeri's messages, but they seemed like bells from afar. I was focused on him. The same arrogant, annoying body of amazingness and fun. My bestest friend, before Hyeri came along. He was a brother to me, always supportive, always nice and sweet to me. He was...my first love. 

Although I would never, ever admit that to his face. His ego is big enough without me pumping it by confessing my crush.

Just then, he looked up, and his face mirrored mine. Surprise, regret, joy. 

I turned away and looked at my phone to distract my soaring heart.

"Yah, Jae Mi?" he asked, trying to sound commanding.

I grabbed some coins, quickly calculated the tip, and stuffed my phone into my bag, and fumbled for the iced green tea latte.

"Jae! Why are you leaving?" his voice escalated and by now, his entire posse at the booth has turned to stare at me, eyebrows raised.

I stood up, hurrying towards the staircase that leads to the dentist's office. 

From the corner of my eyes, I can see him shooting his friends a nervous lopsided grin. His lopsided grin is like an iced green tea latte...and I like iced green tea lattes.