Chapter 41

Turning Point

A LIGHT AND SHORT CHAPTER TO MAKE IT UP TO YOU GUYS.

 

"Wow..." Kai awed when he carried little Jiwon in his arms, mouth agape as he watched her squirming about. "She is so cute!" he squealed softly and Minho threw him a dirty look. "What?" he blinked rapidly at Minho, a little embarrassed. 

Minho clicked his tongue before he commented, "a grown man like you squeal like a little girl." 

"Yah!" 

"Hey, shhhh. Krystal is sleeping!" Amber hissed softly to warn the boys before the even broke into another argument that they had everyday. "Give me the baby." she opened her arms and Kai passed her back Jiwon carefully. 

"What's her name again?" Minho asked, tapping on the little one's nose. 

Amber smiled when she saw Jiwon frown, "Jiwon."

"Her surname?" Kai asked.

"Liu." 

"Amber?" A weak voice interrupted the questioning of the two boys. Amber immediately turned her head around to meet her wife's gaze. 

"You're awake." Amber smiled, placing Jiwon down gently beside Krystal. Krystal showed a little surprise when she saw a baby sleeping beside her, also, looking like her. "Krystal, meet Jiwon, another important girl in my life." Amber grinned, slipping her hands into the pockets in her jeans and looking proud. Even though she was tired and slightly in pain, Krystal managed to cuddle the baby closer to her body so that she would not feel cold in the air-conditioned room. 

"So... are you saying there are other important girls in your life too?" Minho joked and put an arm on Kai's shoulder, half-leaning against him. Kai smirked as they were up to another teasing.

Krystal merely gave a glimpse at Amber and Amber caught it, went tight suddenly as if someone was choking her. "y-yah! I d-didn't mean it that way! You aish, Choi Minho? Are you really my friend?" She lunged at Minho and gave him a headlock, struggling because of the height difference. It amused Krystal because of the unexpected reaction from Amber. 

"Ahh! OUCH! OW! Krystal! Help!" Minho gasped and tried to break free but Amber was seriously choking him. He slapped Amber's forearm and looked at Kai for help but Kai shrugged and stood there watching the free show instead. 

"Amber." Krystal called out after she noticed that Minho was not looking too good. "Stop playing now." She had this soft smile on her face so her words didn't come off harsh. Upon hearing her wife's command, she stepped away instantly and shoved Minho away. 

"I... erm... Krys-" 

Krystal chuckled weakly when she saw how Amber's face scrunch up when she couldn't find a right word to phrase her sentence. "I understand." 

Amber rubbed the back of her neck and smiled sheepishly, earning a nudge from Kai. "Jiwon?" Amber looked up, eyes rounded when she heard Krystal calling her daughter's name. "Beautiful name." Krystal smiled and carried the baby up to rest on her chest, she gave Jiwon a peck on the head and inhaled her baby's warm scent. 

"Are you okay if she takes after my surname?" Amber asked, sitting down beside Krystal's bed. She couldn't hide her smile when Krystal replied with a nod. "Anyway, there's someone else I want you to meet as well." 

"Who?" 

"You'll know tomorrow." Amber smiled. "Do you want to eat anything?" Krystal shook her head. "Oh... drinks?" 

"Hey hey, I think Amber changed a lot." Kai whispered to Minho as he nudged him. The two were observing their friend and almost wanted to doubt that she was the friend that they knew. Minho gave a firm nod as he agreed strongly to what Kai was saying. 

"We should leave now and let them talk." Minho whispered back and Kai smiled. "Hey, Ambro. We're off the date girls. See you soon. But no girls for you." The boys scurried out of the ward when Amber pushed back the chair, wanting to give them a punch each. 

"Haha, you know. Boys." Amber chuckled awkwardly, stealing glances at Krystal to make sure that she was not angry about what the boys had said. 

Krystal closed her eyes but the smile didn't fade away. "You're not any better." 

"Yah..." Amber pouted slightly. The two fell into a short silence which was soon interrupted by the baby cry. "Gosh, why is she crying?" Amber was basically panicking and pacing about in the ward. Krystal was trying to pacify the baby but then she didn't stop crying. A nurse happened to walk past the room and came in to check. "W-why is she crying!" Amber asked anxiously, grabbing the nurse by the shoulder. 

The nurse went to check if the baby had soiled her diaper but no. "She must be hungry." 

"Feed her then!" Amber snapped. 

The nurse smiled at Amber and left the room without saying anymore word. "What the? What kind of attitude is that? I have to comp-" While she was ranting and turning around to face Krystal, her jaw dropped when she witnessed the scene in front of her very own eyes. "S-sorry." She said and quickly turned to her back again. 

Krystal shook her head and said, "It's okay." 

"No no. I am not looking. Tell me when you're done." Amber said, waving her hand in the air while covering her eyes with the other hand. It amused Krystal again and she could only chuckle. The room was peacefully quiet and Amber was scared that Krystal might hear her heartbeat, so she made an excuse to leave the room, saying that she wanted to relieve herself. Maybe figuratively. 

 

About ten minutes later, Amber figured that it was time to return back to the ward and she was indeed, relieved to see that the baby was put back on her crib with Krystal patting her gently to sleep. "You're back." Krystal smiled when she saw Amber walking toward her. She patted the space on the bed beside her, asking Amber to sit. 

"A-are you hungry?" Amber asked, feeling the heat travelling up her neck as she recalled the scene in the ward earlier. Krystal shook her head. "I'm... sorry." 

"For?" 

"Not being there for you.. You know..." Amber's shoulders drooped and sighed, eyes not meeting Krystal's. 

It took a moment for Krystal to find the right word to use. She cupped Amber's cheeks in her hands carefully, feeling so unfamiliar but comfortable. "It's not your fault." 

Amber slowly looked up, mouth went dry. Her hands moved up to take Krystal's hands off her cheeks but only to kiss them tenderly afterwards. "No... you won't- you don't know how- I would kill myself if anything happened to you." 

Krystal didn't speak a word. She watched Amber and saw the tomboy's eyes damp as the seconds went by. "I was scared. So scared when you were in there. I thought of leaving with you, if you didn't make it." Amber choked on her words a little and wiped away the tear with her bandaged hand. 

"Your hand?" Krystal held the wounded hand gingerly, she had noticed it awhile ago but didn't question because Amber didn't raise the topic. 

"Oh... erm... Uh..." 

"You didn't punch the wall out of anger, did you?" Krystal squinted her eyes 

"What?" Amber was surprised that Krystal knew exactly what she did. Then she quickly denied it, "hah! no of course I didn't! Do you think that I am crazy?" 

"Sometimes." 

"Yah!" Amber raised her voice slightly and Jiwon squirmed again, Amber quickly slapped with the other hand. "Actually.. yeah you're right." she whispered, head lowered again. 

"Knew it." Krystal said. "But next time, don't." 

Amber looked up with a huge grin as Krystal didn't give her a lecture. "Yes ma'am!"