Chapter 15

Turning Point

Amber frowned. She didn't know what to say upon hearing the other girl's request. She didn't see it coming when she was on the way to her house. "But..." 

"Baby please..." Suzy pleaded, tugging on Amber's arm because she knew it would work. It worked every time. 

"But..." Amber trailed off again. Her mind occupied with the thought of another girl in her house, in her room to be exact. "What about Krystal?" she asked carefully, aware that Suzy didn't like a tiny bit of Krystal. 

Suzy pulled her hands away and looked away. "Can't she sleep somewhere else?" she asked coldly. 

Amber pressed her lips together. "She's pregnant. " She whispered the last word. 

"Am, is she your girlfriend or am I your girlfriend?" Suzy questioned, arms folded. 

Amber sighed in exasperation and mumbled," she is my fiancee." 

"Do you want me to be sleeping on the road?" Suzy asked, her voice became softer, eyes rounder, looking at Amber. 

"No..." Amber said. 

"Right. That's it then. Come on, let's go." Suzy chirped and pulled Amber off the sofa. She dragged her luggage with another hand and smiled at Amber as they walked to the tomboy's car that was parked outside Suzy's house. Old house. She had sold it away to clear her grandfather's hospital bill. And of course, there's another reason behind it. 

 

 

 

 

"Krystal, how is that possible?" Mr Jung asked in bewilderment. He and his wife had been questioning their youngest daughter since their arrival but Krystal's answer was not up to their satisfaction. 

"It's true appa..." Krystal said again. Her voice grew weary because of all the explanations. "I am sorry... I didn't mean for it to happen..." she looked down, playing with her fingers again. Just another habit that she had. 

Mr Jung looked at his daughter sternly. He had never thought that his youngest daughter, also the most obedient daughter, would get pregnant the moment she left their sight. "Four months already right?" he asked, quietly. 

Krystal nodded. 

"Can't abort it?" he asked again. 

Krystal shook her head vehemently. "I will not do it." 

"But... What about your studies?" he asked in a reprimanding tone. 

Krystal froze. She didn't know what to say. 

"Soojung-ah, you know that we only want the best for you, right?" her mother suddenly spoke. Krystal looked up to meet her mother's soft gaze and then she looked away. She would not give in. 

"Omma, if you think that by taking away my baby from me is the best for me, you are wrong. It has been in me for four months. If you are going to do it, it is like taking away part of me. I will... die." Krystal said, her voice still steady even though she could feel hot tears at the back of her eyes. 

Mr Jung and Mrs Jung looked at their daughter. They were upset, of course. They knew that Jessica and Yunho were not like other kids but they had never expected their youngest to be one of them too. But fortunately, they were rather open-minded. "Do you love her?" Mr Jung asked gently. 

The moment she heard the question, Krystal's eyes darted to meet her father's stern ones. Mr Jung saw a glint of tears. "I do." She said. "Even though she doesn't." 

"But I've heard from Yunho that she admitted it." Mrs Jung said, worriedly. 

Krystal smiled, recalling that day. "She said it because she wants the baby. I know it well." Then, she rubbed on her baby bump in a circular motion and then gave a half-smile to her parents. "So I will keep it." 

 

 

 

 

Suzy and Amber had finally arrived at Amber's mansion. To be honest, she didn't want Suzy to move in with her but the girl told her that she would have no where to go if Amber didn't want to keep her. Furthermore, she was her girlfriend. On the way back, Amber was thinking about the possible explanation to Krystal. She even thought of chasing Suzy out if Krystal minded. But then she thought, even if Krystal minded, she wouldn't say it to Amber. 

"Take my luggage to Amber's room, please." Suzy said to Junho, another worker in the mansion. Junho complied and Amber looked at Suzy from the corner of her eyes. 

Does she really want to stay in my room? What about Krystal? Where does she sleep then? 

"Let's go Am." Suzy smiled, linking her arm with Amber. Amber gave a forced smile and let Suzy drag her into the mansion. 

"Grandma," Amber greeted and Suzy followed after. Granny Liu pressed her lips together when she saw Suzy. Then she barely nodded to them and went to her office in the mansion. Amber had informed her that Suzy would be moving in. 

"Grandma still doesn't like me." Suzy mumbled sadly. 

Amber looked to her side at Suzy and put her hands on her shoulders, looking into her eyes. "Don't worry. Let's go up." 

 

"Does she treat you well?" 

Amber stopped when she heard a man's voice coming from her room. 

"Yes."

She heard Krystal's voice too. She clenched her fists as she thought Krystal brought a man back, her teeth gritted, ready to barge in and punch the man. 

"Krystal, I love you so much. I don't want to see you hurt." 

Amber's nostrils flared. She gave a few rapid hard knocks on the door, thought that she would give them time to react, before she barged into the room with a red face. "Krystal Jung?" She called out angrily. Krystal was shocked when she saw Amber suddenly barged into the room. Her eyes widened when she saw Amber stomping towards her father, almost giving him a blow in the face. 

"Amber stop!" Krystal immediately said and Amber held back her fist. "That's my father!" 

Amber's eyes grew wider and her jaw dropped to the floor. After realising the truth, she immediately bowed 90 degree and kept apologising. "I am seriously sorry Mr Jung. I thought you were..."

"Were what?" Mr Jung asked, his face was in displease. 

"I thought you were... were-"

"She thought you were someone bad. She just wanted to protect me appa." Krystal said rushly. Then the commotion was interrupted by Junho who was carrying the luggage up. 

"What are those?" Mr Jung asked, pointing to the few luggage on the floor. 

"can't you tell? Those are luggage." Suzy replied, sarcastically. She didn't like how Krystal had her family around her and she could even live with Amber. 

"And who are you?" Mr Jung questioned, totally unsatisfied with how the girl replied him. 

"Me?" Suzy pointed to herself with a small smirk. Amber's mouth went dry and her palms were sweating. She brushed her fingers surreptitiously on the back of Suzy's hand to ask her to not say it but Suzy folded her arms in front of her chest, pretending that she didn't feel it. "I am Amber's authentic girlfriend." 

 

 

 

 

"You better sort things out, do you hear me? I am not letting you off if you hurt my baby girl. I don't even care if you are rich and will sue my pants off if I punch the hell out of you because I just don't care. If you dare to let the bratty girl bully my baby girl, be sure to face serious consequences. I will not only punch you, I will even skin you alive." Mr Jung said to Amber before they left the mansion. From everyone's point of view, they thought that Mr Jung and Amber were just hugging. 

Amber was shivering so bad and she kept nodding, even after Mr Jung pulled away. Krystal smiled as she thought her father had finally accepted Amber because of what they explained just now. Everyone sat in a room together, with Suzy, with Granny Liu and all of them. Granny Liu assured Mr and Mrs Jung that Amber would get married with Krystal after she had gave birth because her baby bump was too big then. Suzy wanted to protest but she didn't dare to because Granny Liu was there. She couldn't speak a word because she stood no place. Mr Jung was rather satisfied with Granny Liu's answer and they agreed on the wedding. 

"Good bye appa, take care omma." Krystal said, hugging both her parents carefully. Mrs Jung patted her daughter's cheek and said, "eat well okay? Call us if you need anything." 

Krystal nodded and looked at her father. "Thank you appa." 

Mr Jung just nodded and then went into the car. Krystal knew that Mr Jung was just being protective but he still accepted Amber after all. 

Amber and Krystal, as well as Suzy watched as Mr Jung drove off. Then, when the car was no longer in sight, Suzy pulled Amber back in excitedly. Amber almost fell because of the loss of balance. Krystal just watched quietly as Suzy kept dragging Amber into the house. She followed after them as she rubbed on her belly. She kept her smile on her face even though her heart was feeling heavy. 

"Let's take a bath together, baby." Suzy cooed and Amber almost choke on her own spit. It reminded her of that day when Krystal initiated a bath together. Then, their bedroom door opened again, revealing the girl she had in mind. 

Suzy knew that Krystal would hear them so she said, "quick. I can't wait to bathe with you." 

Krystal's heart dropped again when she heard it but she pretended that she was too busy to hear it. She flipped through the magazine on mother and baby's health care. Do they do it often? She wondered as she stare at a particular page. 

"N-nah. I am tired. You go first." Amber finally croaked out when she saw Krystal sitting on the bed, reading magazine. She knew that Krystal heard it but she pretended that she didn't. "Krystal, have you eaten?" She asked her, walking closer to her. 

Suzy's eyes narrowed and she shot daggers at the girl who seemed to be engrossed in her reading. Then, she turned around and slammed the bathroom door shut. That made Amber and Krystal jump up then Amber rolled her eyes at Suzy's tantrum. 

"Have you eaten?" Amber asked again when Krystal was looking up. Krystal didn't answer her. She grabbed her pillow and walked past her. "Wait, where are you going?" she pulled Krystal's arm to stop her. 

"Guest room." Krystal replied shortly and pulled her arm off Amber. Amber watched as the girl left the room, closing the door behind her quietly. She knew that Krystal was upset. But she didn't know what to do. Her girlfriend was here but she just wanted to care about her fiancee. She was confused. Shouldn't she be tending to her girlfriend instead? 

Then, she opened the door in a rough manner and walked towards the guest room. She peeped through the small gap and saw Krystal sitting on the bed, hugging the pillow close to her with her face buried in it. is she crying? Amber frowned. 

She was right. She saw the girl's shoulders shook and a few muffled sobs were heard. Her chest tightened at the sight of it. She should do something. But... what?

*knock knock*

Amber pushed the door further in and stood by it awkwardly. Krystal didn't look up even though she heard the knocks. She wanted her pillow to wipe away her tears first. "Can I come in?" Amber asked. 

"Y-you are al-already in." Krystal sobbed. Then she took in a few deep breaths to calm herself down 

"Oh right." Amber said, rubbing the back of her neck. She inched closer to Krystal who was sitting on the edge of the bed. "Are you... crying?" 

"No." Krystal denied. Her face still buried into the pillow. She couldn't really stop her tears yet. She didn't really know why she cried but she knew that her heart didn't feel happy. 

"Okay..." Amber said, standing in front of the girl. 

"C-can you l-leave me alone?" Krystal asked, her voice still muffled. 

"Can I not?" Amber asked, sitting down by Krystal's side. 

Krystal sighed out when she felt a weight beside her. Then she froze when she felt Amber's arm snaking around her shoulders, pulling her closer to her. "I am sorry." she heard Amber sigh but she kept quiet. 

"D-don't cry. You know I don't know what to do..." Amber said, sounding defeated. Her awkward fingers slowly brush through Krystal's smooth silky hair then. She liked it. So, in the end, she ended up keep doing it, Krystal's hair. Krystal, on the other hand, felt tense at first but it soon faded away and was replaced by calmness. She let herself sink into Amber's embrace and she was no longer in tears. It was the first time they were so close, she guess. 

She could hear Amber's heartbeats. why is it so fast? she thought but listened to it anyway. "Move back, please?" she heard Amber said. She could feel the vibration against Amber's chest. 

Krystal sat up, pulling herself away from Amber. "What about Suzy?" She whispered. 

"She can sleep here." Amber said quickly. 

"She's your girlfriend." Krystal's voice broke at the last word. 

"You're my fiancee." Amber replied. 

"You love her." Krystal thought her voice couldn't come out but it did anyway. 

Amber was stunned. She didn't know what to say. "I-I... I l-love-"

"baby can you get me my lotion please?" The two of them jumped up when they heard Suzy's voice coming from the bathroom in another room. 

Krystal looked away and continued hugging her pillow. "Go." 

"I-I will go..." Amber sighed out. She took one last glance at Krystal who wasn't looking at her before she went out of the room. "Ah you are such a coward Amber Liu." she scolded herself along the aisle back to her room. 

She fetched Suzy's lotion for her and passed it to her in the bathroom. Then she contemplated if she should go back to Krystal but she decided against it as she thought Krystal wouldn't want to see her anyway. 

Meanwhile, in another room, Krystal was giving Amber one minute to return back if she really loved her like what she said that day in the cafe. Then she extended it to five minutes. Ten minutes. Twenty minutes. Until she heard Suzy's giggle from the other room. Their room. Then she chuckled sadly to herself. She should have known, she thought.