5

The Cat Prince

I should go.  No, I shouldn't. But he did send that nice invite to a Royal gala. But I don't really know him. But if I go I would get to know him for who he is. But why would he even invite me anyway? Ugh I don't know!

 

Light's inner monologue had started the second she had finished reading that invitation she had received, and had kept up well into the next day. The main thing she kept asking herself was why he had sent her the invitation in the first place. He had sent her that note with the flowers, saying that he wanted her to get to know him. But some big Royal party seemed to be a bit much. And there was no way should could afford a dress that would be appropriate for one of these big, fancy parties.

 

Right. I shouldn't go.

 

A knock on her door turned her from her thoughts. She moved the envelope to her kitchen counter to be thrown out later as she went to answer the door.

 

Yuna walked in like a whirlwind. "I can't believe he did that! I thought he was going to be my prince, my happily ever after! We had lasted so long and now! Now I can't even bear to think about him!" She fell dramatically on the couch, looking over at Light, waiting for her to ask the right questions about what had happened. A dance that was all too familiar for the two.

 

"What happened?" Light moved to sit next to her on the couch, placing a comforting hand on her shoulder.

 

"Tea first! You should know the pattern by now." Yuna laughed a little, getting up and heading to the kitchen. Light rolled her eyes and followed. She had almost forgotten how much Yuna enjoyed this routine of theirs. Sometimes, she even thought that she had broken up with guys just so they could go through it.

 

"Just tell me what's going on Yuna. You two were so happy yesterday. What could he have done to cause you to be so mad?" Light leaned against the entryway as she watched Yuna fuss about making her tea. "And you had better be making a cup for me."

 

"Yes, of course I am. I know how much you love your tea." She turned from the kettle to the cupboard to get the mugs. "After you left yesterday, he came over and -" she paused, seeing a heavy, expensive looking envelope on the counter. "What's this?" She put the mugs down and reached for it.

 

Light's eyes widened, and she tried to grab it away from her. "It's nothing, just junk mail that I had forgotten to throw out."

 

Yuna's hand reached it before hers did. "It doesn't look like junk. It looks like something special." She flipped it over, opening the envelope and pulling out the invitation inside it. "His Royal Majesty Kris Wu invites you…" she trailed off, reading the rest.  "Why is the Prince of the Magic Community inviting you to his welcome back party?" She looked up from the shimmering gold writing with wide eyes.

 

"I.." Light tried to think of what to say, before realizing that, in all honesty, she didn't really know why she was invited in the first place. "I really don't know. I think they must have sent it to the wrong place. I should just toss it."

 

"No way!" Yuna held it close to her chest. "It says your name and address on the front, I don't think it was sent to the wrong place. They knew where they were sending it, and to whom! It's even embossed! This was meant for you!"

 

"Just because it was meant for me, it doesn't mean that I'm going to go." Light shrugged it off before seeing Yuna's face. She looked so sad, as if someone just killed a puppy. "Yuna, there is no way I could afford a dress that would be appropriate for this type of party. And I wouldn't know anyone there so who would I even talk to?"

 

"I'm sure we could find something at some second hand store or something. And you are allowed to introduce yourself to new people and make new friends! So long as they don't become your new best friend then it’s all good!" Yuna was getting more and more excited the more she thought about it. "Just imagine if you met the Prince himself!" A far off, dazed look crossed her face. "How romantic would it be if you danced, and talked, and fell in love! Just like a fairy tale!" She started swaying on the spot, eyes closed, dancing to some music only she could hear.

 

Light looked away, trying not to think about the fact that she had actually met the prince in question. In quite a compromising situation too. But it was probably best not to let Yuna know any of that. It would fit too much into her fairy tale thing, and Light really did not want to be pressured into falling in love with him, or anyone for that matter. Let Yuna find her fairy tale, and Light could keep her life the way it was. Uncomplicated by some idiot guy. All of this should have happened to Yuna, not me. She would be all over this.

 

She took the mugs from beside her still-dancing friend and poured out the now-ready tea. "You still haven’t told me what happened with Taemin."

 

"Oh," Yuna snapped out of her little dream world and took her mug from Light, leading the way back to the couch. "That's not really important. What is more important is finding you something to wear to this ball! I'm thinking something in a light blue…" She trailed off, thinking about dresses and where to get them.

 

Light rolled her eyes and sat down next to her friend, with no intention of actually going or buying a dress even, but knowing that she should play along, for Yuna's sake. Clearly, she needed the distraction from whatever it was that Taemin did, and Light was alright with providing that for her.

 

---------

 

A/N

 

Look at that, another chapter really quickly! I'm on a roll!