1

The Cat Prince

"UGH!" Light exclaimed, throwing her bag on the floor of her apartment as she slammed the door behind her. Another failed date, another let down. Guys were all such jerks. She wondered if there were any decent men left at all, or if they were a myth, like unicorns.

Just as she took off her shoes, her phone rang in her pocket. She knew who it was without even checking the screen. Yuna, her best friend. Someone who always seemed to know when she returned home, no matter what time it was. "UGH!" Light grunted into the phone.

"So it didn't go well?" Yuna replied, her voice kind of sad. It was Yuna who had set up this date in the first place. One of her newest boyfriend's friends.

"Not even a little. He was a total prat the whole damn time. Where do you even find these guys anyway?" Yuna was always setting her up, thinking that, since she always had a boyfriend, it was her duty to get one for her best friend too. Something Light never really appreciated and yet still always went along with for some reason.

"He seemed really nice when I met him. And interested in you too. Maybe you should give him another chance?"

"No. I'm done. Done with dating, done with guys. I'm just sick of it. If there really is some Mr Right out there, I'm done looking for him. He can find me." Light hung up the phone. She was done talking about it for the night. She knew Yuna would try to convince her differently about her ban on guys, but she was determined. Love was for someone else, not her. Love was for her characters in her novels, not real life. It didn't exist in real life.

 

 

She wasn;t in the mood to write the next day. She sat at her computer screen, looking at the last words she wrote, and was unable to think of anything to add. It was a good thing she didn't have a deadline for this book. It was the first a new series, and therefore no one was really waiting for it. She was also very glad that she didn't have to go into some office. She really wasn't in the mood to talk with people.

A cat. That's what I need. That way I can still have company and yet not actually have to talk to someone.

This idea was very pleasing to her. Yuna would hate it. She always said cats were for crazy old cat ladies. It was sign of giving up. And hadn't Light just done that? Give up? Maybe it was time to become a crazy old cat lady. Smiling, Light brought her tea cup back to the kitchen, grabbed her keys, and headed to the shelter, hoping to find a perfect cat companion.

 

The shelter wasn't far from her place, only about 15 minutes. Once there, it didn't take long for her to find the perfect cat. He was beautiful, but he had this really sad look on his face. Could cats even get sad? She guessed so. He must not have had a good life before he came here. He was also a bit shy, not approaching her, but he did allow her to pet him. It was good enough. He would get more comfortable around her eventually.

 

Once home, her cat, whom she decided to name Natsu, seemed pretty happy to be out of the shelter. He exited his carrier carefully, exploring the small, one bedroom apartment. Light left him alone, putting all the food and cat things away. She set up the litter box in the bathroom, the scratching post in the living room, and the bed just outside her bedroom door. The lady at the shelter said Natsu was litter trained. She hoped she was right.

 

Natsu lay down on the couch, finding it to be quite comfortable. Light looked over at him, and felt happy about bringing him home. Every sad romance writer needed a cat right?

 

A knock was heard at the door, shocking Natsu. He sat straight up, staring expectantly at the door. Light opened it, letting Yuna in.

"Thanks for hanging up on me, honestly. I was just trying to help, you could at least-" Yuna suddenly stopped, staring at Natsu, whom, after losing interest at the door, had jumped off the couch and started batting around a feathery toy on the floor. "A CAT? Are you kidding me?"

"I like cats." Light replied, shrugging, and moving over to sit with Natsu, watching him play with his toy. He looked up at her briefly, before returning his attention to the toy.

"After all I've done for you, all the work I've put into getting you a boyfriend, you're just going to give up? After one lousy date?" Yuna sat at the dining table, looking lost and forlorn, as if Light had given up on her. Which, in all honesty, Light was very close to doing.

"I never asked you to do any of that. I don't care about having a boyfriend. I'm not like you, needing someone all the time. I don't mind being alone. And it wasn't just one lousy date. Every date I go on is awful. Every relationship I get in always ends with me hurt. I'm just sick of it. I'm done with that stuff. I'd rather just work on my writing and live my life. Without someone making it more complicated." She looked pointedly at Yuna as she said that last bit.

Yuna let out a huff of air. "I just don't get you. You write such beautiful romantic stories, and yet you give up on love. That doesn't even make sense."

"Most romance writers are lonely, Yuna. That's why they can write such good stories. Happy people can't write as well as sad people. It's a fact." Okay, she had no idea if was true, but so long as Yuna believed it, that was all that mattered.

"Whatever," Yuna flipped her long blue hair over her shoulder. "I'm not giving up on you. I won't set up any more dates for you, but I'm not going to let you give up." She pulled out her phone, punching numbers in. "I'm ordering food. You pick a movie."

Light rolled her eyes. Yuna could try all she wanted, it wouldn't change her mind. She went over to her movie rack and tried to find something that wasn't some sappy rom com.

 

After a few weeks, Natsu had really settled into Light's apartment. And Yuna had kept her promise of not setting up Light on any more dates. She still came by all the time, talking about whatever guy she was dating and how great he was, how great his friends were, and how Light should come and hang out with all sometime. Light refused every time. She was happy at home with Natsu. She didn't care about meeting some guy that Yuna was just going to ditch within a week and trying to make friends. It was pointless. Somehow, Yuna still believed in fairy tales, and seemed to think she could tell whether or not some guy was her prince within a week. It made no sense to Light, but she stayed out of it. It was Yuna's choice, not hers.

At least her novel was coming along well. Maybe Natsu was her muse, sent from the gods of creativity to help her write.

 

"FINE I'll freaking meet them. Just shut up about it." Light gave in a few weeks later, after Yuna had been dating someone for more than week. They were at three weeks now. It was record. Light figured it was about time for her to meet this guy, He must be special to make Yuna stay.

"You'll love him. He's so sweet, and cute." Yuna placed her head in her hand, a dreamy look on her face. Light resisted the urge to vomit.

"Just don’t try to set me up with one of his friends, okay?"

"Yeah, yeah…" Yuna replied. Light could tell she wasn't even paying attention to what Light was saying at all, too busy daydreaming about this guy… What was him name again? Oh yeah, Taemin or something….

 

The next night, Light joined Yuna and Taemin for dinner. Taemin brought along one of his friends, Jonghuyn. Jonghuyn was a nice enough guy, very good looking, but beyond that, Light barely paid attention to him. Taemin treated Yuna like a queen, fawning over her, and being very sweet. Light could see he was exactly what Yuna had always wanted, and was happy for her friend. She couldn't help but feel that all the attention Taemin gave Yuna was way too much. She wouldn't have appreciated it.

Dinner was nice, the conversation a little scattered, but it was alright. Sometimes it felt awkward between Light and Jonghyun, especially when Yuna and Taemin were all over each other, but other than that, it was nice.

Light came home and lay down on the couch. Natsu jumped up and curled up on her chest.

"You know, Natsu, I know I said that I gave up on love but I wouldn't mind having someone. The kind of guy who would do little things like put his arms around while I cook, or bring me coffee in the morning. Someone who knew exactly what I liked without me really saying anything about it. Someone who actually loved me more than anything." She covered her eyes with her hand. "Too bad someone like that only exists in books, huh?"

 

I would do that. I would be that. For you, anything.

 

Natsu lightly touched her face with his soft paw, trying to comfort her.

"Sometimes, Natsu, you seem more human than cat." Light sighed, then carefully moved him off of her. "You're probably hungry, seeing as I didn't give you dinner yet. Sorry." She got up and got his bowl from the floor. "Sometimes I think you're almost human, but at the same time, I;m glad you're not. Because if you were a guy, you would probably be like all the rest of them."

 

No. I used to be. I wouldn't. Not for you.

 

After making sure Natsu had started eating, Light went to room, exhausted. She fell asleep more quickly than she normally did.

 

His dinner finished, Natsu followed his master to her room, and found his normal spot on the pillow beside her head. He stared at her face, millions of thoughts going through his head.

 

Those guys you dated before. They had no idea about you. If they did, maybe they would have been different. I would give anything to stay here, by your side forever. I want to be human again, to hold you, care for you. But if I was, I would have to leave you. I would have to go back to what I did before. You would be alone again. I want to stay a cat for you. Stay with you forever. Even if it means never getting to hold you, kiss you… I don't want you to be lonely. I love you.

 

His eyes closed, drifting off to sleep.

 

Light woke up the next morning warmer than usual. It was a comfortable warmth though, coming from beside her. Still half asleep, Light cuddled into this new warmth, not wanting get up. That was when she noticed something. Something had their arm wrapped around her. Shocked, she opened her eyes to see a man, a very good looking man, lying next to her, his arm draped around her waist. He sighed as she stared at him, her eyes wide. He pulled her closer to him, which caused Light to freak out. Fully awake now, she let out a shriek, and moved as far away from him as she could while still saying on the bed.

 

The guy was except for the collar around his neck, which distinctly read Natsu across it.

 

"WHAT THE HELL?"

 

 

 

 

 

**A/N:

Okay that was longer than I thought it would be, but there you go! The first chapter! I hope you like it!!

Also, I was watching SHINee's first concert in Japan while I was writing this and I saw Lay dancing and my first thought was "MY BABY!" even though he's only a year younger than me.... I'm so weird. That had nothing to do with the story but whatever. 

I'll post the next chaoter soon!!**