t h r e e

Remembering Us

"Sumi! Sumi, please wake up!" my mother calls.

I groan after being shaken harshly. Sitting up slowly, I release a cough as my senses become more clear. It smells like water and I'm wet. I have that burning sensation in my nose from inhaling water. Holding my head delicately, I force myself to open my eyes.

My family surrounded me. As soon as I was concious, they pulled me in for a big hug. My mother was sobbing. "I'm so glad you're okay!" she cried out, patting my head. 

I look down to my balled up fist. In my hand was the stone that I had been holding on to so dearly. "Ji," I call, catching her attention. "Here. Have this." I hold it out to her but she shakes her head. She takes it and shoves it into my pocket, motioning for me to keep it. I smile and give her a quick peck on her forehead. Poor thing. She probably feels guilty and thinks it's her fault.

I sit up a bit straighter. "Who... who saved me?" I ask. 

"Oppa! Oppa did!" Chi replied to me, eyes full of enthusiasm.


I can't breathe. If I try, water fills my lungs. I try to cough, but instead I choke some more. My arms are flailing. Someone hold on to them. Someone catch me, save me! 

As if someone answered my prayers, I'm magically pulled out of the water. Strong arms carry me up, and suddenly I don't feel the weight of being in the river. He's carrying me out to safety. 

As I'm lain on the grass, I choke out some water. "Are you okay?" a tender voice asks me. I can hear the concern and worry in his tone. Somehow... it's reassuring...

I nod. Opening my eyes, I can make out his face. Before I can even open my mouth to say something, I black out.


"Some guy brought you back to our campsite, called a medical team, and just left," explained Minkyu. "He left without explanation. I didn't even get his name." I frown at the news and look around.

There were a lot of medics around, including a hospital van that was parked next to our tents. Several of the other campers had come from their tents to crowd around the area. What was the big deal anyway? I just drowned. I could understand my family getting concerned, but there was no reason for the other vacationers to freak out too.

Whatever. I needed to find the boy that saved me. I couldn't just let him off like that. 

Seeing me stand up a doctor rushes over to us. "Please don't strain yourself. We should get you to the hospital for a quick examination just to be safe," she warns. "But--" I open my mouth to protest, but she hushes me. I find myself being pulled into the back of the van along with my mother.

"Mom," I plead. "If I don't look for him now, he might get too far."

"Who?" she asks, her voice hitching.

"The boy who saved me." 

My mother tsks. "Oh sweetie. You were out for an hour. I'm afraid he's long gone by now," she replies, patting my head.

I sit back into the leather, crossing my arms and looking out of the window with a frustrated sigh. 


I sit up in my bed. It's morning. 

"Time to wake up the others," I groan. I pull down my pink covers to slide on my bunny slippers. Walking out into the hallway, I pick up the bell that hangs on the wall and shake it violently, causing a ringing sound to echo throughout the house. "Rise and shine everyone!" I holler as I walk down the hallway, knocking on everyone's door.

First the twins. I open the door and throw stuffed animals at the bunk beds until I get a response. "Eonni, okay okay!" Ji screeches, throwing a stuffed koala back at me. I stick my tongue out at her and close the door.

Next Minkyu. I frown as the door was locked. Before I can pound on the door to wake him up, he says, "Don't worry. I've been up."

There's no need to wake up my parents, because they work overnight and sleep in the morning. They're night nurses, so they work at the hospital at night. Instead, I tread down the steps and into the kitchen.

I pull out a pan and begin to make breakfast. The smell of eggs and bacon wafting through the house ushers everyone downstairs and out of their rooms. After breakfast I push everyone out the door and into the car. First to be dropped off is Chi and Ji. Their elementary school is only ten minutes away from the house. After dropping them off inside, I run back to the car.

Minkyu's school was a little bit farther away. He's extremely gifted in academics, so he goes to a specialized school that's a little bit out of our way. I don't mind though. If it means he's getting a good education, the drive is worth it. "Have fun at school!" I shout from the rolled down window. Minkyu stops to turn around rapidly and shoot me a thumbs up. I grin at him before driving away.

Students aren't allowed to own cars. That's one of our school policies. The reason for that is: if everyone has a car, we have no parking lot, and traffic would be a real pain. So instead of pulling up at school, I part ten blocks away from the building and walk the rest of the way.

Homeroom is a drag. Everyone's excited to meet the new transfer student. So am I-- but I'm dreading it at the same time. If it isn't the boy who saved me, then it's going to be such a let down because I got so worried over it. It would be all for nothing.

The bell rings and everyone rushes to their seats. "Good morning everyone!" my teacher sing songs, walking into the room. We all greet her good morning.

"There's someone I'd like for you to meet..."

I gulp.