o n e

Remembering Us

The windows are rolled down, and everyone in my family screams out the lyrics to the song, hands out the car as the girls' hair is flapping around. It's been three hours of nothing but joy and relaxation. My family and I are on our way to the countryside. It's our annual camping trip that we take every summer-- a summer that I was very much looking foward to.

The song ends and we all relax, getting back into our seats as the windows roll up. "Phew!" my mother exhales, tying up her hair once more. It was beaten by the wind. I watch as she delicately adjusts her bangs, humming to herself. "Look kids," my dad calls. "We're almost there."

I turn my head to look out the window. It's the same wonderful sight that I long to gaze at all year long. Sighing softly, I rest my chin in the palm of my hand. Great green plains stretch out endlessly as the mountains' sillouhuette peeks from behind. I look up. The sky is a dazzling shade of blue with no clouds, just how I like it. I cringe as the sun's glare meets my eyes. I pull down my shades to cover my pupils, turning away from the window to observe my family.

The twins, Ji and Chi,  were sleeping. I found it cute how they were curled up next to each other, trying to hold on to one another in their booster seats. They were even wearing matching dresses. Minkyu went back to his console, his blocky headphones eliminating any form of sound to be heard by him. I'm the oldest out of all of them. I'm fourteen. Being the oldest has it's perks, but I hate being the one to have to do everything.

My mom is in the front seat while my dad occupies the steering wheel. They're a normal couple-- we're a normal family. Sometimes they can be a little boring, though. I don't mind. I love my family the way it is.

A few hours later and we pull up into the campsite. We usually go farther out, closer to the river, so not many campers come by this area. After setting up the tent while my parents went to pick up some groceries at the mart (which was 30 minutes away), I decided to take my little siblings down to the river. We loved to collect rocks and admire the fish that swam in the crystal clear water. If the current was slow enough, we could swim as well.

It wasn't our lucky day, since the water was rapidly rushing along the stream. Ji and Chi got to work right away on looking for some rocks. Minkyu got a little closer to the river, so he could examine what was floating about. "Look look!" Minkyu exclaimed, turning back to me. His eyes were full of enthusiasm and light. "There's a fish swimming against the current. Amazing."

We all huddle around him to peek at the fish. He was right. It was swimming against the current. The little fishie wasn't going anywhere though, staying in the same place but still paddling. I guess the current was a little too strong. 

Ji tugs on my sleeve. "Eonniiiiiii," she whines. "'Shiny!" She makes a heart with her fingers and points to a spot. I don't understand. Looking closer, I could see there was a shiny rock of pure white. It looked like it was in the shape of a heart, but maybe it was the rushing water that made it look like that. It was a little bit too deep into the river though. Not in the middle, but closer to the side that we were standing on. 

I looked back to Ji. She was practically begging me to get it with those eyes. 

"Fine. Stay here," I groan. 

I wade into the water. The current is pushing against my foot. It's faster than it seems.

I gulp.

Another step. The water is now up to my ankles. The stone is within reach, but I think it's better to take one more step.

I step closer once more. The water is pushing against my mid-shin. 

I reach for the stone and grab it. It isn't a heart shape like I predicted, but instead it's more of a deformed circle. I turn around to wave the rock in the air with a triumphant grin.

The twins cheer as the jump with glee. I pick up my feet to run back to them, but I forgot that I'm standing in the river.

I slip on the rocks and fall in.

Everything turns into a blur.