t w o

Remembering Us

"Sumi."

My head flies up in response to my name. I rub my eyes as I yawn, taking notice of my surroundings. "What?" I groan, blinking against the light. Everything was so blurry. I reach for my glasses and set them on my nose.

I realize I'm at school, jolting up straighter in my chair. "Oh-- I'm so sorry!" I hurridly apologize. My classmates giggle at my response, as the teacher just shakes her head unamused. I sulk in my seat with shame for the remainder of the day.

"Sumi, it isn't like you to sleep in class like that!" My classmates tease. I groan as I get poked in the side. "Sorry-- I just... I didn't get any sleep last night," I explain, my shoulders hunching up in guilt. They all laugh. Stress was understandable at our age. After all, it isn't easy being sixteen. "Was it the twins again?" my friend Nina, questions.

I nod with a pout. I open my mouth to say something else, but I get cut off.

"Hey! Did you hear? We're getting a transfer student today."

My attention suddenly turns to the other conversation. "What?" I question, getting up from my seat and walking on over to them.

They look up at me with a surprised look. "Yeah. I heard from our teacher that we're gonna have a new student transferring over. Which is odd-- since it's the middle of the year."

Perhaps, it would be him?

Impossible. Why would he transfer here, of all places?

I shake my head. "When he-- or she-- coming?" I ask, forcing a smile upon my lips.

"Either later today or tomorrow. Why?" They ask, gathering their books for the next class.

I frown as the bell sounds. "I'm... just curious," I finish, plumping back into my seat.


I can't even sleep. The possibility of seeing him again makes me so nervous. I doubt he'd remember me. Or maybe he would? After all, the whole thing was only two years ago. My facial features haven't shifted much since then. Well, I did have bangs when I was fourteen. I got rid of them last year. Would that be the only thing holding us back now? My bangs? Would that make him remember me?

A raspy sigh passes through my lips. He probably wouldn't remember. And even if he did, what were we supposed to say to one another?

"Oh hey, thanks for saving me that day on the river and dissapearing completely from my life before I had the chance to even thank you. But now since you happened to ironically transfer over to my school after two years I've decided to thank you properly."

"Oh-- you're welcome."

Yeah, that'd be complete bull. I think if it truly is him, I'd just be friendly with him at first. If he remembers me, then I'll thank him properly. But otherwise, I don't think I should be the one making all the moves.

I'm not sure if I could even recognize him as the guy who saved me. I don't know his name, location, or info. About the guy who saved me, I mean. The only thing I could remember before I passed out was a pair of strong arms grabbing me and pulling me out onto the grass. I saw his face for a few seconds and then I out.

Thank God I remember his face. 

Those eyes... I swear that if I stare for them for too long I would get lost in them, and yet, I don't ever want to look away. I haven't seen him smile, but I bet it'll be the most magnificent smile that I've ever seen. I just simply want to thank him for saving me, and to see his precious smile.

If I hadn't fell in the river, I would have never met him. He would've never saved me. But since I did fall in the river, he saved me, I met him for like three seconds, and then he dissapeared from my life leaving nothing but a distant memory. What's up with that? It's like I never met him in the first place. The way that I'm looking back on all of this makes me feel like he was nothing more than a fantasy.

Oh, please. Please let the new transfer student be him. I'd do anything to meet him, and to say thanks.