04

365 days of love

"Just stop it you two! Every time. Every time i get back home, it always you two quarrelling. If you guys really can't live with each other anymore, just divorce, okay?! I don't give a damn anymore!" Jessica was on the verge of tears. As soon as she got back to her parents' house, her parents were screaming and throwing stuffs at each other. It had been like that for almost two years. It was usually her mum who started it. As her dad was a businessman, he rarely had time for his wife and also because both of their daughters were famous celebrities, they were busy everyday and it was difficult for them to make time for their mum. Therefore, Jessica's mum was usually alone at home with no one to talk to and no one to cook for. She would go out and meet friends in the past, but she stopped doing so, complaining that her friends were all snobbish and arrogant who always bragged about their family. Because Jessica understood, she would always try to be as giving as possible towards her mum. She admit that her temper was short these days and she just couldn't take all the shouts and insults they were hurling towards each other. 

She slammed the door and ran out.

_____

Jiyong took a deep puff of his cigar and exhaled the smoke slowly.

"I thought you promised to stop smoking."

He turned around and saw Jessica, dressed in simple jeans and hoodie, with a cap on her head. He shrugged and took another puff. Jessica rolled her eyes and went to stand beside Jiyong. She held out her hand. Jiyong looked at her in confusion. "Huh?"

"Give me a stick."

Jiyong laughed sarcastically. "You are crazy."

"I'm serious. Give it to me."

Jiyong frowned and shook his head. "No. I'm not allowing you to smoke."

Jessica scoffed. "Who are you to control what I do? Are you my mum? Oh heck, my mum doesn't even control me. She don't even care. She's just screaming and crying all day and bugging us to go back home, but once we do, she just picks a fight with all of us and makes everyone miserable. My life enough and she just have to add on to it."

Jiyong tried to take a look at Jessica's face, but her cap was pulled down and it was dark. He went closer to her and silently wrapped an arm around her shoulders.

"Do you think you should be doing this?" Jessica's voice was abit hoarse and Jiyong guessed that she had teared alittle.

"Do what?"

"This?" she shrugged her shoulders. "You-know-who might get jealous."

Jiyong dropped his stick on the ground and stepped on it. "We broke up."

Jessica turned her head to look at him. She felt ashamed for feeling hopeful. "..why?"

"What why? She was never right for me. She was just after my money and wanted to leech off my popularity. You know, like her, I knew we weren't going to last."

"huh? Then why did you hook up with her again?"

Jiyong kept quiet for awhile. He removed Jessica's cap and looked at her straight in the eyes. Their faces were just inches apart. Jessica blushed and looked away, but Jiyong held her cheek gently, forcing her to look at him. "I wanted to see what you will do."

"What do you mean?"

"I wanted to see if it makes you jealous."

Jessica widened her eyes in shock. "What?! Are you crazy?! Why will i be jea-" Jiyong pressed his lips against hers and kissed her softly. Jessica's could feel her heart thumping rapidly. He pulled away while still keeping his gaze on her. "I don't care what happens in the future. I don't care how this is going to affect us. I don't care if everyone left me. I just need you. With you by my side, i'm braver than anyone. Saying 'I love you' might be pressuring on you at this moment, so i'm just going to say i really really really like you alot. I wasn't brave enough to say this three years back, and deprived myself of 3 years of happiness with you by my side, but it's alright, we have countless years ahead of us and I will not let anyone hurt you. Will you be my girlfriend?"

Jessica bit her lips to stop it from trembling. Her eyes were shining with wet tears. She felt like every bad thing doesn't matter anymore, because the one that she had loved so deeply in secret was finally confessing to her.  But at the same time, it felt like her world came crashing down. "We still have countless years ahead of us." Was repeating in her mind. She had to make a decision. To hurt him for awhile now or permanently in the future when they had gone too deep to turn back. 

"I-i.. I can't-"

"It wasn't me?"

Jessica looked up. Jiyong's head was down. 

"So i guess it wasn't me afterall... The one... who you admitted to liking a few years back. You was so persistent on not revealing who the guy was and silly me for a moment hoped that the guy was me." He chuckled. "Why would you even like me, right? I'm frivolous, i smoke, drink and party. Of course you wouldn't give a second glance to a guy like me."

Jessica cursed herself mentally. She knew she was never going to forgive herself for hurting Jiyong later, but she couldn't help it. She used her fingers to gently tilt Jiyong's chin up. His eyes were wet. Jessica giggled. She wiped his tears away. "Wanna hear a secret?" She tip-toed slightly and kissed him.

"That guy was you."

 

Suddenly, I have the strongest desire to live.