Chapter 1

Appa, please be happy

Wait…

 

 

He ran as fast as his feet could carry him in this endless sunset landscape blanketing his surrounding. Water splashed onto his shoes-covered feet and jeans. Although the wind was gently blowing into his skin, he felt his sweat running down his collarbone and disappear beneath his now almost sticky shirt. He didn’t remember wearing one and jeans with shoes as well, as he fell asleep only in his boxers on. His blonde hair was disheveled; it looked untamed at the moment as he ran.

 

 

Wait…

 

 

The water beneath his feet reflected back his self and broke in ripples. He almost tripped by his own feet, he regained his footing and ran again.

 

 

Don’t…

 

 

What was he chasing though? He saw his own arm tilted forward, hand reaching as if it wanted to grasp something.

 

Something…

 

…something…?

 

What…was it……?

 

 

His eyes finally see the object of his pursuit. It was a human. Clad in all black from top to toe. He saw the figure had broad shoulders, he couldn’t see the figure’s face but he knew the moment he laid his eyes on the figure, it was a male.

 

 

…don’t go…

 

 

He finally skidded into a stop. The distance between him and the other male was far but enough for him to have a full view of the person and their surrounding. His turned his head to the west. The sun was still there, it didn’t…move one bit. But he could still feel the gentle breeze and the water; it only reached half of his toes; was still rippling beneath his feet.

 

 

Wait…

 

 

He turned his head on the other male’s direction and tried to speak. Only to have his lips shut tight, like it was sewed. He still could scrunch his thick brows in confusion. His eyes can still moving in its sockets, but why…just simple sentences wouldn’t come out of his lips?

 

Suddenly his legs move by their own accord, toward the male on the other side.

 

 

“Stop,”

 

 

The low yet familiar voice made him stop, not by his will either. What was happening?

 

Where did the voice come from?

 

He searched to his right and left only to avail. There was no one there besides him and the male in black. His head moved again when the other was moving slightly but never turning to face him. The other male moved his head slightly to the side, watching him over the broad shoulder. The lips moving,

 

 

“Don’t…”

 

 

What? Don’t what? What was he talking about? Why he was still can’t talk right now, this was getting under his skin already.

 

He heard soft splashes in front him.

 

The other male was walking away from him.

 

His legs moved not by his will for the second time, running to chase the male in black.

 

 

Pant.

 

Pant.

 

Pant.

 

 

It couldn’t be. Where…he was right there…in front of him.

 

Where was the male in black? No, wait…where was himself exactly anyway? This place, he had seen it somewhere in one of his dreams. But never like this.

He was still running in a straight line, throughout the scene. Now that he thought of it, maybe he was dreaming. He wished he could pinch himself if only he could move by his own command. But what was more important was he could still control his mind. Who knew something bad and ugly would come across him in his own dream.

He never stopped running. His feet were starting to feel sore, his throat was itchy and hot, his body felt stick with sweat, and his lungs felt like they were on fire.

 

 

“Yifan…”

 

 

Wait…wait! Stop! I beg you!

 

His legs stopped running as he begged. As if they had ears to obey his plead. He searched his surrounding, trying to find the source of that soft and small voice rang in his ears. His eyes scanned the whole area of the endless landscape, only to sigh in despair when he found no living creature beside him there. He was so sure he heard that small voice. He was unfamiliar with it but at the same time it felt…longing…?

He balled his fists slowly, letting his frustration transferred into them. His chest heaving up and down as he tried to regain oxygen back into his lungs. A drop of sweat fell from his unruly blonde hair, down to the water below him. He watched his reflection broke by the ripple slowly. He closed his eyes, calming his mind and heart down for his sanity sake. This was just a dream, he reminded himself.

As he opened his eyes, he looked up into the orange and purplish sky above, still panting greatly. Unconsciously his hand slowly crept toward his chest, where his necklace hung snugly below the collarbone, and gripped the round object hung between the fine silver chains. He sighed again and looked down on the cool object in his hand. The only reminder of his late couple. The light in his eyes slightly turned dim, his chest felt light and his eyes felt heavy.

 

As his eyelids almost closed, a pair of hands slowly appeared beside his waist and wrapped his stomach. His eyes snapped open in surprise and fear.

 

These arms…why do I feel…

 

“Yifan…”

 

His dark brown eyes widened. That voice…

 

“Yifan…Yifan, please…”

 

The unfamiliar voice whisper pleadingly into his back. He gasped softly as he finally realized someone was hugging him from behind. He tried to look back but the hands tighten their hold around his stomach and waist, preventing him to do so.

 

“No, Yifan. I…i want you to look at me,”

 

His brows furrowed in confusion, wasn’t he was about to do that?

 

“I want you to look at me,”

 

What do you mean? Look at…who?

 

“I want−”

 

A choked sob fell into his ears, he was confused dearly. What was really happening? What did he do wrong? Why this person was crying?

 

“What?”

 

There. Finally he gained his control back.

 

“W-what did you say?” he said groggily. He heard the person said something to him but he didn’t quiet catch it.

 

Silence and soft cries were what welcomed him beneath the still sunset. The silence for him was awkward and made him stomach feel funny. He could feel the person’s tears dropped onto his shirt and emerged into his skin.

 

But through the awkward silence and the pain-filled soft cries of the person behind him, he strangely felt warm and…right.

 

 

…a chance…

 

 

His instinct told him that the person was someone important in his life. It couldn’t be Jongin as much as the fact was true that his son was very important in his life. But Jongin was not this tall and big as he remembered. And Jongin was not a child who easily cried and more overly…Jongin never called him by his name as he was his son.

 

So…who was this person? Hugging him like a long lost lover.

 

Wait.

 

Could this person be…

 

“I just want a chance,”

 

Just as fast as the whisper came, he felt himself falling into soothing darkness. The last thing he remembered was the person’s touch lingered on his body.

 

 

 

~

 

 

“A…! …Appa! Appa! Wake wake!”

 

He huffed when something heavy weighted itself on top of his chest. He opened his eyes groggily and croaked,

 

“W-wha…Jonginnie?”

 

His vision somehow blurred, he didn’t know why. He tried to move his hands but it felt sluggish on his sides and stomach. He felt small hands pumped their fists on his chest and then a gentle tap on his lips almost woke him fully from his slumber.

 

“Appa~ You promised you will teach me English,”

 

Did he?

 

Oh, of course. He did promise his son that last night. How could he forget?

 

What time is it now anyway? It feels chilly, he thought.

 

“Jongin, baby, do you know what time is it now?”

 

He watched his beloved child squinted his eyes to adjust them in the darkness from blurry and heavy eyes. A few seconds fell and he still hadn’t received any confirmation from the younger.

 

“Baby?” he whispered.

 

“Umm..it reads S and 37…?”

 

‘S’ ?

 

He looked to his side, wondering what did Jongin read on the digital clock on top of his coffee table.

 

Oh.

 

It was 5:37

 

How come Jongin still confused with the numbers and letters? He needed to teach the younger on Math also on alphabets as well.

 

“Jongin, it says 5. Not ‘S’,”

 

He saw the younger slid off of his chest and sat between his arm and body while he leaned his small body fully on his father’s side.

 

“But it looks like an ‘S’, Appa”

 

“Hmm…Guess we have to learn more about alphabets and numbers, little guy”

 

He closed his eyes and rubbed his face when he felt Jongin leaned down to put his little head on top of his collarbone. He felt the top of his son’s head rubbed against him as the younger nodded twice.

 

“Will there be pretty boxes?”

 

He smiled when the innocent statement was uttered. He would never get tired of living his life with this bundle of happiness of his named Jongin. Oh what a perfect gift Jongin was to him in his life.

 

“Yes, Jongin. But only two this time,”

 

He heard his son whined cutely and the small face popped in his vision. Those small hands propped on his broad shoulder and his own big hand settled on the younger’s small back to prevent falling.

 

“Waeyo~? You used to give me so much pretty boxes,”

 

He chuckled tiredly. Well it was still early in the morning and he just woke up not a minute ago. He the crown of Jongin’s head lovingly, still chuckling.

 

“Yes, but I’m afraid I’m running out of boxes and gifts for you right now. And it’s ‘many’ Jongin, not ‘much’,”

 

His chuckles never stopped when the adorable child pouted in such a cute and funny way. In fact, he was now smiling widely at the little one.

 

“But I want pretty boxes with chocolates in them, Appa~”

 

“I’m sorry Jonginnie, but you have to be patient,” he said sternly but gently.

 

He knew when Jongin started to whine like that, the child would continue like that until he cried himself to sleep and the result after the little one wake up would not be very nice with all the grumpy face. Plus the child needed to learn discipline.

 

Fortunately, Jongin was never a hard child to be disciplined. He obeyed almost instantly when he started to use that voice. He hoped this attitude would stay until the child transformed into a teenager and adult.

And sadly, he had to watch the child’s eyes turned sad. Jongin laid his head beneath his chin now, tucked comfortably as the younger mumbled a soft ‘okay’ as an agreement.

 

He sighed as his eyes stared at the white ceiling of his room. He absentmindedly Jongin’s small back slowly and soothingly. His mind was seeping back into his dream that was still crystal clear to him. So it really was a dream, he thought. He was relieved by that thought, but on the other side he felt something was off too.

 

His thick brows furrowed slightly as he tried to recall the voice in his dream.

 

 

“I just want a chance,”

 

 

What did the person meant by that? A chance? For what?

 

And why did it felt so right for him in the person’s arms. Why did it felt like…he belonged there.

Unconsciously, his hand was wandering blindly trying to find the cool object which was laying right beside his neck on the bed now. He traced the edge of the round thing softly with the tip of his finger. It had been two years now since Junmyeon’s dissapereance. From this room, from their house, from his life, from their child…, from him.

He struggled for months, tried to find his other half around Seoul. He still was until now, but not as frequently as last year as he remembered he still had a child. A child who still need his parents by his side to hold on. How could he forget about Jongin that time was still a wonder for him. Usually, the child would always come first in his mind. But he guessed, Junmyeon was still holding the first place in his heart.

It was all thanks to his best friend too, Chanyeol. For reminding him that he was a father with a small child at his home. He may have been very desperate to find his other half, but then he remembered the letter which Junmyeon left for him.

 

 

Take care of Jongin

 

 

Yes, he had to take care of Jongin. Their son, even though they were not related by blood, Jongin was still their very precious bundle of light for the both of him and Junmyeon.

 

And so, with a heavy heart, he left the idea of searching of Junmyeon. Instead, he waited for the other to come home with his usual angelic smile and adorable giggle as he was welcomed by him and their bouncing child.

 

Yes. He held on to that dearly.

 

But, as time kept running, he felt like…all of this…would end to nothing.

 

His brain told him that Junmyeon would never come back, but his heart still yearning for the minimum fact it would happen. He believed that so.

 

But now? Why…he was slowly starting to believe what his mind told him.

 

“Appa…”

 

The soft and almost unheard whisper succeeded in bringing him back to his senses. He blinked down to the top of Jongin’s black and soft hair.

 

“What is it, baby?”

 

“Were you thinking about Umma?”

 

His breath hitched. How could Jongin find it out?

 

“You always think about Umma when you’re quiet like this. And…”

 

He felt Jongin’s hand settled itself upon his chest, where his heart laid.

 

“…your heart feels funny,”

 

Hence the innocent statement, those words stabbed him right into his throbbing organ.

 

“…Jongin,”

 

He saw his son looked up to him and finally those small hands found their way to his cheeks, holding his face while those brown eyes scanned his face.

 

“Appa…” he watched the younger’s lips uttered his name and Jongin’s face turned sad suddenly.

 

He blinked several times, confused of what made the younger sad so suddenly.

 

Then those small fingers crawled to his eyes and rubbed away his tears.

 

Wait…

 

…tears?

 

“Appa, please don’t cry again…”

 

His heart throbbed in a painful way when the child comforted him with his own way.

 

Had he been crying when he thought about Junmyeon?

 

“I don’t want Appa to cry again. I−”

 

He then noticed Jongin’s tears were shed from those beautiful and innocent eyes. He felt guilty for making his son cried.

 

“Oh, Jongin…”

 

He sighed softly as he brought the child into his chest, cradling him in his arms, enveloping him with warmth like he would always do when Jongin cried. He hushed the child by whispering soothingly in Jongin’s ear as he sat himself up. He rocked them both back and forth while Jongin wrapped his small arms around his neck and his small legs were placed beside his waist.

 

“I−I don’t w-want Appa to be sad− again,” the child muttered into his neck as he hiccupped here and there.

 

“Jongin…oh, Baby… I’m sorry. I’m sorry for making you cry. Ssh, don’t cry…don’t cry,”

 

He coaxed the younger to stop crying as he willed himself to be strong. He remembered he promised his son that he would never cry again. He remembered Jongin suddenly cried for him when the younger saw him cried as he read at Junmyeon’s short letter again. The child ran to him and hugged him tightly on his legs to comfort him.

 

Funny, he was supposed to be the one who comforted the child. But somehow, Jongin was way more mature and strong than him in times like that. The child was sad, very very sad in fact, with Junmyeon’s dissapereance. But the kid was strong and he rarely seen him crying when he remembered his mother figure. Jongin sometimes would hug him suddenly and confessed to him that he missed Junmyeon dearly like he did. It was a very rare moment for him as he never saw Jongin cried for Junmyeon after that day when the mother disappeared. Maybe, somehow Jongin understand the situation around him without he had to explain it to him.

He felt grateful for that, for he didn’t need to lie to Jongin that his mother just was on vacation. Or he was with his grandparents or every possibility that could happen. But on the other side, he felt pity for the boy. Jongin was mature for a child at his age, it was not normal if people may say. He had matured before his age did.

 

He kissed Jongin’s head lovingly and tucked it beneath his chin while he still rocked them. He leaned his back on the headboard and pulled his warm blanket around them, mostly covering his legs and Jongin’s body.

Slowly, he felt the younger’s cries subsided until he heard soft breathing on his collarbone. He gently lay down on his back and righted the pillows beneath his head. He sighed in relief when Jongin didn’t stirred.

Maybe they need some more sleep. Luckily, today was Saturday and Jongin’s school was on holiday every Saturday and Sunday.

He felt his eyes felt heavy and his breaths fell into a calm breathing. He tightened his embrace around Jongin’s small body and slowly, sleep overcame him as well into a dreamless one.

 

The ring on his necklace, which was now laid on his shoulder, somehow glinted in a warm and comforting way. Accompanying the two in their dreamless sleep.

 

 

 

 

 

 


A/N : Oh gosh, I never expect this story would get this much subscribers OAO I'm so happy TTwTT thank you guys!

I'm sorry for the wait, here is chapter 1 for you all. I hope this will worth your while a bit ;)

Oh, right. Yifan's hair is more or less like this

 

I don't know, it fits him for his 'father figure' somehow. Gentle, calm yet stern and strong. Very handsome isn't he?

 

Oh ignore me and my daydreaming == I wished I was Kris' friends, but never (almost never) I've wanting him to be my husband or such. :/

Hmm, I don't know. I just want to be his close friend or someone important to him,... but I guess yeah.. I'm just not ready to commit myself in a relationship as I'm not ready to be tied by it. I still want to be free :p

 

Gah! Seriously, why am I chit-chatting in here. I'm sorry! *bow*

Again, thank you! <3 Oh, and sorry for typos and grammatical errors. Do tell me if you find them ;)

 

 

Christian_Wu