06.

A Ray Of Sunshine
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The things we don’t know and don’t understand.

 

She had never called him when he was in school, she didn’t like being a burden to him. Thus, when he saw the contact ‘Mum ♥’ flashing on his screen, he sensed something was wrong instantly.

“Junhong-ah,” the lady on the line whispered weakly, as if it was excruciating to even mutter.

The way Junhong’s name rolled off his mother’s tongue made his heart ache. It had the same effect when she used to soothe him to sleep; and whenever she assured him that everything was okay when he was younger.

“Umma, what happened?”

He hollered into the phone, neglecting the fact that he was in the middle of a class. By then, his classmates had turned their attentions to him as he stood up abruptly and pushed his desk away. He jumped on his feet and stormed out apprehensively. From behind, his teacher barked at him aggressively to come back but he didn’t give a at that moment.

“I’m sorry for calling during class but he came,” she inhaled loudly and Junhong could just picture his frail mother hiding behind the counter, shivering in fear.

“He told me that he’d be back for the money,” she paused to catch her breath, “For us.”

“,” Junhong hissed under his breath, eyebrows furrowed. “Stay where you are—I’m coming.”

He sped along the empty hallway on the verge of tears, with erratic heartbeats. He clutched onto the hem of his shirt, palpitating.

He was so afraid.

Once he reached the fences, he planned to jump over for an escapade. But before he could carry on, there was an objection. “No, it’s okay. You stay in school and study.”

“Umma—”

“No, Junhong. I can take care of myself.”

“! I can’t let him hurt you!”

“Sssh, Junhong-ah, it’s okay.”

It’s okay, it’s okay, everything’s all right.

Lies.

“It’s okay,” it sounded like she was trying to convince herself.

He was no longer a kid. Those comforting words were never true.

Nothing would be okay if one didn’t do something about it.

Everything was not all right. Nothing was okay. Everything was so ing wrong; a mistake.  

 

Junhong heaved a dejected sigh, trapped. “Lock both doors. I don’t care if there are customers. You’re closed for the day. Don’t go anywhere till I come for you when school ends.”

 

However, school wasn’t even going to end soon and he couldn’t put his heart to ease while waiting. He felt confined, suffocated and scared. What if something happened to his mother? He would never forgive himself.

Junhong hung his head low and closed his eyes. The school bell rung, indicating his lunch period but he remained on the bench, having no strength to move away or shun from the students’ stares.

He remained in the aded darkness until he heard a familiar voice. Sunshine captured him right away when he sneaked a glimpse at whoever that person was.

Kim Jiwoo.

She was on the phone and Junhong could recognize that voice anywhere.

Recalling the previous incident, he didn’t know if she wanted to talk to him. The last time he checked, she got angry with him though he didn’t do .  

 

“Jiwoo.”

 

Just it. Junhong didn’t care about her hostility, he needed some company. He just knew Jiwoo was not the type to judge him for looking so vulnerable or for being so tentative with his emotions.

“Stay with me,” sincerity and hidden desperation were audible in Junhong's tone.

He looked wrecked; his hair was dishevelled, his blouse was un-tucked, his tie was loose, his self-confidence that he carried was little. 

He wasn’t Zelo. He was himself, Choi Junhong.

There was hesitance but she complied, considering that she owed him. Truthfully, she didn't know what to do to salvage the situation or make him feel better so she sat beside him quietly. 

It was awkward but it couldn't be helped. Jiwoo wasn’t a really expressive person so comforting someone was something she wasn’t good at doing.

Moreover, it was Junhong. She didn't know if he was considered a friend yet. The line was blurred. He was a friend to her but not that Jungkook allowed, not that they had ever confirmed their friendship.

Be it friend or not, Jiwoo did not like seeing Junhong woebegone. She rather a cocky lad than a depressed punk.   

“I won't ask you if you're all right or what happened but yeah,” Jiwoo reached out hesitantly and patted on his shoulder twice awkwardly. “I'll stay here.” 

Her walking away from him was the last thing he wanted. He enjoyed her presence, her comforting presence without much words, without false

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter