04.

A Ray Of Sunshine
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Do what makes you happy.

Jungkook flung his shoe bag over his shoulders and heaved an exhausted sigh. He needed ice cream as replenishment. Fishing for his phone in his bag, a message from Eunbyul caught his attention and his eyes widened in size.

 

I told you Zelo likes her!! He came during free period and dragged her out… You should’ve been there! ㅠㅠ

 

He cursed loudly to nobody in particular and dialled Jiwoo’s number instantly. She picked up at the third ring.

But he didn’t know how to bring it up.  

“Hey Cookie, I was about to text you! Want to go on another adventure after I visit my dad?”

He ignored her question coldly and hissed, “What happened during free period?”

There was unwise hesitance hung in the air—he sensed it instantly. In his mind, he could imagine her biting her lips in panic. He wanted her to be straight honest with him like always but her holding back made him frantic.

In the little crevice of his heart, he knew that she would speak the truth.

“Nothing.”

She coughed, the thick falseness in the atmosphere was sufficient to suffocate him.  “Nothing happened.” It sounded like she was convincing herself. “So, you coming or what?”

 

Jungkook was wrong.

 

He actually wanted to call her up for ice cream and waffles—her favourites. In the end, he didn’t feel like it anymore nor did he want to see her.

“No,” and he hung up for the first time without saying goodbye. There was guilt but it didn’t consume him entirely. All he wanted to do was to go home, sleep his fatigue away and erase her off his mind—but that was doing the impossible.

 

 

Jungkook was being strange—Jiwoo thought she had him all figured out because she had known him for all her life but she was absolutely wrong. That boy was unpredictable.

Jiwoo didn’t know why she lied to him either. She just didn’t feel like telling the truth. Junhong wasn’t that important.

Jungkook couldn’t be mad, right?

It was okay, she could take care of herself just fine. It was Taehyung who forced Jungkook to tag along on her photography adventures. She had gone by herself before but Taehyung thought it was just 'not safe'.

 

 

The hospital was her first stop—to check on her father. She really hoped that she could do something to help him recover—something simple was fine. She just wanted him to be okay.

He looked better, healthier than before and Jiwoo was relieved. Her mother even brought him down to the park to have some air—he still sat on a wheelchair though.

Jiwoo knew that one day, her father would be able to walk properly again—there was a glint of hope in her. 

 

✡ 

Her sixth adventure would be to the beach. She wanted to capture the sun disappear beyond the horizon before night arrived.

Jungkook had been accompanying her for the adventures and she was already used to having his company. There was once when he rode his skateboard as she took photographs. She couldn't help but miss his presence around—somebody to talk to. Maybe she would buy him ice cream on her way home to ease his fatigue. To make up to him.

 

She heard that the sunset at that beach was mesmerizing so she wanted to check it out for herself. It was a long ride there—an hour’s journey. She plugged in her earpieces and watched the world past by as music wafted through.

She loved bus rides because they were her solitude time. But she somewhat hated being unoccupied because melancholy thoughts would penetrate her.

And that was why she kind of liked it when Jungkook was with her because his presence was able to bury the forlorn thoughts.

 

Since he wasn’t here, she decided to take photographs of the outside world. The shutter clicked and people turned their heads to the click. But Jiwoo continued to capture the moments, ignoring to the weird stares that she had earned.

 

Who cares about what others think when you're chasing for your own happiness? 

She was happy when she took photographs.

There was no reason for her to stop.

 

 

 

The beauty live in front of her was a definite eye-opener. She had managed to find her way to the beach. For her past adventures, she had lost her way twice and that left Jungkook really frustrated.

“You’re an idiot. Why are you even leading the way? Give me your phone,” he chided at her and snatched her phone for the digital map.

But the gist of an adventure was to explore—stumble upon new things and endear in amazement. There would be some things he would never understand.

She settled herself on the sand, resting her camera on her lap. The photo-taking came to a pause as she needed to admire the scenery. It was too ethereal.

A divine smile played on her lips because sometimes life was so simple. It was so easy to craft a smile after witnessing something so beautiful.

Happiness was something anyone could have if they took what they were given with two hands and a grateful heart.

 

Happiness meant eating a cup of instant ramen after a hard day’s work; having someone buy you ice cream when you’re sad; seeing someone you love smile; seeing someone you haven’t seen for so long again; breathing.

 

People always want more than what they have because they can have more. They will never be satisfied with what they have. Sometimes, the way to be happy is to actually be happy with what we already have.

Seeking for happiness

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter