05.

A Ray Of Sunshine
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Life is a ride. Choose your destination.

The ticking time reeked of neglect and Jiwoo had already missed her curfew by an hour. Time seriously flies what you’re having fun. She had spent a lot of time cheering Jungkook up. She was glad that he was better.

Taehyung on the other hand sat by the doorstep outside their house and tapped his foot on the asphalt in the cold, teeth chattering. But he was adamant and refused to enter the house until she returned home. That girl made him worry so much. She wasn’t even picking up his calls.

 

“Damn, I need to go now,” Jiwoo fretted, eyeing her buzzing phone. Taehyung had been calling for the nth time.

Before she knew it, she found herself on Jungkook's motorbike, her fingers gripping onto his sweater that he had thrown on.

“Hyung’s mad?” He turned and searched for her eyes but she hushed him, chiding him to save the talking and speed up. He could only roll his eyes and scoff at her bluntness.

He smirked when an idea popped into his mind. Complying with her order, he sped as they brushed through the empty highway.

“Hold on, princess.” 
A gasp of shock almost escaped the edges of Jiwoo’s lips but she stifled it in.

Though it wasn’t her first time riding with him, she was sure taken aback with that speed he was going at. Jiwoo instinctively flung her arms around his waist firmly when he stepped on the accelerator.

Jungkook liked the thrill, the cool air that breezed past and the fact that they were so intimate, considering how he could feel her heartbeat as she leaned on his back.

He liked it.

No.

He loved it. Having her so close to him sent electricity coursing through his veins.
 

He felt alive. 

“Not so fast, !” She warned him but her voice was merely a stern whisper. Hitting his back, she hissed at him to slow down.

“Shut it, I'm saving your .” 
And that had completely shut her up.


 

☼     
 

 

After hopping down from Jungkook’s bike, she struggled to get the helmet off. On the periphery, she spotted Taehyung retreat into the house. Damn was he ing pissed. She pushed away the nagging feeling of guilt.

Jungkook laughed, witnessing the adorable sight of Jiwoo. “Come here, your head’s too big that’s why. Looks like you’re in for some scolding tonight,” he eased it off her, his lips toying with a smirk. She cursed at him.

“Thanks for coming tonight. I'm better now. You're like magic or something,” he teased but he was sure she had some magic on him. She really did.

“Go get sleep. Don't grow fat overnight from eating too much ice cream.”

A smile grew on her face and her eyebrows rose teasingly. Teasing him was something she liked to do since a child because he was that easy to pick on.

“Shut up and get inside now. Hyung’s freaking pissed.” 
“I know,” she replied casually, still standing there with no trance of anxiety.

“Want me to go in with you? I’ll talk to him,” he spoke with much maturity, his voice laced with such seriousness. He didn’t have to take responsibility but Jiwoo felt touched that he had offered. The baby Jungkook that she knew wasn’t like that. She smiled, her best friend was growing up. 

“Nah―go home safely okay? I’ll call you if Taehyung decides to lock me in my room forever.”

“Goodnight then, see you,” he shrugged with a resplendent smile as he put on his helmet.

“Goodnight, Cookie,” she whispered and watched his silhouette decrease in size.

 

 

 

Jiwoo tip-toed into the house, movements silent and swift. She closed the door gently and the deafening silence greeted her, tension thick in the air.

Taehyung stood sternly in front of her and shot daggers at her. He was not pleased. Glowering at her, his eyes fumed. “You went to Jungkook's house?” 

 

She wouldn’t know how worried he was. She wouldn’t know anything. She was too carefree to think about things like that.

 

“Yeah, he was tired after dance so I bought him ice cream.” 

“He wasn’t with you at the beach?” 

“No... I went myself. He needed rest,” she lied.

Taehyung didn’t need to know about the blonde punk.

He let out a gloomy sigh, the anxiety in his voice was still evident. She felt like a horrible sister. “I’m sorry, I’ll be on time next time…” She sulked, her lips forming into a slight pout.

“Look Jiwoo, I know you two are close and all but you've got to remember that he is a boy. He is growing up―he's no longer a kid. It's not safe being in his room so late. It's not that I don't trust the two of you but you never know what might happen. He might suddenly―”

What…?

“Oppa!” She spat at him loudly, disconcerted by what Taehyung had even dared to think. “He's my best friend! I know he isn’t like that.”

“When a boy is going through this stage, you know nothing about what he’s actually thinking. Just be careful. I'm saying this because I know.”

 


 


A car settled in the driveway and the engine came to a halt. Jiwoo's mother had returned from work―since morning till eight at night at the supermarket.

Jiwoo continued to stare at her textbook, her mind in a clutter. She was troubled with uncanny thoughts. She wondered what Taehyung had meant the day before.

Taehyung made her feel doubtful, like she didn't know who Jungkook was after all. He was her best friend for Pete's sake. She knew him, inside out.

 

Looking at the photographs she had taken, Jiwoo's lips curled into the slightest beam. Her thoughts came to a halt when a picture of Junhong appeared. It was the only one she took of him.

There was a knock on her door, interrupting her daydream to develop into some thinking session. Her mother appeared at her door with a box of donuts. Before she could even question, her mother clarified, “They offered me.”

Jiwoo nodded and took a bite and the taste lingered in her cavern. It tasted so good. It wasn’t everyday that she could have the luxury of eating such treats. Her family was really struggling with finance and they were

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter