An Astounding Proclamation.

He May Not Be Him
Please log in to read the full chapter

nine. 

Reclining back into her swivel chair, Hyorin took a sharp intake of breath as she opened her eyes and refocused on the worried expression etched onto her best friends' faces, "Lee Donghae is an angel, I swear. He seriously made me forget all about that embarrassing confession dealing with Kyuhyun." Smiling to herself, she then added, "I owe him big time actually."

Soyu was the first to react as she tossed a piece of wrapped chocolate over, "I'm so sorry that it turned out that way Hyorin." The pout on her face didn't go unnoticed by Hyorin but she decided it was best to not point it out now. Bora had kept quiet the entire conversation, having been the one to witness the entire ordeal the night before and wanting no part in it. Yes, she had once upon a time felt guilty for forcing a hook-up on them but she couldn't allow herself to feel terrible this time; she absolutely had nothing to do with it and that's how Bora wanted to keep it. 

Whereas Dasom felt completely upset and angry for her sister from another mister having always liked Kyuhyun as a colleague and somewhat as a human being. There was no doubt in her mind that she still likes him and had even hoped that the third time would be the charm. It just doesn't make sense how he keeps denying Hyorin especially since this time, she's the one who had unwillingly fallen for him. Also with being older, Dasom had hoped that Kyuhyun had had the time to mature and see Hyorin in a different light. Unfortunately, the rejection from last night put a total halt to all of the hopes Dasom had saved for them.

Sitting straight up in the chair, Dasom held up her hand as she placed the question that had been buzzing in her mind since the mention of this guy's name, "Hyorin, who is Lee Donghae?"

"I figured one of you would ask," Soyu interjected as she reached for her computer screen and turned it around for the rest to see. Pointing to the very top where a black and white picture was pasted, Soyu began to explain, "this man is Lee Donghae." Underneath his picture laid his whole profile with his birth information included and where he currently resided in the city.

"Wow, he's handsome." The youngest exclaimed as she patted her pinking cheeks.

"But we are just friends," Hyorin reminded as she settled back into her seat once again. As the other two gushed over the computer screen, Hyorin couldn't help but notice Bora's sullen expression. Why was it that her most hyper friend was in such a grouchy mood of all days?

And as if that Lee Donghae character had secret psychic abilities, he then waltzed in through the opened door and began to greet everyone as Soyu whipped her screen back around to face her. Lastly, he turned to Hyorin and beamed her a mega-watt smile as he shoved his bangs from out his face, "you're looking rather dashing today, Miss Kim."

"Thanks Donghae."

"Hi," Dasom spoke as she did a simple wave of her hand. "I'm Kim Dasom. I heard you took great care of my best friend last night and I have to say I'm very grateful. I hadn't a clue what had taken place and if I had, I wouldn't have left you to deal with such a thing."

"It's really no problem, I like Hyorin so I didn't mind it." He assured as he turned his head to look over at Hyorin and Soyu, "I had actually came over to ask if Hyorin and Jihyun would  like to accompany me to lunch with a couple other co-workers."

"Donghae, it's Soyu," the taller woman nagged. "For the millionth time, please call me by the name I tell you to."

"But Jihyun is such a beautiful name," he answered with wide eyes but before Soyu could retort with her sharp tongue and an unwelcome slap could to his forehead, Hyorin stood to her feet.

"You'd like to invite us to lunch, you say?"

"Well yes and your friends are welcomed to come if they please," Donghae repeated as his eyes traveled over each person present.

"Actually, Dasom has class in an hour and since her school is across town, I think it'd be best if we left now. So thank you for the offer Mr. Lee, but no thank you. At least not today," Bora explained as she snatched up her purse and key ring.

"I see."

"Again, sorry but we must leave now." Bora re-instated as she linked arms with Dasom while dragging her towards the door, "call you later Hyorin. See you soon Soyu." 

When the door had closed and the three were left alone, Soyu was the first to speak up once again as she brushed the lint from her shirt, "I'm actually having lunch with Cho Kyuhyun, the head of our department."

"Well that's perfect then because he is one of the men who'd asked me to join." Donghae informed as he turned to the other women, "so will you join us as well?"

"Hyorin isn't feeling her best today—" Soyu began when Hyorin cut in and shook her head towards Soyu. It was one thing to deny an invitation but Donghae's extremely intelligent—she had learned that with the conversations they had shared the night before—so with one wrong move and out of place movement, he would no doubt figure out it had been Kyuhyun who had rejected her in the end.

"The only reason I'm not feeling so well is because I haven't eaten yet." Hyorin countered back as she sent a reassuring simper towards her friend, "I'll definitely join."

 

 

Seated at the table at the center of the private dining room, Kyuhyun was busy listening to the praises of Jay and his right hand lady, Jessica. It was apparent to him that even though Jay had enjoyed himself immensely, Jessica felt a bit different about it. What could it have been that soured her night? Kyuhyun couldn't guess but he had an inkling that it had to do with Go Woori. 

"Your party was so nice," Jay complimented as he patted his shoulder with glee. "But seriously, what is taking Donghae so long?"

"I'm still surprised you are even acquainted with him." Jessica admitted as she tilted her head in his direction, "it's a small world after all."

"I've known him for years but the fact that I'm now about to marry his ex makes me feel a bit odd," Jay concluded as he narrowed his eyes towards the woman seated beside him.

"But you've got me now so."

"That's true," Jay replied as he leaned in to lock lips with hers but as the kiss progressed and limbs began to tangle, Kyuhyun decided it was best to end things now before it could end up all over the surface of the table. 

"Hello, single guy here." He raised his hand pathetically as the two broke apart and sent him an apologetic look of their own, "don't worry about it. I just thought I'd be that helpful friend."

"Well you know, you could be the lips off of someone who you can call your own if you weren't busy denying them chances." Jessica recalled as she brushed her loose hairs back into place.

"Well if I deny them a chance then they're probably not the right person for me," he shot back as she glowered up at him. Drumming his fingers against the table top, Jay cleared his throat as he quizzed about what they were going on about. Jessica only shook her head as she steered her attention towards the three figures approaching their table.

"Sorry we're late," Donghae blurted out as he escorted Soyu and Hyorin to the empty chairs. "Hope you guys don't mind me inviting an extra person but she hasn't eaten either so I don't see the issue."

"You didn't tell me you had invited Donghae to lunch!" Soyu hollered out as she jabbed her index finger in the doe-eyed man's direction.

"It was a spur of the moment thing," Kyuhyun muttered under his breath before speaking a bit louder for the others to hear. "I thought it'll make for a great lunch since we all know each other in one way or another." A lunch consisting of exes, friends and potential lovers. Don't let it get to you, he coaxed himself into relaxation. They're just friends anyways, "hello Miss Kim." 

"Hello Mr. Cho," she rushed the greeting as she focused her attention on Jay and Jessica who were watching her with curious eyes of their own. "You guys look great."

The lunch had carried on rather smoothly with Donghae being placed beside Hyorin the entire duration of their visit although Kyuhyun found himself wanting to scream out in agitation. There were times when everyone else was engrossed in a conversation where he couldn't find the right moment to add his piece so he would just sit there quietly. Some moments he found himself glaring at Donghae as he whispered something in Hyorin's ear and she would laugh obnoxiously about it after. Whatever was so damned funny, Kyunhyun wanted to know about it and why it was making Hyorin lose half her marbles. 

The feisty woman he was used to was now a laughing mess and as much as he wanted to admit she was more attractive when laughing, his pride wouldn't allow him it. Especially since it wasn't him making her laugh, it was that Lee Donghae guy.

"Donghae," Jessica called out as she tucked her pin-straight hair behind her ear. "Are you really interested in taking my dear friend Hyorin out on a date?"

"As much as I'd like to, I don't want to rush our friendship," he answered earnestly.

"Friends can go out on dates too." Jay chimed in as he laced fingers with his woman, "I think Jessica meant when will you guys actually hang out with one another outside of work?"

"Donghae's doing this for my benefit although he's being a bit uptight about it." Hyorin jested as sh

Please log in to read the full chapter