Falling, Literally.

He May Not Be Him
Please log in to read the full chapter
one : three years p r i o r

"You have to think this guy is attractive in some way, shape, size or form." Bora exclaimed as she moved aside so the younger woman could get a clear view of the computer screen. The three best friends had been at this male-browsing game for the last hour and a half and although at first, it had been fun it later became tedious and slightly exhausting. Shaking her head as she gazed at the image before her, Hyorin made a face, "really?"

"He's not all that cute." She grumbled as she focused on the economics textbook in her lap.

Too agitated to continue, the latter exhaled as she clicked off the social networking website, "I give up on this. It's kind of a lost cause."

"I told you eonni," Dasom the youngest spoke up as she thumbed her way through a magazine, "trying to set Hyorin up on a date is like putting yourself in a death match."

"I think her expectations are just higher than I expected, that's all." Bora retaliated, not wanting to admit defeat.

"I don't have high expectations. It's just hard to find someone that compares, that's all."

"And that's what high standards are," Dasom pointed out as she began to count each point  she made with her fingers, "Jay is the total package. Great smile. Great body. He's so hot, it's obvious as to why she's having a hard time hooking you up."

"Wait, I think I've got someone!" as the eldest began to hack at her keyboard, the other two exchanged questioning looks, confused as to what was taking place. Suddenly a black and white picture of a man smiling into the camera enveloped the screen, "what about him?"

"Oh him, he's smart and cute." Dasom stated as she nodded her head in approval.

"He looks boring."

"But I know him personally, he's not boring at all. He's far from, I can show you, you know!" 

"How would you know a guy like him?" 

"Class, of course." Dasom shrugged as if it was the most obvious explanation in the world.

"That's right, don't you have an English literature class with him?"

"Yes I do and personally, I think you should meet him Hyo. Just for fun, it wouldn't hurt."

Sighing, Hyorin gave in as she continued staring at the so-called geek's photo, "sure, why not." He may not be like Jaebum, but a meeting's never killed anyone.

 

Hyorin followed behind as she accompanied Bora through the inner court yard of their university as they made their way to the music hall. Relief washed over her as soon as the duo came to a halt in front of a closed off classroom; bringing her index finger up to her lips, Bora blew air between her lips as a warning sign for the latter to keep quiet as possible. Once she was sure Hyorin got the message, she pointed upwards to a small incased window in the door. Unfortunately, Hyorin was what some people liked to call 'vertically challenged' and that fault alone called for a lot more effort in hoisting herself up so her view was no longer hindered. 

After the umpteenth attempt, she was finally able to peer inside what she thought was a classroom whilst standing on the tips of her feet. To her surprise, there were small groups scattered about the well polished studio; while one group sat at the front, stretching another remained at the back, chattering amongst themselves. It didn't take long for Hyorin to process that the group in the back was made up of men who she really didn't recognize.

"What's wrong?"

"I don't know what I'm looking for. I don't even know why we are here."

"You don't see him?" 

Him? Oh , I didn't realize this soon, "um, see who?"

"The guy that we talked about."

"I've only seen one picture of him, how am I supposed to recognize him? People edit their pictures to crazy extents nowadays."

"Oh hush," Bora scolded as she pointed to a guy in a pair of loose gray sweats and an oversized red t-shirt, "that's him. He's right there in front of your eyes, girl." Soon after, Hyorin's eyes landed on the physique that was very much sought after by her friends, for your sake unfortunately. She thought bitterly as she watched the no-name guy bend over. Suddenly, a shorter guy in a rather tacky ensemble of silver, black and red began clapping excessively as the rest of the men stood up straight and soon followed suit.

"Looks like warm-ups are over, we should go in now."

"What, why?"

"Because then you can get a closer look for yourself."

"That's nice and all but I'm not interested, remember?"

"Gosh, you really are stuck on Jay."

"Like I've said before and I'll say it again, 'no one can ever replace J—" and without allowing her friend to continue with her biased opinion, Bora snapped her fingers around Hyorin's wrist and yanked her into the studio. As the door slammed shut behind them, every person in the class looked up with confused expressions.

"Ah sorry to interrupt, but I forgot my water canteen."

"I guess it's fine since it's you. I won't allow just anyone to interrupt my class and get away with it." The instructor replied as he waved for the people to get into their starter positions. Taking that as a sign to do just as she claimed she was there for, Bora took off towards a table with backpacks while Hyorin stayed close on her heels. As she scanned the table, taking her time on purpose for her friend's sake, Bora was able to spot the yellow canteen that stuck out like a sore thumb under a stack of text books. The younger's eyebrow quirked upwards as she too, spotted the missing item, so she really did forget it.

"Hyorin, I did all this just for you." She murmured as she scooted the books aside.

"Did what?"

"I forgot this," dangling the canteen from her finger, she winked before

Please log in to read the full chapter