route no. 5

The Perks of Wanderlust

 

"This road trip is definitely not what I imagined it to be." Chanyeol mumbled quietly, rubbing the back of his neck nervously as he watched Baekhyun sigh in distress. It was only several hours and a few miles that the car had finally reached its full capacity. The nearest gas station around was more than five miles away and luck was not on their side when Chanyeol's car had suddenly decided that it could not wait for a ten minutes to get to the gas station. They only had less than a mile to get to get to the gas station. And now the two were pushing the vehicle towards the gas station in great defeat.

"I don't even care anymore." Baekhyun grumbled. "I just want to get back home now." At the lack of enthusiasm in Baekhyun's voice, Chanyeol sighed to himself, resting his back against the back of the car. "I don't get it, Baek," he finally said. "You could be using this opportunity to get away from reality, to think for yourself. But here you are, complaining over a chance you haven't even taken yet."

Baekhyun's head snapped up at the sound of Chanyeol's voice. "Do you not get that I didn't want to go on this stupid, goddamn road trip in the first place? Gosh, Chanyeol. You don't ing listen. I get that you're only trying to help, but sometimes it just doesn't work out." Baekhyun sighed, running his hand through his damp hair. The summer heat was really getting to him now.

After a long while of silence, the only background noises being the rushing cars on the highways and their soft breathing, Baekhyun apologized. He had finally felt the guilt of yelling at his best friend for only helping eating away. In response, Chanyeol only ignored his apologies  and continued pushing the car on his own, leaving Baekhyun behind. Baekhyun frowned and cursed at the ground, tugging at his hair in anger. He hated it when Chanyeol was upset. 

Even though he knew that the chances of Chanyeol accepting his apology was slim, Baekhyun hurriedly went over to help Chanyeol push the car towards the gas station and apologized once more. This time Chanyeol stopped and turned to look at Baekhyun. There was a soft look on his face that resembled a beaten puppy.

"You're right, Baekhyun. Everything that you have said so far is absolutely right. It was wrong of me to force you into his road trip. But I just want you to forget about Hana. There are plenty other girls out there for you. Hana is just one step closer for you to meeting the perfect one. I'm sure of it. You're a good man, Baekhyun. Some girl out there is bound to see it." Chanyeol reassured. Baekhyun only grinned at his best friend. 

"What would I do without you; you grease ball." Baekhyun chuckled. 

"Probably die in depression." Chanyeol smirked. 

Baekhyun only laughed and punched Chanyeol on the arm. Chanyeol feigned hurt. 

And just like that, the two best friends went along as though they were never in an argument in the first place. 

✖ ✖ 

Originally, Iseul had meant to go off to look for Yifan and Jongdae, but she had given up the moment she stepped foot out of her house. She was just too lazy looking for the pair of idiots, so she decided to not waste her time looking and went over to Yixing's house instead. Yixing was always calm and collected, and although he was a bit dumb and slow at times, he was Iseul's personal favorite. 

Yixing and Iseul stayed inside Yixing's bedroom, sharing their musings - or rather, Iseul's rantings. Nonetheless, Yixing didn't mind. In fact, his eyes were twinkling during the midst of it all, while Iseul's eyes held its natural gleam. Anyone who wouldn't have known that the two were merely friends would have guessed that they were lovers. But they weren't. It was an unrequited love; Yixing was clearly in love with Iseul, and Iseul was oblivious to it all.

"Hey, Yixing," Iseul called out. Yixing looked up at her from the floor. "What?" He asked curiously. The twinkle in her eyes were twice as bright now. 

Iseul hopped off his bed and sat down next to Yixing at the foot of his bed. "Mind singing me a song?" She asked, batting her eyelashes at him. Yixing rolled his eyes and pretended to be annoyed at her request, but inside his heart was hammering against his chest and his bones were chilled to warm frost. "S-sure." He replied, his voice cracking a bit at the end. 

Before Yixing opened his mouth to sing, Iseul had interrupted by blurting, "With the guitar! I like it when you play the guitar."

Upon hearing her compliment, Yixing hid his face from her and blushed heavily. He got up from the floor and took his guitar. Taking a deep breath, Yixing started strumming the guitar clumsily at first. But as time progressed, he let go of his nerves and sang fully. From the bottom of his heart.

During his performance, Iseul only stared at him in awe. But as Yixing got further into the song, Iseul began to really listen to the lyrics.

Is your heart a yes or no? Give me a sign; x or o. It's no fun to wait.

By the time Yixing finished, Iseul faked a small smile and looked everywhere else except Yixing. She had figured that he liked her, but she didn't think he would actually confess. Not through song. She didn't even expect him to confess any time soon. 

Before Yixing had the chance to speak, Iseul stood up. "Oh, damn." She mumbled. "I just forgot that my parents want me home before three." She laughed nervously. Yixing only nodded and bid her a goodbye.

"I'm really sorry, Yixing. You don't deserve someone like me. You deserve so much better," Iseul mumbled as she stepped out of the Zhang household with a heavy heart. 

 

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

author's note:

well. it has certainly been a long time since i've updated. and yes. a lot of drama has unfolded with kris and baekhyun and yada yada yada. even though kris is not part of exo, he will still be a character in this story. one thing i'd like to say in reaction to all this drama is that even if something as tragic as this things happen, you will able to pinpoint who are exo's true fans. oh and this sudden indirect yixing confession is in here for a reason. a reason that you have yet to find out. i hope that people are still out there reading this fic. /sweatdrops/ do me a favor and leave a comment? /sweatdrops again/ and jesus. i'm sorry for that even with long awaited updates my chapters are short. ._.