route no. 3

The Perks of Wanderlust

 

Shortly after Iseul and Jongdae's five minute quarrel, Yifan, Minseok, Luhan and Zitao finally arrived to see the sour facial expressions painted on the two childish young adults. Luhan merely shook his head. Yifan narrowed his eyes. Minseok held back a laugh. Tao only skipped over to Minjung before engulfing her into a bear hug.

"Let me guess," Minseok started as he settled himself on the pool chair next to Iseul's. "Was Jongdae being an again?" He asked. Iseul nodded without missing a chance to shoot a death glare at Jongdae, who was oblivious to her death threat. "The idiot pushed me into the pool when I wasn't looking, and I almost drowned because of that freaking duck!" Iseul exclaimed, throwing her hands up in exasperation. "You'd think that being friends with him for more than five years helps me tolerate his childishness, but it doesn't. It only makes me hate him more." She continued with a pout, moving to lie down on Minseok's lap, blowing a raspberry in complete annoyance.

Minseok looked down at Iseul with empathy. "Don't we all? I think we're all fed up with Jongdae's childish tactics, but we tend to love him regardless."  

Iseul rolled her eyes. "I know. That annoys me. Even when he's being a complete jerk, I can never stay mad at him." Minseok chuckled, ruffling Iseul's hair. "I believe that's what makes Jongdae quite the lady killer. His annoyance and teasing slowly becomes a characteristic that you can't seem to get enough of." Iseul laughed to herself, waving off the matter. She didn't care anymore. Jongdae was Jongdae; end of story.

From afar, Iseul saw the two lovebirds - Minjung and Zitao - splashing water at one another, giggling and laughing despite being underneath the blazing sun. Iseul sighed to herself, sitting up from Minseok's lap to stare up at the sky in wonder. When would it be her time to find herself a Prince Charming?

A light slap on the cheek brought Iseul back to reality. She turned her head to see Minseok peering at her with curious eyes. "You look troubled. What's wrong?" He asked, facing her completely. Iseul puffed her cheeks. Just as she was about to answer, Luhan popped up and placed himself on the empty spot next to Iseul, snuggling up to Minseok. "What are you two talking about?" He asked, paying no mind that he had rudely interrupted an 'A' and 'B' conversation. 

Annoyed, Iseul weakly pushed Luhan off the seat. Unfortunately, he stayed put on his spot and crossed his arms over his chest, paitently waiting for an answer. What a stubborn brat. "Iseul is upset about something and I was asking her what was upsetting her." Minseok answered. 

Luhan looked at Iseul. Worry lines were forming on his forehead. He eyed Iseul up and down to check if there were any physical bruises or cuts on her body. Then he placed his two pointer fingers on each end of her jaw to turn her head back and forth, checking her face. Iseul pouted at Luhan when he began to cup his hands around her cheeks, bringing her face closer to his.

"H-hey!" Iseul exclaimed, attempting to pry Luhan's hands off her face. "What's wrong? Tell me and Dr. Lulu will make it all better!" Luhan cried out with his hands still glued to her face. Then, without warning, Luhan placed his forehead against Iseul's, staring deeply into Iseul's eyes. Minseok, who had been eying the two very carefully, wordlessly and awkwardly left them alone.

"L-Luhan!" Iseul stuttered at the close proximity. Luhan pulled away, obliging to her obvious nervousness. In a softer voice, Luhan pleaded, "Now tell me, Iseul. What is troubling you? If you tell me, maybe I can help." For the umpteenth time, Iseul sighed. Only this time, it was very dramatic and she looked very distressed about it.

"Just watching Minjung and Zitao together makes me jealous." She confessed bitterly. With wide, surprised eyes, Luhan pushed Iseul away gently to scan her face. "Y-you like Zitao?" He asked in bewilderment. "No, you idiot. I just meant that I don't have anyone to act stupid with. I don't have anyone to call 'baby' or 'babe'. I don't have anyone to call my 'soulmate' or 'boyfriend'. I'm single. I'm single forever!" Iseul cried out.

Since Iseul was a relatively calm and collected person, seeing her like this only made Luhan stare at her in shock. "U-uhm-" He tried to start, but Iseul beat him to it by ranting out her 'misfortunes of life'.

"I've always had guys chasing after me! But where are they when I need them the most!? Is this karma for dumping each and every one of them because they weren't good enough?" Iseul angrily pulled at her, ignoring the judging stares she had recieved from onlookers. Luhan opened his mouth to console her, but Iseul had - once again - cut him off. 

"I've never done anything bad to any guy before. I only dump them. Is dumping someone really that bad? You know, it's not my fault that they are never good enough for me. I'm just too fabulous. I dumped all my past boyfriends because there was no way in hell they could ever pass, nonetheless reach, my level. They just can't." Iseul uttered hysterically. Luhan, who was still at a loss for words, only hugged her.

Out in the distance, Yifan, Jongdae, Yixing and Minseok stared at the scene before them.

"Why the did you leave those two idiots alone together?" Yifan scoffed, slapping the back of Minseok's head with the back of his hand. Jongdae and Yixing shot Minseok a glare. Minseok winced beneath their glares and cowered away.

"Oh, by the way," Jongdae started as the others continued to watch Iseul and Luhan's little scene of embarrassment. Once all attention was on him, Jongdae nonchalantly said, "My friend from Illinois, Chanyeol, is coming here and he needs a place to stay. So, are any of you willing to take in some strangers inside your household?" 

Yixing, who seemed to be the only one actually listening, said, "Strangers? I thought there was only one coming over. Chanyeol, is that his name?" Jongdae shrugged. "I don't know. Chanyeol said he was bringing a friend with him. I think we should just let them live with Iseul. Iseul's house is big, isn't it?" Immediately, Yixing shook his head at the suggestion and offered his home instead. Jongdae smirked knowingly. It was quite obvious that Yixing had a crush on Iseul.

"Oh, right. I forgot. You have a crush on Iseul. I don't see why, though. The girl leaves a trail of broken hearts here and there. C'mon, Yixing. I think you can do better than that." Jongdae tutted.

"I know. It's terrible. But no matter what I do to move on, she always manages to pull me back in." 

✖ ✖ 

Once Chanyeol had finally managed to strap a thrashing Baekhyun into the passenger seat, they immediately set off on the road; the view of their home state - Illinois - getting further and further away from their sight.

"Isn't this nice?" Chanyeol asked an hour later. He snuck a side glance at Baekhyun, clucking his tongue when he saw the scowl on Baekhyun's face. "Don't talk to me." Baekhyun snapped, scooting further away from Chanyeol towards the window to watch the passing scenery. Even though the whole road trip idea wasn't something in Baekhyun's idea of getting over a heartbreak, he did, however, enjoy the passing sceneries. Somehow, the never ending view of rolling trees put him into a slight trance that made him momentarily forget that he was headed off to God-knows-where.

Seeing as how Baekhyun was unresponsive, Chanyeol pouted and kept his attention on the road instead. Suddenly, a lightbulb went off in his dense head. He suddenly remembered that he had forgotten to mention one major detail.

"Hey," Chanyeol called out. Baekhyun didn't move, showing no signs of response. Athough Chanyeol knew that up to this point it would be impossible to draw out an answer from Baekhyun, he continued anyway. "Our destination is off at Las Vegas, Nevada. I know a friend who is willing to take us in their household. Or at least, I hope he is." Chanyeol muttered the last part to himself, hoping Baekhyun hadn't heard. "So we don't have to pay for a hotel or anything. It'll be fun. Las Vegas is great! I mean, we're finally  twenty-one! That means more freedom!" Chanyeol exclaimed giddily.

Baekhyun showed no shows of paying attention, but he certainly was listening. Las Vegas? How in the world did someone like Chanyeol know a person of Las Vegas residence? Baekhyun shrugged off the thought. His mind was now thinking of all the possible scenarios that could happen in Las Vegas. After all, the saying "What happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas" could finally apply to him. Adrenaline was running through his veins now. Suddenly, his views on this road trip changed. 

"Alright. Let's make this road trip the best then." Baekhyun declared finally. Chanyeol smirked, hearing the sudden excitement present in Baekhyun's voice.

"Whatever happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas." Baekhyun continued, his heart thumping against his chest.

Feeling victorious and pumped by the thought of having a whole new adventure in Las Vegas, Baekhyun rolled down the window to extend his arm out. He grinned when he felt the strong wind push against his arm. Then he pulled his arm back in the car and stuck out his head instead. With all his might, Baekhyun yelled out and cheered happily.

Perphaps this road trip wasn't such a bad idea after all.

 

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

author's note:

wow long time no see. i came back to writing this fic again after i started to read more. then i had realized how much i miss writing. so. yeah. i enjoy writing this - really.