Chapter 1

Reborn

 

Chapter 1: The Soldier

 

 

It was chilly outside, deep in the forest. The man had given up a long time ago trying to ask himself why he didn’t freeze. Many things have changed for him the past few years and he was still searching for answers, answers that were really hard to find.

Snow was softly falling down and the moon had hidden behind dark clouds. It was pitch dark outside, nearly impossible to see your own hand before your eyes. Well, he was an exception. He could clearly see everything. The mouse that was looking for food on his right side, the owl that was sitting on a tree on his left and the soft shine of a torch that was slowly but steadily approaching him. They wouldn’t see him, but he was a hunter; he could clearly see them.

“For a 53 year old man I see perfectly,” he snickered, hiding behind a tree while waiting for the two soldiers that were eagerly talking to each other. Yes, they were far away, but the man could hear them as if they stood beside him. Another helpful trait he received. He didn’t like what he was, but he liked the benefits. But each good thing has its price, a price he hates to pay.

As the soldiers neared, he pressed his tall and trained body against a tree. His dark and tightly fitting clothes helped him to be one with the darkness.

 

 

 

‘Wind was blowing softly over her bruised body. Her eyes were glued to the moon.

Even if she couldn't feel the cold snow under her body; she still felt the betrayal and her heart that was slowly stopped beating.

The beauty’s head fell to her right side, looking into her lover's eyes, which were once loving. The winter wind played with her black hair as she heard his raspy voice for the last time.

"Sanatio Casus. Thanks for giving me your life." The tall man stood up and bowed his head in honour. Then, he turned around; his broad back facing the dying girl and with heavy steps he walked away. His head held up high without turning around once, until his figure was gone.

The girls’ heart stopped, like an old clock that ran out of battery.

Her eyes were still looking into the direction her lover left. The only difference was that there was no longer a lively and loving glint in them; now they were cold and dead.’

 

“Don’t talk nonsense! How would you know what that girl felt as she died?” the slightly smaller one of them said as he heard his friend's story.

“Yah! But that’s exactly what the guy, who witnessed the murder, told me. He also said that the guy who killed her wasn’t human,” the taller male said in a hushed tone, as if he wanted to scare his comrade.

“You’re kidding me aren’t you? Why would I believe such a crazy story? Not human? Then, what else could he be?”  The skeptic man looked around, as if he was afraid to be attacked by an animal.

“I’m not kidding! I don’t make jokes about something like that. The man who told me was a wreck; he was scared to death and I could hear it through his voice that he escaped death there. He told me that he was looking for firewood when he saw a pale looking man, carrying an even paler woman. As if he wanted to sacrifice her. He then spoke something in a different language when he lied her down.”

“That sounds creepy. Which man would carry a sick woman into the deepest forest? In winter!” the pissed off soldier spat out.

“I’m not finished yet. The blond haired man bowed down to the woman, and in the moonlight, the observer saw two long teeth sinking into the women’s flesh as if it was butter,” the taller soldier ended, his face looking frightened and so did his comrades one.

Suddenly, both of them heard steps, crunching snow and breaking branches. The male with the torch in his hands, went into a fighting position while the taller one went a few steps backwards.

Sanatio Casus,” a whisper was heard and, as the small man lifted his burning torch, he saw blood red eyes starring directly back at him.

“Monster!” he screamed and pulled his sword out of its sheath. But a human could never win this fight. Regardless of whether a soldier, a farmer or a simple servant attacked, nobody could escape a creature like him. With a firm grip he held the soldier by his throat, he only intended to stop his actions and make the struggling man listen to him. But the dark clothed male with the blood red eyes was inexperienced and too strong for his own good, killing the soldier without much force.

He lied the limp and dead body down; into the white snow. The killer then raised his head, starring at the whimpering man before him. A scoff escaped his lips.

“You know, I was also a soldier once . But the king would never require a useless soldier like you. Whatever, I’m not going to kill you, just give me what I want… information,” he growled, his voice dark and threatening as he slowly walked towards the scared man.

“Don’t come near me!” the soldier screamed, but the creature had no intentions to stop his actions. His red eyes widened as the soldier stared at him in shock, a dagger in hands. The creature was about to stop him, but he was too far away. The soldier’s blade entered his own flesh and red liquid escaped his wound where his heart was.

A frown formed on the creature’s handsome face.

“I just wanted to talk to him… What a dumb soldier, they get weaker and weaker.” He shook his head in anger, turned around and went towards the smaller death body and smirked as he detected the male’s sword.

“They are laughable, but they do have good weapons,” he mumbled and took the black sword with him. He was grumpy. He just wanted to talk with the taller soldier. The red eyed male just wanted to know more about that creature called Sanatio Casus. This name followed him nearly everywhere. He had visited a lot of countries in the past few years, to search for answers, but everywhere he went he heard this name. He knew what it meant, but he wasn’t sure why it was always this creature that got killed.


 

 

After a long walk, without him needing to rest, to sleep, to drink or to eat; he arrived to a busy town. Stands with fresh bread and vegetables lined the streets and people were busily buying groceries. It had been a while since the man saw such good food, but he had no urge to taste it. The only thing his body longed for was blood. This was the reason why he hated his current life.

He was once a soldier, a high-rank officer that was trained to protect the king. The tall man was born in the year 1572; his father was also a soldier and gave him the name Chansung which meant approval, since he hoped that his son would become a strong and mighty warrior.

And, like his father hoped, king Seonjo approved of him; making him the youngest soldier he recruited. With the age of 18 he leaded the king’s army. Two years later, he became king  Seonjo’s personal bodyguard. His life was perfect, until the Imjin war started in the year 1592. Little did the kingdom know about the weapons their opponent possessed.

A cold shudder ran down Chansung’s spine as he remembered what happened to him when the palace stood under assault. Slightly shaking his head, he tried to forget the most memorable thing that happened in his young life. He was only 23 when he was ‘killed’.

 

As the young man walked down an old and dark alley, he saw something that instantly grabbed his interest. He had met a few of his kind, but that person that was directly walking in front of him was different. He had that ‘old’ aura around him, but he was young. There was also the swaying of his body; he looked like a predator ready to jump on its prey.

“Excuse me?” Chansung asked with a heavy Korean accent. The young man that was walking before him turned around, surprised that someone actually talked to him.

“The shadows which are looking for the light… May I talk to you?” Chansung greeted him with the common salutation. It seemed like the stranger knew what he was referring to since he smiled and waved him over.

“Hello, brother of the night. How can I help you?” Chansung knew immediately that the person he was talking to was not as young as he seemed.

“Why are you human?” the young male asked the stranger, but he only received a chuckle.

“I found my Sanatio Casus,” the human answered his question. Chansung’s eyebrows furrowed. There it was again, that word. “I see, you are a new born… ask whatever you want to know,” the fair-skinned man invited.

“What is a Sanatio Casus...” he whispered into his ear and the fair-skinned male nodded, as if he had predicted this question.

“A Sanatio Casus is your ticket out of,” the traveller pointed at Chansung, “your current life. This person is special. Find her/him, make her/him love you and then that person’s blood. If you succeed, you have the chance to be human again,” the slightly smaller man explained.

“So you are that man who killed this woman a few days ago?” He didn’t have to wait for an answer, he knew it already. The blonde guy nodded, giving him a small smile.

“I’m sorry my brother, I have to leave. I’m not immortal anymore, time is running,” he said in English, bowed and turned around to leave.

“Wait, just one more question. How do I know which person my Sanatio Casus is?” Chansung asked, holding the man by his shoulder.

“You will know it as soon as you smell his/her stunning blood. She/He is different, as I said; this person will be your lux, your light. This human being is just made for you,” the traveller commented, bowed one last time and left. Chansung watched his body till the human disappeared behind a house.

Sanatio Casus… so this is what you are. My rescue…”

 

 

 

 

 


A/N: First chapter~ I really hope you liked it >.<

Well, now we know a little bit what a Sanatio Casus is, but of course there is a lot more to know ;)

I also tried to write about Chansung's past. The Imjin war is not ficitonal...this war really happened, and the date of year is also correct ^^

I thought it would fit Chansungs personality to be a soldier, and the year was perfect for his 'age' *kekeke~

I know this chapter is quite... short? I'm planing to go with the flow :D

Sometimes there is a lot to write about and sometimes...not xD

It's my first time to try this writing style... since I normaly write in POV's Ö_Ö

It would be also nice of you guys to inform me of mistakes I made... since I'm not the best in grammar >.<

Well, last but not least... please subscribe if you liked it and tell me your opinion. *points at comment section*

Lots of love, Banana_Dreams ♥

 

Translation:

lux (Latin) - light (English)