Chapter 9 - Zebra and Monkeys: It's A Zoo!

Broken Promise

You wake up, and both you and Chunji are lying down on the ground in awkward positions. Rays of sun shine brightly against your face, and you squint your eyes, still half awake. A few minutes later, you scratch your eyes and drag your sore body into a sitting position. You look at the time and panic, because you realize that you’re both very late. You kick Chunji in the chest, in attempt to wake him, but he just moans and pushes your small feet out of his face.

You get changed in the bathroom, and the second you enter your room, Chunji sits on the ground, staring at the window blankly, like a zombie.
“Ah, what a bother!” you complain. Chunji is always like this in the morning. For a few minutes, he would be in a daze, gazing silently into the distance, and out of nowhere he would be up and running, filled with energy like he usually is.

You run to the kitchen and with your swift hands, create two reasonably appetizing sandwiches for you and Chunji, and run back upstairs to prepare your bag. Chunji stands there, dressed in a hoodie and shorts, with his bag and yours slung over his shoulders.
“Let’s go!” he says like normal again. Chunji, you’re such a freak...
As you both run outside, you arrive in class together, panting.
“Madeline Kim.” says the teacher in monotone. Hah, just in time!
“Here!” you yell from the door breathing heavily, struggling for air.

After the long day, you stretch your sleepy arms on your chair and both Chunji and Zelo appear in front of you.
“Let’s walk home together today, Madeline~” smiles Zelo.
“I’ll stay back, I have something to do at school.” says Chunji, who is giving the signal for you to confess to Zelo. “Here’s your bag.”
“Thanks,” you say as you walk out the door next to Zelo.

“Chunji...” he says as you both walk on a pathway. “Is he your boyfriend?”
For no reason, you suddenly blush. Oh no, he got the wrong idea... You laugh loudly.
“Ani, ani (No, no), Chunji is just a childhood friend. I would say brother, but we’re not blood related.” you say, hoping to clear the confusion.
“Ah, okay!” Zelo replies adorably.
This is the perfect time, you think. Confess Madeline. Confess!
“Uh,” you say, tugging his sleeve, causing him to stop in his tracks. “I really like...”
You turn red.
“Like..?” he asks, waiting for you to finish your sentence.”
“I really like y—” you hesitate for a moment. “I like YAKS!”
“Oh, right,” he laughs. “I thought you were going to say something else.”
“Huh?” you ask.
“I really like M. M for monkeys.” he smiles. You walk silently next to him, as red as a tomato, and he waves goodbye, with a beaming smile on his face. His smile could set your house on fire. You wave back, forcing a smile on your face for the sake of it. Damn it, I'm such an idiot.

You walk back into your house, and you sit on the ground, staring into space. What was I thinking?
“Pabo. (Stupid.)” says Chunji, who opens the door behind you and bends down to sit next to you. You both sit quietly for a while. “I heard everything.”
“I can’t do it.” you reply as you shake your head.
“Fine, new mission!” he yells, suddenly standing up and pointing a finger at you. “Mission two: get Zelo to confess instead!”

This is going to be a long, long day.