Chapter 4 - Polaroid

Broken Promise

The trip had ended, and you sit next to Chunji on the bus instead of Zelo. You rest your head on Chunji’s shoulder and you get ready to sleep. The bus won’t arrive back to school in at least 3 hours. As your eyelids become heavier and the sound of the chatting students become a lullaby, Chunji silently whispers to you.
“Zelo likes you, you know.” he says.
“Oh, really.” you say, not too surprised.
“Lots of girls like me too.” he says, showing off.
“Okay.” you say as you drift to sleep.

Chunji POV:
Her delicate head rests on your shoulders and you smile to yourself. Her hair tickles your neck and you stare at her for a while. Her long eyelashes compliment her black eyes, the colour of the peaceful darkness. Her hair was such a dark shade of brown, and her lips were incredibly soft pink—but she never realizes how incredibly beautiful she truly is.

You think to yourself, for years you have been like this with her. Absolutely friend-zoned. Many mistake you as a couple, but she always denies it and you never do. You’re not so sure if you like her though. When she hangs out with other guys you don’t like it, but when you hang out with other girls, you forget about her. Maybe you’re selfish. Maybe you do like her and you don’t know. Maybe.

A best friend? Not close enough.
A sister? Not really.
A friend? Too distant.
A lover? ....
I don’t know, I don’t know.


You sigh in frustration. The funny thing is, knowing her for years, one of her adorable traits is that she has a tendency to talk in her sleep.
“Chunji.” she murmurs. “Chunji.”
You look at her in surprise and instantly wonder why you are in her dream. Maybe she fell in love with me, you think foolishly.
“Chunji,” she just says. “Chunji, you pabo. (idiot.)”
Oh. Your cheeks turn red and you laugh.
“Kim Madeline, you idiot.” you reply to her even if she’s asleep.

Your POV:
As you wake up, you find yourself sleeping in Chunji’s bedroom. His bed smells of soap and lavender, a gentle scent. A scent that you felt safe around. A scent that was familiar to you. You get off your back and find a piece of paper sitting at your feet.

Madeline,
You fell deep asleep on the bus and no one could wake you up, not even the teachers! Since we live next to each other, the teacher allowed me to carry you home. You’re such a pig! You’re so heavy!

Anyway, I have gone to the shops to get some instant ramen because my parents and your parents aren’t home from work yet. Stay put and don’t look around in my room! Stay doggy!
Chunji.


You’ve already been in Chunji’s room at least a million times now. Posters of his idols hang loosely on the walls. What a fanboy. A study table sits just behind a huge glass window, showing a side of your house. Your window is visible right in front of it. You recall memories of both of you sticking messages on the window for each other to see.

You look across and you see your own message ‘Stupid! :P’ that you hung on the window a few weeks ago. The floor is covered in cold, white tiles and in the corner of the room, you see a box that you have never seen in Chunji’s room before. Tempted, you open the lid of the box.

Pictures, mostly polaroids and letters fill the entire box. As you skim through a letter, you see a picture of you and Chunji hugging each other when you were still in kindergarden attached with a purple paperclip. Carefully, you take the picture off. Behind the picture you see the words, in Chunji’s messy handwriting, “I think I have fallen in love with you Kim Madeline."