Chapter 14 - If Only You Knew

Broken Promise

The TOP Media building was certainly a tall one, towering over the small cars and the busy, vulnerable people that rush past the streets. You both shut the doors of the car and wave goodbye to Chunji’s mother until the back of the car is no longer visible to your eye. The building was made mostly of glass, which reflected the orange haze of the setting sun. The sounds of honking horns echo in the distance, and the constant hum of chattering fill the busy street. The repetitive beeps of a stoplight is heard occasionally, and finally you reach the huge doors of the epic building.

You see Chunji’s forehead which is dotted with unmistakable beads of sweat. You wipe his sweat with the sleeve of your oversized knit jumper.
“Stop being so nervous, I’ll be right here, remember?” you reminded him.
“Ne... (Yes...)” he replied.
You both stepped cautiously into the building, and at least hundreds of teenage boys and girls fill the room, either dancing in the corner or quietly singing to themselves. Chunji freezes on the spot, overwhelmed by the sheer number of people auditioning, and you grab his hand.

From the point you touched his hand, warmth spreads immediately like a wave from that one spot. You kiss him gingerly on the cheek. I will always be waiting for you. You suddenly shrink back to your original position, because you start hearing Zelo’s voice again. You shake your head, trying to forget. Forget, forget, forget. It’s been months since your last exchange of words, and you feel like he’s driving you mad. His words could still reach you. Your hand clenches a fist at your chest, and it hurts.

“Lee Chanhee,” announces a woman from a speaker. Chunji rises, and you stand with him, approaching the black curtains on the other side of the room. A man holds his arm out, blocking your way.
“Sorry, participants only.” he explains.
“Ah, okay.” you say.
“Can’t she come in?” Chunji insists.
“I repeat, participants only.” he says strictly.
“Let her—” Chunji says.
“Chunji, let it go. I’ll be here, waiting, cheering for you. Promise me you’ll do well. Promise me that. Go now.” you tell him.
He responds with a nod of his head, you watch as his body soon envelopes into the darkness.

Chunji POV:
“You’re accepted. You shall become the newest member of ‘Teen Top’!” announces the stern man in glasses.
You bow down respectfully and thank every person in the room, shaking their hands and expressing your gratitude.
Without saying another word, you run out of the room, and you scan for Madeline’s face. There she was, in the corner of the room, her eyes shut and slightly opened, obviously sleeping. She rests peacefully, with her back leaning on the wall and her head slightly tilted. I’m sorry for keeping you awake.

“Z-zelo... Chu-unji...” she says while fast asleep.
“Madeline, say Zelo’s name only, because Chunji will be gone soon.” you tell her.
“No...” she replies, which amazes you. “We... promised. We promised.”
You stare at her with mixed feelings of melancholy and nostalgia. You will miss how her long eyelashes compliment her black eyes, the colour of the peaceful darkness. You will miss how her hair was such a dark shade of brown, and her lips were incredibly soft pink—and you will never get to tell her how incredibly beautiful she truly is.

You sit quietly in the car as Madeline chatters on and on about how happy she is an how proud she will be to tell everyone that she was your best friend. If only you knew.