Push and Pull

Hopelessly Devoted ~ a One-Shot~COMPLETE

 

Kris walked down the hallway of school, a pokerface expression on his face, with his backpack lazily hung over his shoulder. Everyone moved out of his way as he walked, fear evident in their eyes.

 

Sora was leaving her flute class when she noticed this. When she hesitantly waved to him, he looked right passed her. Slightly dejected, she knew that she shouldn't have gotten her hopes up. What happened the other day was a rare moment.

 

But as Kris rounded the corner of the hallway to get to class, someone bumped into him, causing his half open backpack to tip over, dumping his notebooks, books, and Ace out of it, as everything toppled to the ground.

 

Everyone gasped. First at someone having bumped into Kris, and knowing this person was about to receive his wrath. The guy apologized profusely bowing to him.

 

And then everyone froze, staring at the plush Alpaca that was lying sideways on the ground.

 

Kris noticed this and wasn't sure how to cover for himself in order to keep up his icy demeanor.

 

'Wu Yi Fan carries stuffed animals around?" How adorable. Kim Junsu, the only guy who was okay with getting in Kris's way jeered sarcastically.

 

Everyone gulped.

 

Sensing he needed help Sora hurriedly rushed forward, picking up the alpaca plush, and cradled it gently in her arms as if it were her own.

 

Kris and Junsu, and everyone else just looked at her. 

 

"Actually. It's mine. I forced Kris oppa to keep it. You know how annoying and nagging I can be. Right Junsu sunbae?" She told him, trying to be convincing as Junsu gaped at this.

 

Kris said nothing and kept a stoic face.

 

Junsu then looked at Kris and looked apologetic for once.

 

"Sorry man. Sora, you're lucky he hasn't punched you yet. Why do you get your up in a knot over him when he doesn't give a about you?" Junsu said pointedly as Sora flushed.

 

Kris' jaw clenched at this. "I know I don't deserve her kindness. But right now, you're as much of a jerk as I am." He said sternly.

 

Junsu scoffed at this. "What's going on here?" He asked suspiciously.

 

"Just telling the truth" Sora said with a simple airy shrug and quickly stacked Kris' notebooks and things and handed it back to him, and walked off with Ace in her arms.

 

Everyone hurriedly dispersed as the bell rang.

 

At first Kris walked the opposite way, but then met with Sora in the back grounds ot the school, as she handed Ace back to him.

 

"Thanks for that." He said quietly.

 

She nodded slowly. "Thanks for telling off Junsu sunbae. Although he was right.." She trailed off.

 

Kris' colored slightly. "I really am sorry. I know I probably seem not only a jerk, but a bit bipolar right now. I just. I couldn't see myself suddenly being warm and nice around people all of a sudden." He explained, rubbing the back of his neck.

 

Sora titled her head at this. "Well, it's understandable I guess. But since you don't completely hate me anymore, can I ask why you keep up that kind of icy demeanor?" She asked, pursing her lips.

 

Kris sighed. "Like I said about other stuff, it's a long story. But if you walk me home today this time, I'll tell you about it. If you want ot hear about it." He offered.

 

Sora gave a small smile. "Sure. At 4?" She said. He nodded, stuffing his hands in his pockets and walking away to class.

 

Shaking her head, Sora walked the opposite way to her own class.

 

 

~

 

At 5, Sora met with Kris at the backgrounds again, making sure no one spotted them as he led the way towards his house. 

 

He started his story as soon as they were halfway towards his home. Sora listened attentively, nodding at the right moments.

 

"First off, my birth last name isn't Wu. It's actually Li. My real father was an alcoholic and my mom divorced him when I was only 7. She remarried my step dad, Wu Zhi Xiang, and they had another son, my half brother Xiao Bin. " He explained, as they stepped over crunchy leaves along the sidewalk.

 

Sora felt a bit sad at hearing this, imagining Kris as a young boy, having to deal with an alcoholic father. But she was relieved his family had broken free of his dad. Yet she was still curious.

 

"And if your dad's an alcoholic, do you visit him...wherever he is?" She asked hesitantly. Kris' face darkened and he shook his head. "Not only was an alcoholic, but he was also a gambler, he got alot of debts, and he hit my mom sometimes." He said, clenching his fist.

 

Sora felt even sadder. So this was Kris' dark past. Maybe the icy demeanor was his way of pushing people away because of his fathers' lousy ways.

 

"Is that why you push people away? Because of what your father did?" She carefully asked, walking alongside him.

 

Kris stopped walking and Sora was afraid he might lash out at her. Turning to her, he sighed, and ran a hand through his hair.

 

"That's part of it. But it's also because I'm tired of so many people constantly trying to give me love letters, or ask me to go to this or that with them. I thought the cold persona would help me keep those things at bay." He explained.

 

Sora flushed. "Oh. Well..I can really see how bothered you are by it, so I'm sorry. I know I've been ridiculous the past few months." She said, lowering her head.

 

Kris shook his head. "I didn't mean you, specifically. Sorry. You're actually the only person that genuinely told me you admired me, without throwing yourself at me." he explained.

 

Sora half smiled. "I guess I'm one of a kind?" She tried to joke, and Kris smiled back. She was starting to get used to him doing that.

 

They continued walking, as she talked a little bit about herself as well, feeling at ease that he didn't suddenly bring up all the things she did for having a crush on him from before.

 

When they got to his house, a man sat on the porchsteps and Kris' face darkened again.

 

"What are you doing here?" He said, the iciness in his tone sending a shiver up Sora's own spine.

 

The man started to walk forward towards them and Sora noticed his staggered walking. She knew who it was.

 

Kris stood in front of her, while he glared down at his biological father.

 

 

"I came for forgiveness." He said, his words slurring.

 

Kris frowned, and took one finger, and pushed on his father's shoulder.

 

He stumbled backwards, and landed on his behind

 

 

"Look at you. You're still a drunk. How long did you last in rehab this time? Do you know what ma went through?! You don't deserve to be forgiven. Not now anyway." He said coldly.

 

He led Sora inside the house, just for safety since his drunken father was still lurking outside.

 

She wasn't sure what to say.

 

"Gege! You're back" His younger brother came bounding down the stairs, and hugged his legs.

 

Kris face lit up in a way Sora had never seen.

 

The young boy glanced from him to Sora with wide eyes.

 

Sora squatted down and extended her hand.

 

"Um hi I'm Sora. Your brother's...classmate.' She said with a smile.

 

The young boy looked hesitant, but shook her hand.

 

"Gege never brings visitors home" He blurted and Kris looked embarassed.

 

He grabbed his brother and tossed him over his shoulder, muttering stuff in chinese to him as he set him back in his room upstairs.

 

Going back down the stairs he saw Sora looking at the happy family pictures of his mom, brother, and what she guessed to be his stepdad.

 

She smiled. "You know, your dad might've messed up pretty badly, but you have a great family without him." She said sincerely.

 

Kris nodded. "I know." He said, and offered her a glass of tea in the kitchen.

 

She sat down at the kitchen table, and somehow they ended up doing their calculus homework together.

 

When Kris' parents came home from work they also seemed surprised to see her there but greeted warmly.

 

After accepting their invitation to dinner, she realized it was getting late and said she would be heading home.

 

"You can't let her walk at this hour. Take the car. But drive carefully." His mother cautioned him.

 

Sora started to shake her head, saying it wasn't a big deal, but they insisted.

 

She said goodbye to the family, thanking them again, and hopped into the car as Kris drove her home.

 

~

"Your family is really nice." She commented. Kris nodded as he his blinker.

 

He was being quiet again. Sora let out a breath. "You know, just in case you were planning to change your mind about the whole icy persona thing, I think it'd suit you more to be how you are at home with your family. If you want to I mean. If not, I won't tell a soul." She said with a smile.

 

Kris glanced at her after making the turn, and seemed to be considering it.

 

"I'll think about it." He said and Sora nodded.

 

When he got to the house, she thanked him again and hopped out waving goodbye as he headed down the street.