8: Ungodly Hour

Nothing's Wrong

Dugeun. Dugeun. Went Bom’s heart.

 

-----

“Such a player.” Bom thought as she stretched herself on her new bed. She looked to her left where the bedside table was located and opened the drawer. For the nth time that morning, she gazed at the picture TOP gave her. “Why would you give me something this important?”

 

“No Bom, he gave this to you as a house warming present. Stop making a big deal out of it.” 

 

“But why our grade school picture, of all things to give? He could’ve just bought the customary detergent gift for housewarmings. Better yet, why give a gift at all? And why is the present just directed to me?”

 

“Bom, you stupid woman. No matter what you make out of this, what Seungri said was final. He has a WIFE.” Bom reminded herself, her heart aching. “For your own sake, stop whatever you are feeling.”

 

Who knew that a faded picture was the key to Bom’s heart?

 

-----

 

TOP stood at the Han River that morning, contemplating what he did for Bom. He knew he was in the wrong. He was in the wrong always.  

 

Flashback

 

“Tabi, this is my girlfriend, be nice to her, okay?” Nichkhun said, brushing off a few wavy locks from her shoulder. TOP was happy for his cousin, he had never seen him this happy.

 

“Annyeong, Tabi.” Victoria smiled warmly, offering her hand for a handshake. TOP stretched his hands and reached out for her soft ones. She seemed delicate, as though she was a rose that would wilt upon human touch. “Nichkhun has told me a lot about you.”

 

“Yeah, he’s told me a lot about you too.” TOP replied, awkward at the beauty in front of him. He shifted his attention to Nichkhun, who could see his older cousin flustered over his girlfriend. “Yah, but you should keep your honorifics even in front of your lady, such a brat!”

 

Nichkhun grinned, bowing exaggeratedly. ”I’m sorry, hyung!”

 

-----

 

TOP sat down by the riverbank, looking at a couple who were having a morning jog.

 

Flashback

 

“I’m planning to marry her, hyung.” Nichkhun confessed, sitting on a wooden bench in front of the Han River. He had called TOP especially to ask for advice in this situation. “What do you think?”

 

“I think.’ TOP started, staring at his cousin, his confidante, who was just running around in his trousers when they were younger, now acting maturely with the thought of marriage.  The things women can do to men. “That your mom would have been proud of you…. And that Victoria’s one lucky woman to have you.”

 

“Thanks, hyung.” Nichkhun let out a sigh of relief. “Well you know what comes next right?”

 

“What?”

 

“Of course, you have to be my best man!” Nichkhun patted TOP’s back.

 

“Yah, what makes you think I’ll agree?” TOP asked playfully. Of course he would be Nichkhun’s best man. He’d go berserk if he wasn’t.

 

“Because when you and Bom meet again, I’ll make sure I’m the best man!”

 

------

 

TOP shook his head, he closed his eyes, holding back tears that were forming. He looked sideways, away from the river, and saw a little kid riding a bike with his friend.

 

Flashback

 

“I’m pissed off! Let’s have a drink tonight!” TOP called Nichkhun. He was frustrated that day, he was denied by YG entertainment during his audition, saying that he was too fat to fit the idol image. “I’m at the Han River right now, where are you?”

 

“Ah, I’m with Victoria right now, around the area.”

 

“Oh, never mind then. Don’t let me interrupt you.”

 

“You sound drunk, hyung. Wait for us there.”

 

-----

 

The bigger kid fell from his bicycle. The smaller kid went down from his to offer a hand to his friend, but the bigger kid refused.

 

Flashback

 

“I’m sorry you have to let your fiancée see me like this.” TOP apologized, his head bowed low as he sat in the wooden bench where he and Nichkhun always chatted.

 

“It’s alright, hyung.” Nichkhun replied genuinely, straightening TOP’s sitting position. He knew how much being an artist meant to TOP. Being an artist meant being famous. Being famous meant that perhaps, even in America, he would get noticed. And maybe, just maybe, Bom would turn on the television one day and recognize him. “Let’s go home.”

 

“I’ll call a taxi.” Victoria offered, Nichkhun smiled at the gesture.

 

“I brought a car, I’ll be fine.”  TOP said in slurred words.

 

“That’s even worse, you cannot drive in your condition.” Nichkhun explained patiently, supporting TOP as he stood up.

 

“I can drive home, let go!” TOP yelled angrily at Nichkhun, shaking his cousin’s hand off his shoulder. “I only asked you to come for a drink. I didn’t ask for your help!”

 

“Alright, I won’t help you.” Nichkhun responded calmly, completely letting go of TOP. “But hyung, at least take a cab will you? You can’t drive like that.”

 

“Who are you to say what I can and can’t do? You’re exactly like them!”

 

-----

 

The bigger kid got up and rode his bicycle again. They bumped into each other, falling from their bicycles. Yet, the two were laughing hard, as if the scratches were nothing to them.

 

Flashback

 

TOP stormed to his car, carelessly revving up the engine and pumping up the gas pedal. He was on the highway, for some fresh air. He was just having a bad day. Just a bad day.

 

Victoria was crossing the pedestrian lane that time, while Nichkhun was on his phone, trying to get in touch with TOP who left the scene fuming with anger. They were too slow. Too slow to notice the familiar car passing their way.

 

“Victoria!” Nichkhun called, using his body to shield Victoria from the impact.

 

TOP saw it all. He saw it all.

 

-----

TOP buried his face to his palms, no longer able to stop his tears. He saw it all.

 

Flashback

 

“I’m sorry, we did the best that we could.” The doctor announced, looking at TOP who was covered with Nichkhun and Victoria’s blood. He had driven them from the scene to the hospital. “The woman’s in critical condition, but the man…”

 

 

-----

 

The smaller boy needed to go, so he waved his friend good bye.

 

Flashback

 

Victoria’s eyes fluttered. She had been sleeping for a week, with TOP constantly at her side. When she spoke, the first words that came out of were, “Nichkhun, you look tired.”

 

-----

 

Everyone in the room looked at TOP oddly; he seemed to have been in a trance ever since his morning walk at the Han River. When he returned, he rummaged through his things and placed them all neatly in one box. Since he had just returned from Japan a couple of months ago, most of his clothes were still left unpacked, making it easier for him to move them.

 

“You say you want to live in a separate apartment for the meantime?” Teddy asked, groggy from the night before.

 

“Ah, yeah.” TOP uttered.

 

“And why?” Jiyong followed through, noticing TOP’s expression.

 

“I just feel like it.” TOP answered vaguely.

 

Taeyang was about to say something, but Seungri stopped him from doing so. They all understood. They all knew about TOP, and how sometimes, he should just be left alone.

 

-----

 

Bom was standing in the corridor, waiting for the other girls so they could leave the apartment for their schedule. She stared at the door to the Bigbang apartment. She had thought about TOP a lot that morning. She wondered if TOP had done the same.

 

The door opened, revealing TOP who was carrying a few boxes.

 

“Oh, what’s with all the boxes?” Bom asked curiously.

 

TOP walked to the elevator, as if he hadn’t seen Bom at all. 

 

-----

 

(A/N: I couldn't stop writing like crazyyyy! Hahaha. I don't know what happened to me yesterday but I wrote three chapters consecutively! Anyway, this chapter's very short because it's kind of dramatic.  I've already finished the next chapter too, but I might just post it within the week so I can check for spelling errors or what nots. I really wanted to share this chapter as soon as possible to get your opinions though. Please comment!) 

 

What do you think of this chapter? While I was writing it I was listening to Be Still by The Fray. Thanks for subscribing and leaving comments. :)