3: Dara's Hairstyle

Nothing's Wrong

Flashback

Inside the room, people were dancing to a few songs by – wait for it-- Super Junior and Shinee. Who would have guessed that in an in-house celebration YG would be playing songs by a competitor company.  Seungri led the dance floor to the song ‘Dream Girl’ by Shinee.  Daesung and Taeyang soon followed, ushering a drunk Gummy who was wildly dancing along with them.

 

“Where did Bommie go?” Dara wondered loudly, searching the horizon. She looked around her and noticed that even CL and Minzy weren’t beside her anymore.  “Ahh-ah. At least say goodbye juseyo.”

 

Someone from behind tapped her shoulder. Dara turned back to look and saw GD.

 

“Oh, Jiyong-shi!” Dara exclaimed, surprised at the gesture. “Waeyo?”

 

“I heard you looking for Bom-shi.” he said, pointing at Bom and TOP who were at the balcony with Teddy. Bom was facing TOP and was attempting to do a weird dance. Sort of a tribal one but it seems she was trying to shuffle and do the Gangnam Style (in that short dress) at the same time. Then she looked behind and looked awfully surprised to see Teddy behind her. She started making these weird expressions and bowed apologetically at both of them.

 

This made GD laugh hard and Dara squirm in disbelief.

 

“Yah, what’s wrong with Park Bom? She’s been acting strange the whole night!” GD noticed, unable to control his grin at the scene. 

 

“Chincha Bommie-ah! Making a fool of yourself in front of our beloved TOP!” Dara blurted out, talking to herself.

 

“Beloved TOP?” GD heard, standing in front of her view and looking at her pryingly.  “TOP is… your beloved?”

 

“A-a-a-ni! I meant, I meant…” Dara stuttered, no proper sentence coming out of . Luckily she saw Bom coming back into the hall. “YAH PARK BOM! We need to talk!”

 

-----

 

A week later, GD and Teddy sat at one of the conference rooms with 2ne1’s concept team.  It was time they thought of what 2ne1’s teaser photo shoot would contain. The two were invited as per YG sajangnim’s advice. It seemed effective since they’ll be producing most of 2ne1’s debut songs. Of all people, the two of them knew what kind of theme suits the 2ne1 songs the best.

 

“OUR Beloved TOP huh?” GD thought, scribbling random words on his notebook as people were brainstorming on a good concept for 2ne1’s debut single. Slowly, his scribbles were turning into one big tornado. “Aish, those girl! Who got them into YG to begin with, huh? I even promised YG my involvement in their production if those two were chosen. And what do I get from that? Not even a thank you, I don’t recall a thank you from any of those two!”

 

“Psst, GD. Trying to engrave a hurricane on your notebook?” Teddy said in a low voice, while the team carried on with their ideas. “A little help from your creative mind, juseyo?”

 

“Not even a thank you and Dara calls me ‘Jiyong-shiiii’” GD resumed his train of thought, using his inner voice mockingly as he called himself Jiyong-shi. “It’s as if we’ve never worked together the past months! And Park Bom’s worse! With me she’s all ‘whatever Jiyong, I’m your noona,’ first time she sees TOP hyung and she acts all weird like his presence would affect her aura! Waeyo?! TOP returns home after a six month exclusion from the agency and suddenly he gets called beloved by those two? Even my omma doesn’t call me that!”

 

“…Needs to be more street. The song we’re thinking of using as the title track is called ‘Fire’. It’s medium tempo, strong  beats. It does not suit that concept. These girls need to be smokin’ hot, not cutesy or pretty… That’s not going to cut it at all.” said Teddy, who reacted to one of the suggested concepts for the 2ne1 photoshoot. “For example, Minzy… That long hair braided on both sides won’t do at all. She’s a fierce dancer. How about some edge? Make it short, really short. Up to the ears. And CL, How about curly hair and full bangs that reaches up to the eyes? It says ‘I ain’t looking at ridiculous boys like--”

 

“Yeah exactly they need to be ridiculous!” GD suddenly had a burst of idea. “Those girls are RIDICULOUS. Dara should sport dreadlocks or a pineapple hairstyle.”

 

“…Deh?”  The unnie in charge of the girls’ hairstyles wondered if GD was joking or serious.

 

“You know, like this…” GD stood up and proceeded to the whiteboard and drew hair resembling that of a pineapple. “You know what? We could go further with this idea and make her look like this.” He erased his first work and drew hair that stood up from Dara’s head like a coconut tree. “Extreme. Give her that.”

 

It took a while before anyone in the room could utter a word.

 

“Looks interesting…” Teddy oddly agreed to the suggestion, while the rest of the team were either shaking their heads or raising their eyebrows, as if they were being punked. “Yeah, yeah that could work. I’ve never seen a coconut tree hairstyle before. If Dara makes this one work it’s going to be revolutionary!”

 

One of the fashion stylists looked at GD and Teddy as if they were crazy; but with their authority, none of them could say otherwise.

 

“And for Park Bom, shave her head.” GD added, drawing a sphere and then putting eyes on it. Afterwards he went back to his seat. “Like that.”

 

“Ani, ani.” Even Teddy had to reject that suggestion. “Park Bom can’t be shaved, she’ll look like an alien.”

 

“Well, how about an alien concept then? That’s hardly ever done by female groups before.” GD stressed. “Ever seen SNSD shave their heads huh? Let’s do space jam! Make the girls come from outer space so they’ll be branded as people we’ve never seen before.”

 

“They don’t do alien because it’s creepy and scares away the guys.” One of guys from the concept team finally stated. GD glared at him. The scared guy gestured to zip his mouth from further saying anything else. “On second thought…”

 

“Aish, he’s right GD. Don’t push it. Park Bom’s supposed to be the y one in the group.” Teddy recalled. They had already discussed the girls’ image from prior meetings. CL would be ‘the baddest female’ as they often coined her, Minzy would be the street dancing maknae, Dara would be the wacky unnie and Bom would be the sultry unnie. “Hard to be y when everyone’s staring at her bald head. Let’s keep her hair straight and simple. Her clothes would do the work for her. But let’s see with Dara’s hairstyle. Not sure if it’ll work but it’s worth a shot.”

 

GD shot his eyes at the hair stylist. “Make sure she gets that coconut tree on her head, arrassou?”

 

-----

 

Flashback

 

“I… knew it.” Bom said slowly, darting her eyes at TOP’s. “I KNEW IT! I KNEW IT! I KNEW IT!” She started doing a goofy dance which consisted of shuffling and a bit of gangnam style. “You prick! I knew it all this time!”

 

“Bom-shi, what did you find out?” TOP changed his mode of speaking and looked at her curiously.

 

“Bom-shi? Ha-ha-ha! See if you can fool me with the politeness again!” Bom affirmed. TOP looked smug, suddenly actingg sternly like he did when they were first introduced.  Bom thought it weird that he addressed her so formally after calling her ‘Bombom’ of all nicknames he knew of her. Slowly, the thought registered to her.

 

“Don’t tell me… We’re not alone are we?” Bom whispered.

 

TOP nodded slightly, letting out a mischievous smirk and turning towards someone who was behind Bom. “Hyung, what are you doing here?”

 

“Oh, I didn’t realize you had company.” Teddy acknowledged playfully. “Hope you don’t mind Bom, I’m just lighting a smoke.”

 

“A-a-anniyeo oppa! Don’t mind me!” Bom turned to Teddy, whom she now saw clearly trying to stifle a laugh. “I mean definitely DO NOT mind me. Pretend I wasn’t here at all!”

 

“Okay, okay. I didn’t see you. I didn’t see all THAT.” Teddy chuckled. Then he motioned his cigarettes to TOP. “Want some?”

 

TOP was about to agree when he saw a red smudge on around Bom’s bottom area.

 

“Bom-shi I think you have something on your…” TOP started, stopping to realize that he definitely could not blurt out anything out loud anymore. He might not have a sister, but he does have mother. He knew exactly what it was.  He then said in a whisper. “.”

 

“Yah! You ert!” Bom screamed and punched TOP’s shoulder. She quickly walked towards the the banquet hall.

 

“Aish! Park Bom!” TOP called, holding Bom’s left hand for her to stop. He bent towards her ear and whispered once more, “I think you’re way past the ovulation phase, you get what I’m saying?”

 

“MWO?!” Bom shouted, even more violated with TOP’s language. She turned to TOP again and gave the guy a slap. “Are you calling me menopausal?! An ajumma?! Get out of my way!”

 

“Park Bom! Don’t go there!” TOP warned, but was prevented by Teddy.

 

“Dude, when girls are angry you do not want to mess with them.” Teddy advised. TOP didn’t mind and went on inside the hall to prevent Bom from further humiliation.

 

Bom stormed into the banquet hall. No sooner was she met up by Dara, who was clearly trying to avoid GD.

 

“YAH! Park Bom! We need to talk!” Dara called out. “What were you doing in there in front of TOP-shi and Teddy oppa?!”

 

“No way Dara! We are not discussing this now, I feel very angered by his behavior!” Bom replied, explain the details to Dara. “He pointed at my and called me menopausal!”

 

“Eh?! Why would he!” Dara inquired, checking Bom’s back side and realizing what TOP meant. “You sure he meant menopausal? Bommie you have a big stain on your back side!”

 

“What do you mean a big stain?!” Bom cried emotionally. Suddenly she was sobbing like a sappy broken hearted teenager.  “I’ve been standing around all night with a stain on my ?! Huuuuuuul! This is the WORST DAY of my life chinchaaaaaaaaa!”

 

“Shhh! People can hear you!” Dara silenced the crying Bom by covering . “Bommie, you have a big STAIN on your back side. You know, the kind of stain we get once a month?”

 

“Eh?!” Bom calmed down a little, checking her back. “Omo! I do! Ottoke?!?!”

 

“Wear this,” TOP said, ushering Bom to get his white tuxedo jacket.  

 

“Mwo? This is a white jacket! It’s no use!” Bom started to cry again, but pulled the jacket from TOP’s hands. “Why are you so terrible at this Tabi?! You’re always terrible at things!”

 

“Terrible?!” TOP sighed at the emotional wreckage in front of him. Luckily he was trained on saying the right things in this type of situation. “Yeah I’m terrible at this. Let me make it up to you by taking you guys home.”

 

“Who says we want to go home?” Bom asked angrily, using the jacket to wipe her tears instead.

 

“Yah…” TOP said in a low voice, standing behind Bom to block anyone from seeing her behind. “You can’t stay here, Park Bom. Go home now.

 

“WHAT DID YOU SAY?!” Bom shouted. Dara placed her hand back to Bom’s mouth for preventive measures.

 

“Ani, it’s okay TOP-shi. This is your night. We can take a cab home.” Dara argued, though she continued to wonder why Bom called TOP ‘Tabi.’ She figured this was because of the mood swings brought about by her… you know. “She’s been dying to go home since we got here anyway. Let me just tell CL and Minzy.”

 

-----

Bom stared at the ceiling, as she did every morning for the past week since TOP’s celebratory dinner. Every day she feared seeing TOP at the YG building. She had caused enough embarrassment to cause her a lifetime’s stay in YG.

 

“Aish! Why did he have to say ovulating to begin with?! Can’t he just be more direct about it?!” Bom thought, holding a pillow over her head. “Aigooo!! Ottoke?! What do I do when I see him? Maybe I should just quit YG to end my suffering! Aigoooo!!”

 

“Bommie-ah! I’m heading out first.” Dara opened the bedroom door, fully dressed for a dance rehearsal. She’s been assigned to appear at Taeyang’s music video called ‘I need a Girl,’ which is also the title track of his album. “It’s six thirty, so get up already arrassou? Don’t worry, I asked around and TOP won’t be back until Taeyang’s debut. No risk of seeing him this week too!”

 

“Chincha?” Bom reiterated, still recalling the most embarrassing incident of her whole career—that says a lot because she hasn’t debuted yet.

 

“Don’t stress about it!” Dara encouraged. “He’s probably forgotten about the incident already!”

 

“Stop making me feel better, Darong! Even Teddy oppa jokes about me now.”  

 

“Unnie, don’t forget about our meeting at 10 am with the concept team later, arrassou?” CL reminded Dara from the living room. “It’s about our upcoming photoshoot.”

 

“Arrassou!” Dara replied at CL. “You heard that? Get up, Park Bom. Fighting!”

 

----

The group entered the conference room where GD and Teddy were the day before. It was full of pictures and designs of different concepts. However, as soon as Dara entered, the first thing she noticed were the hair styles plastered on the whiteboard.

 

“Mwoya?!” Dara asked Jjangmae, the 2ne1 project group’s new manager. She was staring at the sketches of their hairstyle for the photoshoot. “This is my hair?!”

 

“Don’t sweat it Dara-shi,” the hairstylist mumbled in agreement. “It was either the coconut or the pineapple hairstyle. This is the less invasive hairstyle of the two.”

 

“That is an alfalfa… on your head.” Bom found humor in this instant.

 

“It was Jiyong’s idea.” Teddy ratted out. “But we could give it a try huh? I think it’ll look good on you. “

 

“I’m sorry oppa if I’m disrespectful… But how could you have agreed with this awful hair do?!” Dara pleaded for answers.  “Have I offended you in some way?!”

 

(A/N: As you may have noticed, the story I made is not coherent to the real 2ne1 and Bigbang. I've also made some modifications of their characters in comparison to how they act in real life. This is truly fictional guys, so I hope it is okay with you. Enjoy!)

The preceeding chapters have been sloppy and shallow for me. I guess it's because I'm still establishing the pacing of the story. I promise I'll write the fourth chapter with more depth. Thank you for subscribing! :) 
 
I appreciate constructive comments as well. THANK YOU!! :)